+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Carl Banks scoffs at Clowney-LT comparisons.

Eli: "You actually caught a pass!"

Needless to say (but I'll say it anyway), I concur with Banks' scoff.

Clowney is a freak of nature, but lt changed the game. I remember mel kiper called jamarcus russell the next John elway. Lol
    Close or you hit the bricks

Quote Originally Posted by sharick88 View Post
    Clowney is a freak of nature, but lt changed the game. I remember mel kiper called jamarcus russell the next John elway. Lol
    I still dont really like this argument.

The changed the game thing was a schematic issue as much as it was LT.

Put any pass rushing LB (demarcus ware, aldon smith, etc.) in a 34 defense back in the early 80s and teams are going to have to change how they block him.

When the next LT comes around, we'll all know it, and if someone has to tell us, then the answer will be "no".

Until then, yes, Bank is correct, it's ridiculous.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    I still dont really like this argument.

The changed the game thing was a schematic issue as much as it was LT.

Put any pass rushing LB (demarcus ware, aldon smith, etc.) in a 34 defense back in the early 80s and teams are going to have to change how they block him.
    The 3-4 was around the NFL for a while before LT.

And while I can't remember a 3-4 team with the linebackers that the Giants had, it was LT that changed the game more than the scheme.

To suggest otherwise is like arguing the Chicago Bulls' success was as much due to the Triangle Offense as Michael Jordan.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

I agreed. There is a thread in the Draft section.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the mouth."

I will admit I have not gone crazy looking into the whole Clowny Frenzie but making one crushing tackle when you didn't get blocked and then being put up as a possible 1st rounder sounds crazy to me. Remember it's men against boys in college, not like LT where it was a man beating down other men making them look like boys.
    We'll see in time but does anyone remember the Boz, lot of Hype but never really put it all together in the NFL.
    Forget the Past, Live for the Future!

I don't blame Banks for getting upset about the Clowney/LT comparison. It's like people that compare Manziel to Steve Young or Brett Favre. It's too early to compare a player that's coming out of college to a HOF player.
    One of these teams is not like the others

Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    The 3-4 was around the NFL for a while before LT.

And while I can't remember a 3-4 team with the linebackers that the Giants had, it was LT that changed the game more than the scheme.

To suggest otherwise is like arguing the Chicago Bulls' success was as much due to the Triangle Offense as Michael Jordan.
    The 34 was used without any of the linebackers rushing the QB. All four dropped in coverage.

That's why I said putting any other pass rushing OLB would have accomplished the same thing.