+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Toss up between Sanders and Payton depending on what you like out of a back.

Smith isnt even in the discussion. Not because he was a cowboy or that I dont like him, he just had better support and compiled a lot more. Hes in the low top ten

Quote Originally Posted by sharick88 View Post
    Jim Brown is the best ever at the position IMO, but since we are talking about these 3, I am picking Barry Sanders out of the lot, who would have had all of those records if he didn't retire as early as he did.
    Agree 100%.

Forget the records, even. Both Brown and Sanders --in different eras--did things as RB that no contemporary or subsequent era RBs seemed able to do, and looked "mahvelous" doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by 0 Blue Meanie 0 View Post
    It's definitely NOT Barry Sanders... In my limited memory of the era, I seem to recall that he had far too many no gains or lost yardage. He would do nothing for most of the game and then all of the sudden he would break a 50 yard run or something like that and that's where most of his yards for the game would come from. I prefer consistent yardage gained rather than a home run every so often.
    You obviously did not see him play much, if that's your take away on Sanders. It's true there were some games he did that. But that does not describe his 10 year career. And, that ability you describe actually made all defenses dread facing him--because no matter how good a job any given defense did vs him, they KNEW at some point he was going to destroy them.

Unfortunately for Sanders and the Lions, the team had no defense, no pass game to help him out.

Quote Originally Posted by gmen46 View Post
    Agree 100%.

Forget the records, even. Both Brown and Sanders --in different eras--did things as RB that no contemporary or subsequent era RBs seemed able to do, and looked "mahvelous" doing it.
    Brown was ahead of his time. We certainly saw other players with similar traits, but he was basically Eric Dlckerson/Adrian Peterson/Bo Jackson/Herschal Walker in the late 50s early 60s.

Quote Originally Posted by DSP View Post
    Toss up between Sanders and Payton depending on what you like out of a back.

Smith isnt even in the discussion. Not because he was a cowboy or that I dont like him, he just had better support and compiled a lot more. Hes in the low top ten
    That's always the knock against Smith... he had better support, better offensive line, etc.

Not to mention, his offensive line was compiled of a bunch of late round draft picks, USFL players, and converted DL guys. HOF'er Larry Allen didn't come around until 1994, after Emmitt had 3 rushing titles, MVP and SB MVP. Also, the best team that we had in the dynasty years went 0-2 without Smith in the lineup. And Emmitt's last good season of 1200 yds, 9 tds was when he was 31 and everyone but LA was gone.

Smith was more important to the success of the Cowboys than the Cowboys were to his success.

But just from a running standpoint, the guy posed problems. He was extremely tough to get a good hit on because he had impeccable balance and was built like a bowling ball (5'9" 215-220)... by comparison Peterson is 6'1" 217, Marshawn Lynch 5'11" 215.

I don't think he's better than Sanders or Payton, but I think he definitely deserves to be in their company.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Ntegrase96 View Post
    Payton was probably the best all around back.

Everyone knows that Emmitt shattered Payton's rushing record, but his total yards from scrimmage was just barely eclipsed by #22 even though Emmitt played 2 extra seasons.

Sanders was the best pure runner in the history of the game, and Emmitt may be the greatest of all time, but I'm taking Sweetness as the best.
    Emmitt also had the best line in NFL history to help his cause. A fine runner all the same.

Payton for me.

Bench Player
    Well from the list, my vote goes to Barry..Walter was great, cannot say anything about that man that has not been said. Emmitt, well he had a line and a bunch of other players on the Cowboys that other D players had to keep an eye on. Now Barry, he was mainly by himself and the defenses were designed to stop him, as he had no other weapons. Nobody that I know made NFL'ers look as silly as he did when they were trying to stop him..Ask Rod Woodson how it was trying to stop him, had him lined up, Barry makes a cut, and pop.. there goes his ACL..Yeah I know you can say it was freak accident, but Barry doesn't make that sick cut, Rod gets up and walks back to the huddle...
    Emmitt stayed to get the record, to me, that is more a sign it was about him than team, as for Barry, he walked away ahead of his time, so Emmitt would not have even been close if Barry played a few years longer..As for Sweetness, he just played ball like it was supposed to be played, and though not a Bears fan, I still think Ditka fu**ed him over in the Superbowl and let Perry score that TD. I know Ditka feels like crap about it and should!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hobie1 View Post
    Well from the list, my vote goes to Barry..Walter was great, cannot say anything about that man that has not been said. Emmitt, well he had a line and a bunch of other players on the Cowboys that other D players had to keep an eye on. Now Barry, he was mainly by himself and the defenses were designed to stop him, as he had no other weapons. Nobody that I know made NFL'ers look as silly as he did when they were trying to stop him..Ask Rod Woodson how it was trying to stop him, had him lined up, Barry makes a cut, and pop.. there goes his ACL..Yeah I know you can say it was freak accident, but Barry doesn't make that sick cut, Rod gets up and walks back to the huddle...
    Emmitt stayed to get the record, to me, that is more a sign it was about him than team, as for Barry, he walked away ahead of his time, so Emmitt would not have even been close if Barry played a few years longer..As for Sweetness, he just played ball like it was supposed to be played, and though not a Bears fan, I still think Ditka fu**ed him over in the Superbowl and let Perry score that TD. I know Ditka feels like crap about it and should!!
    That's another misconception.., that Emmitt stayed to break the record. He broke the record half way through his last season with Dallas, before he was RELEASED. So he was still under contract. Guess he was supposed to quit like Sanders to prove he was all about the team...?

While Emmitt played 15 long years in the NFL, 2 pointless ones with AZ, he actually broke Payton's record in his 13th year. Ya know, the same year that Payton played to? He got the record in game 193 of his career. Just 3 games more than Payton had in his.

Did he want the record? Probably. Was he a "me" player? Nah. Did he spend an inordinate amount of time and extend his career just to break the record? The numbers say "no".

Barry, because he played on crappy Detroit teams

BEAT THE EAGLES PERRY!

ELI-MINATED

Quote Originally Posted by Ntegrase96 View Post
    That's always the knock against Smith... he had better support, better offensive line, etc.

Not to mention, his offensive line was compiled of a bunch of late round draft picks, USFL players, and converted DL guys. HOF'er Larry Allen didn't come around until 1994, after Emmitt had 3 rushing titles, MVP and SB MVP. Also, the best team that we had in the dynasty years went 0-2 without Smith in the lineup. And Emmitt's last good season of 1200 yds, 9 tds was when he was 31 and everyone but LA was gone.

Smith was more important to the success of the Cowboys than the Cowboys were to his success.

But just from a running standpoint, the guy posed problems. He was extremely tough to get a good hit on because he had impeccable balance and was built like a bowling ball (5'9" 215-220)... by comparison Peterson is 6'1" 217, Marshawn Lynch 5'11" 215.

I don't think he's better than Sanders or Payton, but I think he definitely deserves to be in their company.
    I actually agree with your take on Smith. As an obvious "unlover" of the Cowboys, I had tremendous respect for him as a runner and as he was publicly perceived. I share your belief the Cowboys needed him more than he needed the Cowboys. My guess is that Aikman might well have been his #1 fan, and would not have taken kindly to the Boys not signing a new contract with Smith in 93, had that occurred (as unlikely as that prospect was, the process DID go on a bit long for your taste, I'm sure!).

But for pure enjoyment of the experience of watching a RB, I still hold Brown, Sanders, and Gale Sayers at the top of their class.