+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

We will finally be able to draft the "Best player available"

Reese has said in the past that our board is a mixture of best player available + need. Which if you think about it, really isn't the best player available, because your current "needs" might not match up with the best player available.

With the depth we have now, I believe we can actually focus on the best player available to us with in reason. Instead of going into the draft to focus on 1 position, we can now go a few ways. i.e. 1st round could be either WR, TE, OL

This allows us to avoid any David Wilson type mistakes in the draft and not panic when a team takes the 1 player you were focused on drafting. (Which we all know happened when Tampa jumped in front of us to draft Doug Martin).

I'm happy with the position the Giants have put themselves going into this draft. BPA is the best way to go imo.

Wilson was not a mistake though. Don't want to get into this again but people are giving up on him way too soon.

I don"t care which position player we draft as long as its that guy Barr from UCLA lol. We need an edge rusher from the LB position that can also cover the TE. We've needed that since Armstead retired.

Quote Originally Posted by titwio View Post
    I'm happy with the position the Giants have put themselves going into this draft. BPA is the best way to go imo.

Wilson was not a mistake though. Don't want to get into this again but people are giving up on him way too soon.
    +1.

if Wilson heals properly I expect he will make significant contributions to the team. hes not done yet imo.

I wonder if Gilbert or Dennard are both there at 12, would Reese draft either 1 if they are on his big board at 12? I would be shocked if the Lions dont draft one or the other at 10, but hey Prince dropped to the Giants 3 years ago.
    One day, not today, not tomorrow, not this season, probably not next season either but one day, you and I are gonna wake up and suddenly we're gonna be like every other team in every other sport where winning is everything and nothing else matters. And when that day comes, well thats, thats when we'll honor them--Jack Lengyel Marshall University

can't be true BPA. if a corner or safety is the best BPA i'd be pissed if we took them when that's where we have the best talent and depth.

Quote Originally Posted by idiotekniQues View Post
    can't be true BPA. if a corner or safety is the best BPA i'd be pissed if we took them when that's where we have the best talent and depth.
    yep, it comes down to Jerry Reese's board, and whom he think is the BPA at 12. I agree, the Giants are deep in the secondary, so I would think that CB or S would not be the pick at 12. I guess it all depends on who is still there at 12, other teams trading up or down, players who rise or fall etc. that will factor in to the BPA.
    One day, not today, not tomorrow, not this season, probably not next season either but one day, you and I are gonna wake up and suddenly we're gonna be like every other team in every other sport where winning is everything and nothing else matters. And when that day comes, well thats, thats when we'll honor them--Jack Lengyel Marshall University

I think this draft has more position possibilities than in the past, but I don't think it'll be purely BPA. Reese is pretty good at looking ahead and seeing future needs (like when he drafted Hank, knowing Linval may bolt).

I don't know how "Everyone" knows that JR wanted Martin and not Wilson. Then again, "Everyone" knew the Raiders stole McClain from us.

Based on our needs and the talent in the top half of the first round, I could see us going OLine, DLine, or CB. That's it. And the only CB I could see us getting is Dennard. . .he's so good, and only DRC is signed past this season.
    We need our coaches to assign playing time based on something other than player salary.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyt830 View Post
    I wonder if Gilbert or Dennard are both there at 12, would Reese draft either 1 if they are on his big board at 12? I would be shocked if the Lions dont draft one or the other at 10, but hey Prince dropped to the Giants 3 years ago.
    I could see them taking one of the corners to avoid paying Prince his second contract. I think it's unlikely but not out of the question. Gilbert imo would be hard to pass up if he's there. Especially if some of their key guys are gone already. He definitely fits the bill of BPA.

Right, but... say Reese goes true BPA at 12 and picks Gilbert, while Evans is still on the board. Typically I agree with JR going BPA no matter what (it's how he picked up JPP after all), but...

Wouldn't that situation annoy you? I mean, yay CB, but... not yay that we passed on a possibly amazing WR that is a mix of BPA+need.

"WE STOMPED YOU OUT" - 92, Hall of Fame Class of 2014