+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NFL Draft Loaded With WR Talent

http://nypost.com/2014/04/06/nfl-dra...ith-wr-talent/

Excerpt: "First in five-part series leading up to NFL Draft May 8-10. Next week: defensive ends, tackles and linebackers

Rating the prospects
    Post NFL writer Bart Hubbuch ranks the top wide receivers and tight ends in the May 8-10 draft:

Top 5 wide receivers

No.=Name=School=Ht.=Wt.

1. Sammy Watkins*=Clemson=6-1=210
    The complete package and a likely top-five pick.

2. Mike Evans*=Texas A&M=6-5=230
    Big, strong prospect who fights for every ball.

3. Marqise Lee*=USC=6-0=190
    Needs bulk but is a relentless, big-play receiver.

4. Odell Beckham Jr.*=LSU=5-11=200
    Prolific wideout who could thrive in a slot role.

5. Kelvin Benjamin*=Florida St.=6-5=240
    Huge target with long arms who only lacks speed.

Late riser

Brandin Cooks, Oregon State: Turned heads with a 4.33-second 40-yard dash, the fastest turned in by any WR at the combine.
    Dropping fast

Jarvis Landry, LSU: Stock plummeted when he ran a 4.77 at the combine, then left early due to injury.
    Small-school wonder

Jeff Janis, Saginaw Valley: Big, physical, reliable target who was a three-year starter and has respectable speed (4.42).

Top 5 tight ends

No.=Name=School=Ht.=Wt.

1. Eric Ebron*=North Carolina=6-4=245
    Poor pro day but still the class of a thin group.

2. Jace Amaro*=Texas Tech=6-5=260
    Big target put up big numbers in a wide-open offense.

3. Troy Niklas*=Notre Dame=6-7=270
    Converted defensive end who excels as a blocker.

4. C.J. Fiedorowicz=Iowa=6-7=265
    Lack of explosiveness is made up for with sure hands.

5. Austin Seferian-Jenkins*=Washington=6-6=275
    Won the Mackey Award as the country’s top tight end.

Late riser

Niklas: He’s no Tyler Eifert, but a solid combine and offseason have answered questions about his speed and hands.
    Dropping fast

Seferian-Jenkins: A DUI last year and foot surgery that forced him to miss the combine and pro day aren’t helping his case.
    Small-school wonder

Reggie Jordan, Missouri Western: A whopping 33 percent of his catches in college (17 out of 52) went for touchdowns.

*underclassman

What Giants might do

There is little doubt the Giants want to add a receiver and a tight end in the NFL Draft. At receiver, they gave up on Hakeem Nicks after two subpar seasons. They still have Victor Cruz, but behind him Rueben Randle and Jerrel Jernigan are young and fairly unproven, despite Randle’s team-high six TDs in 2013. They would have to be enticed at No. 12 by towering Mike Evans (Texas A&M). The Cruz-like Marqise Lee (USC) or huge, Plaxico Burress clone Kelvin Benjamin (Florida State) in the second round would make sense.

At tight end, the signing of Kellen Davis gives the Giants a big, experienced blocker, but the options behind him — Adrien Robinson, Larry Donnell and newly acquired veteran Daniel Fells — are not ideal. Making a first-round splash with Eric Ebron of North Carolina would be a departure for GM Jerry Reese, but going for Jace Amaro (Texas Tech) or the imposing Troy Niklas (Notre Dame) on the second day of the draft could work." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

How is Jordan Matthews not getting his due? 6'3 205 and runs 4.46. Runs great routes and has better hands than Michael Floyd coming out. I don't understand how people keep picking Benjamin over him.

The kid from Oregon State - Brandin Cooks is pretty interesting. He looks like he could be another Steve Smith (ex Carolina not Giants). Small, but solid. Plays with a chip on his shoulder. While 12 is way too high for him, if he's on the boards when we pick in the 2nd (which I doubt), I'd snatch him up in a NY Minute.

Good to hear that there's a chance to pick up NFL caliber WR talent outside the first 3 rounds. I'm in the minority who feels we're better off at WR than it appears at first glance. I'd rather use early picks to sure-up OLine, DLine, and CB (looking beyond this season at CB).
    We need our coaches to assign playing time based on something other than player salary.

Quote Originally Posted by fletch842 View Post
    The kid from Oregon State - Brandin Cooks is pretty interesting. He looks like he could be another Steve Smith (ex Carolina not Giants). Small, but solid. Plays with a chip on his shoulder. While 12 is way too high for him, if he's on the boards when we pick in the 2nd (which I doubt), I'd snatch him up in a NY Minute.
    I would definitely take Cooks in the 2nd round if he's there. The Giants already have a lot of smallish receivers but I don't think they can pass on Cooks there. If Matthews was still available, I would go with Jordan, for sure.

huge fan of jordan matthews. He's got the size and speed plus he's a great kid by all accounts who studies the game hard

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by gmen43 View Post
    huge fan of jordan matthews. He's got the size and speed plus he's a great kid by all accounts who studies the game hard
    Matthews or Allen Robinson in the 2nd.. Fiedorowicz or Niklas (if he falls) in the 3rd..

Niklas would give me a woody if we got him in the 3rd. Yea, I said it.
    We need our coaches to assign playing time based on something other than player salary.

Niklas reminds be of Bavaro, so what's not to like!

Matthews, Cooks, or Benjamin, in that order. Though i believe Benjamin is Stephen Hill 2.0, who hasn't done much with the jets.