+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    70% of his catches are within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage.
    Is that true? Watkins is a really physical receiver.. I don't see the comparison.. Maybe Austin and Cooks

Quote Originally Posted by Carter.525 View Post
    Is that true? Watkins is a really physical receiver.. I don't see the comparison.. Maybe Austin and Cooks
    He just isn't an outside receiver. He wasent in college.

Can he develop into one? Maybe, but it's a projection.

As of right now he has a nearly identical skill set to Tavon Austin

Pine Barrens, NJ.. where we still hunt dinner.
    Skip, who is good enough for you to draft at 12? It's seems like you don't like anyone. What guys do you like?

"Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise."
    - Homer J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by TAILGATIN' View Post
    Skip, who is good enough for you to draft at 12? It's seems like you don't like anyone. What guys do you like?
    Barr or Donald for me. If neither then trade down and get Shazier

Pine Barrens, NJ.. where we still hunt dinner.
    Barr or Donald for me. If neither then trade down and get Shazier
    Gotcha, me too. I'd be fine w Evans or Ebron too if they go that route.

"Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise."
    - Homer J. Simpson

Maybe they can trade it to the Redskins.

He just isn't an outside receiver. He wasent in college.

Can he develop into one? Maybe, but it's a projection.

As of right now he has a nearly identical skill set to Tavon Austin
    When I watch tape of Watkins, I don't see Tavon Austin.. Maybe they ran the same offense in college..

yeah the watkins/tavon comparison is completely inaccurate. the better wording would be "Watkins role in his collegiate teams offense was similar to the role Austin was used in with his collegiate team." but even that isnt accurate.

I am not a big Watkins guy, but still, the comparison is just not a good one. Both are fast, but Watkins has a bigger frame and is a more physical WR. While he wasn't used as a perimeter WR the way they are used in the NFL, its unfair to say he can't or isnt a perimeter WR in the NFL because of that. He was used on a ton of bubble screens, go routes, and come backs. Yes. he didnt run a full route tree. But, really just a bad comparison especially because while Austin is best used inside,STL isnt just going to ignore trying to develop him into a perimeter WR as well.

With Watkins, that development should be substantially easier because of the physical differences. Watkins possesses all the qualities necessary to be a legitimate outside WR. Whereas Austin may not have the size. really just terrible comparison anyway you slice it.

Like I said, whether he can do it or not isn't really the issue. It's a projection either way because to this point he hasent.

Tavon Austin Sammy Watkins comparison is horrible

Because they were used similarly schematically that means they're "same player". Awful. Watkins has superior hands in every imaginable way, its like a vice grip the way he catches the football. Hes bigger than Austin and shows the ability to high point the ball. The body control he showed in that catch vs ohio state was awesome. Tavon Austin can't make plays like this

http://www.youtube.com/embed/8hTt1aghnfQ

and look at this play against auburn:
    http://youtu.be/8hTt1aghnfQ?t=1m34s

They aren't many human beings or players in the nfl can make that play above. This guy is one of the better wr prospects to come out in years as per greg Cosell and mike mayock. Only Adrian Peterson did what Watkins did as a freshman in college in recent history. Just because he may be a flanker slot type of guy in this league doesn't mean he's 'the same player' as Austin. He'll be a superior pro and make an impact in his rookie season immediately.