+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Delicreep View Post
    ...is there anybody here who didn't have those same 5 questions?

If you didn't, you should have.

But since I assume Eli followed the advice of team Dr's, I have every reason to believe that all of those answers are simple and keep in line with what was determined to be the best course of action.
    He should have sought outside medical advice.
    Then this would be behind him and he'd be back to being fast.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    your buddy TC wouldnt have liked that. Prob throw Eli under the bus and ship him off to Carolina....
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Joking aside, I assume that almost every player seeks outside medical advice for major things.

Given this particular injury, I'm not sure that opinion varied all that much.
    This space for rent

Quote Originally Posted by Roosevelt View Post
    Are you calling the Star Ledger a "Rag" simply based off this one article? I've always enjoyed reading the SL, but that was mainly Mike Garafolo. I don't know anything about this writer.

But once again, we have the double standard Rudyy eluded to awhile back. The simple questioning of Eli is a problem for you. I would like to remind you of how important Eli is to our franchise. And while I would always give Eli the benefit of the doubt I don't think the questions are out of line.
    What you say has merit, but is not the issue in this case, in my view. The issue here is why is a paid (ie, professional) sports "journalist" asking rhetorical questions, of no one in particular, in a public forum about THE key player on his readership's team of interest? As someone else in this thread asked, aren't these questions all of us are asking? Yes, they are. But "all of us" don't have access to individuals--Eli, or a coach, or any official Giants spokesperson--who might actually KNOW the answer to any or all of the questions raised. The writer does (or he should, being that his job includes covering the Giants).

His job, as a sports journalist writing for a New Jersey news publication, presumably includes the shedding of some light and/or perspective on all things Giants related. Instead, in this instance he simply asks questions of no one in particular--just like any of us (amateur and unpaid-to-report) schmoes do here--which has the potential effect of yelling "fire" in a crowded theater.

The writer then finishes his piece with a definitive "in any case, Eli is past his prime" (or words to that effect). That may or may not be the case. That has certainly been an ongoing topic of debate among fans on this board. But that's the writer's OPINION, an opinion definitely NOT shared by all, whether a fan or a pundit or a coach or other players, former and current. The history of NFL quarterbacks --and the career to date of Eli--reveals no cause for this opinion to be absolute or definitive.

This is a very amateurish article, coming from a respected news publication, that has the smell of yellow journalism covering some local politician embroiled in a scandal, rather than a piece of sports coverage that has some answers about questions we fans might have.

This has nothing to do with any double standard in discussing Eli, or with any defensiveness by "Eli homers" as has been hinted at in this thread by others.

THAT's the "big deal".

I think this is a pretty juvenile article. If he truly did follow the team he'd know the answers to just about all of them.

1. Common knowledge that Eli sprained his ankle pretty bad the last game of the season. Even says during his press release regarding the surgery that it's related to that injury not healing quite right.

2. He didn't injure it playing basketball. It's just that the workout at Duke showed him that the ankle wasn't quite right. It's probably the first real football exercise he's done since the end of the season. So it would make sense that it's when he would notice. So no, neither Eli nor the Giants have to back-up any claim, it's pretty self explanatory.

3. Another question answered in the press release on the subject. He and the Giants opted to rehab the injury after the season, he rehabbed all winter. Sometimes you just don't know if something healed right until after you push it. This was the first time he did, which confirmed it was going to need surgery. Afterwards decision was made pretty quickly.

4. Not much, OTA's haven't even started yet and he'll be back by then. So, he's literally not missing any official practice time on this.

5. Ummm who knows? This is hardly a career threatening injury and it's pretty common place in sports. Only thing I worry about is how this'll effect his blazing speed.
    All Hail The New York Giants!!

No problem looking into any allegations he got hurt playing basketball but does not appear based in fact

Quote Originally Posted by gmen46 View Post
    What you say has merit, but is not the issue in this case, in my view. The issue here is why is a paid (ie, professional) sports "journalist" asking rhetorical questions, of no one in particular, in a public forum about THE key player on his readership's team of interest? As someone else in this thread asked, aren't these questions all of us are asking? Yes, they are. But "all of us" don't have access to individuals--Eli, or a coach, or any official Giants spokesperson--who might actually KNOW the answer to any or all of the questions raised. The writer does (or he should, being that his job includes covering the Giants).

His job, as a sports journalist writing for a New Jersey news publication, presumably includes the shedding of some light and/or perspective on all things Giants related. Instead, in this instance he simply asks questions of no one in particular--just like any of us (amateur and unpaid-to-report) schmoes do here--which has the potential effect of yelling "fire" in a crowded theater.

The writer then finishes his piece with a definitive "in any case, Eli is past his prime" (or words to that effect). That may or may not be the case. That has certainly been an ongoing topic of debate among fans on this board. But that's the writer's OPINION, an opinion definitely NOT shared by all, whether a fan or a pundit or a coach or other players, former and current. The history of NFL quarterbacks --and the career to date of Eli--reveals no cause for this opinion to be absolute or definitive.

This is a very amateurish article, coming from a respected news publication, that has the smell of yellow journalism covering some local politician embroiled in a scandal, rather than a piece of sports coverage that has some answers about questions we fans might have.

This has nothing to do with any double standard in discussing Eli, or with any defensiveness by "Eli homers" as has been hinted at in this thread by others.

THAT's the "big deal".
    I'm not going to defend this writer as this article does read more like a NY tabloid than a Dave Anderson story, but that's sports news or news in general today.

Since Eli just had surgery it's not as if the writer could obtain the answers just yet, so you throw the questions out there and IF there's a story, you look like a hero simply because you questioned it first.

As for Eli being past his prime; that's not an opinion - It's just a rather simple fact of life in the NFL. It's a young man's game.
    http://boards.giants.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25347&dateline=138526  4905

I'm not going to defend this writer as this article does read more like a NY tabloid than a Dave Anderson story, but that's sports news or news in general today.

Since Eli just had surgery it's not as if the writer could obtain the answers just yet, so you throw the questions out there and IF there's a story, you look like a hero simply because you questioned it first.

As for Eli being past his prime; that's not an opinion - It's just a rather simple fact of life in the NFL. It's a young man's game.
    Yes but Eli is different.
    Eli is Dorian Gray.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

It is an opinion. It can't become fact until Eli's career is over. Look at Tony Romo - he had one of his best seasons last year at the age of 33. Peyton Manning had his best season last year at the age of 37. Philip Rivers, supposedly "done" coming into 2013, had one of his best seasons as well.

There is no set age for the inevitable drop-off in talent, it can happen at any time. Until it can be proven, it is opinion only.

Yes but Eli is different.
    Eli is Dorian Gray.

Ah, a man who is so wise in the way of science. :-)
    http://boards.giants.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25347&dateline=138526  4905