+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders or Walter Payton....WHO was better ??

Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders or Walter Payton....WHO was better ??

All three were great, but if I had to choose...........hands down Barry Sanders would win. He had no help at QB nor did he have a super star receiver to deflect attention to him. Yet he continued to make plays and produce yards.

Payton was probably the best all around back.

Everyone knows that Emmitt shattered Payton's rushing record, but his total yards from scrimmage was just barely eclipsed by #22 even though Emmitt played 2 extra seasons.

Sanders was the best pure runner in the history of the game, and Emmitt may be the greatest of all time, but I'm taking Sweetness as the best.

Jim Brown is the best ever at the position IMO, but since we are talking about these 3, I am picking Barry Sanders out of the lot, who would have had all of those records if he didn't retire as early as he did.
    Close or you hit the bricks

#1 Sweetness
    #2 Emmit
    #3 Sanders

Each had their different running styles, but Superstars !!!
    1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by brownelvis54 View Post
    All three were great, but if I had to choose...........hands down Barry Sanders would win. He had no help at QB nor did he have a super star receiver to deflect attention to him. Yet he continued to make plays and produce yards.
    Smith isn't in this conversation.

It's definitely NOT Barry Sanders... In my limited memory of the era, I seem to recall that he had far too many no gains or lost yardage. He would do nothing for most of the game and then all of the sudden he would break a 50 yard run or something like that and that's where most of his yards for the game would come from. I prefer consistent yardage gained rather than a home run every so often.

one word... Bo

Quote Originally Posted by 0 Blue Meanie 0 View Post
    It's definitely NOT Barry Sanders... In my limited memory of the era, I seem to recall that he had far too many no gains or lost yardage. He would do nothing for most of the game and then all of the sudden he would break a 50 yard run or something like that and that's where most of his yards for the game would come from. I prefer consistent yardage gained rather than a home run every so often.
    You neglected to take into account that for the most part of his career, he was a part of teams that weren't so great. Everyone knew he was going to get the ball.

For me, it's a toss-up between Payton and Sanders. Emmitt was great, but I don't put him in the same category with Payton and Sanders.
    One of these teams is not like the others

+ Reply to Thread