+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Evolution of the game

Veteran

Evolution of the game

**Bold prediction: As a LSU fan I am saying right now, J.Landry is going to light up his pro day and definitely improve on his combine numbers I'm thinking 4.45 40 /33-34 inch Vert as a start.**

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The recent trend of the NFL offense is now loosening the reins on the old model, where the RB was if not featured an integral part of the offense and a key to winning. The NFL is now moving to a RB by committee league has been for 2-3 years now, while I do not agree with it (being a high-school RB myself) it is not the norm, with more passing prolific teams, built to air it out. the numbers for some teams went from 60-40 run-pass a couple years back to 70-30, thats a staggering imbalance.

With this information, RB's are not valued as high draft picks anymore, in the 2013 NFL draft a RB was not taken in the first round *G.Bernard pick 37, now this could be a annual trend thing a the year prior there were 3 RB's taken in the first *T.Richardson pick 3 *D.Martin pick 31 *D.Wilson pick 32.
    2011 only one went in the first *M.Ingram pick 28, but in 2010 *C.Spiller was the 10th pick.

How will the trend hold up this year? will a RB be taken in the first round or will we wait till the Second round to see them come off the board. If its the second round then you would have to think a run on the piston is possible, would that force our hand a little to alter our draft? We might not have the luxury of getting a good prospect as late as 3rd round we might be picking from the 4-5th round pile at that point if a run does happen.

Personally I have been raving about Sankey, prior to his climb to Mayock #1 RB list and as much as I want him on this team, there might be better value, BPA/need in the second round than him. this is an interesting dilemma as I feel RB is not as solid as we would like to think and can still be addressed.

where do you feel is the proper round to get a RB this draft?
    who do you like in that round?
    would you be opposed to a RB in the 2nd?

Retweeted by Rueben Randle
    @Katdaddyjay 17h
    @RuebenRandle @OBJ_3 @Giants
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ps625a51fb.jpg

It's all cyclical...in 10 years RBs could be the face of the offense again

Quote Originally Posted by rainierjef View Post
    **Bold prediction: As a LSU fan I am saying right now, J.Landry is going to light up his pro day and definitely improve on his combine numbers I'm thinking 4.45 40 /33-34 inch Vert as a start.**

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The recent trend of the NFL offense is now loosening the reins on the old model, where the RB was if not featured an integral part of the offense and a key to winning. The NFL is now moving to a RB by committee league has been for 2-3 years now, while I do not agree with it (being a high-school RB myself) it is not the norm, with more passing prolific teams, built to air it out. the numbers for some teams went from 60-40 run-pass a couple years back to 70-30, thats a staggering imbalance.

With this information, RB's are not valued as high draft picks anymore, in the 2013 NFL draft a RB was not taken in the first round *G.Bernard pick 37, now this could be a annual trend thing a the year prior there were 3 RB's taken in the first *T.Richardson pick 3 *D.Martin pick 31 *D.Wilson pick 32.
    2011 only one went in the first *M.Ingram pick 28, but in 2010 *C.Spiller was the 10th pick.

How will the trend hold up this year? will a RB be taken in the first round or will we wait till the Second round to see them come off the board. If its the second round then you would have to think a run on the piston is possible, would that force our hand a little to alter our draft? We might not have the luxury of getting a good prospect as late as 3rd round we might be picking from the 4-5th round pile at that point if a run does happen.

Personally I have been raving about Sankey, prior to his climb to Mayock #1 RB list and as much as I want him on this team, there might be better value, BPA/need in the second round than him. this is an interesting dilemma as I feel RB is not as solid as we would like to think and can still be addressed.

where do you feel is the proper round to get a RB this draft?
    who do you like in that round?
    would you be opposed to a RB in the 2nd?
    I don't think there will be a RB picked in the first. I could see anywhere up to have taken in 2nd though. I think Mason, Hill, Hyde, and Sankey will be taken in the 2nd round. That is probably where the best value is. K. Carey could also be a 2nd rounder if a team is looking for his style of running. I think the earliest the Giants should consider drafting a RB is the 3rd round. I would like them not to pick one there though. Charles Sims in the 4th is the earliest I would pick if I was JR. He is an all around RB who is very comparable to Matt Forte. He has nice elusiveness and great ability to catch out of the backfield. He doesn't have the greatest speed but there aren't a lot of overly fast RB's in this draft...

After that there are a lot of solid rotational guys that can be had in the 5th-6th round I think honestly...Guys like James White, James Wilder Jr, Marion Grice, and Storm Johnson could all make an impact right away in a RB by committee offense which is trending.

I don't think RB's will be taken in the first really anymore unless they are a great talent that makes them the BPA

S/O to Flip Empty for the sig

Veteran
    I don't think one will go first round either, I also feel because of the state of affairs at the position that the run on RB's in the second and early third round might not leave a charles sims to be available in the 4th. I think if you start waiting to the 3rd round for one you will be picking from the late 4th-5th round RB pile and thats a reach.

@Katdaddyjay 17h

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by gmen43 View Post
    It's all cyclical...in 10 years RBs could be the face of the offense again
    very true, but thats until one coach proves you win by ground an pound and that RB in that system needs to put up 2k probably to start reverting the league to the old ways, or we need another Adrian peterson to enter the league. either way its going to take a while before the love affair with the air attack subsides.

@Katdaddyjay 17h

Pine Barrens, NJ.. where we still hunt dinner.
    It's changed a little, but I just don't think the last two years of RB classes have been that good, especially this year.

"Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise."
    - Homer J. Simpson

Veteran
    Jarvis Landry cut down from 205 to 196 in weight. If you want to watch the LSU pro day
    http://www.lsusports.net/mediaPortal...r.dbml?catid=0
    http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle...DB_OEM_ID=5200

GEAUX TIGERS

@Katdaddyjay 17h

LOL he got ROCKED today

+ Reply to Thread