+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Melo

Quote Originally Posted by DSP View Post
    The Knicks personel decisions are just baffling. Even a novice hoops fan would know building a team around 2 offensive forwards isnt going to work. You cant bank on 2 guys to put up 60 a night combined without exceptional defense and rebounding players around them is insane. A monumental chemistry failure.

Neither Melo or Amari are guys id want to be the cornerstone of my team. Melo is full of himself, hogs the ball and is a lazy defender and Amari is a walking injury (still one of my favorite players even when he was in Pheonix though). Its a shame because if he were durable he could have been one of the all time great forwards. Melo could have been too if he had worked to hecome a complete player but despite being an often brilliant scorer I dont think his legacy will stand the test of time once he calls it a career. If I had to pick one I would have built around AS because he is a better team player. Melo is not a guy I can see leading a team to a ring.

Also, neither of them belongs in a fast paced offense.

Chandler was never a guy I considered a true starting center. He is a good defender and can contribute a bit on the scoreboard but just doesnt have the strength to be a consistent presense in the paint. To me he is a valuable utility player but not a starter.

Its terrible how defense and team play has become such a lost art in the NBA now. Most of these teams built with pros who have a one on one street ball mentality would get embarrased by the old school championship squads that played team ball as it was meant. Ball control and defense should be the top priority of any basketball team, and in any sport for that matter. You can r***le d***le all you like but the way to win is to control the tempo of the game instead of a scoring race. I have two young cousins that play ball in school and local youth leagues and I always stress defense and solid passing to them first and foremost.

I played 2 years of HS ball and despite being possibly the worst shooter in the history of the game I always had a spot in the rotation by being a tenacious defender. It boggles my mind that so many millionaire pros neglect such a basic neccessity of the game like that.
    +1M awesome post, well wrote!!!

(I agree with you 100% about (healthy/ in his prime) STAT over Melo as cornerstones...and 125% about Chandler.)

you guys watching Portland?

Aldridge is a beast, pure scorer and Lilliard is the kind of PG I'd love...ironically Lopez is as soft as Chandler...but their bench is more productive then what we had.

NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI

The Knicks personel decisions are just baffling. Even a novice hoops fan would know building a team around 2 offensive forwards isnt going to work. You cant bank on 2 guys to put up 60 a night combined without exceptional defense and rebounding players around them is insane. A monumental chemistry failure.

Neither Melo or Amari are guys id want to be the cornerstone of my team. Melo is full of himself, hogs the ball and is a lazy defender and Amari is a walking injury (still one of my favorite players even when he was in Pheonix though). Its a shame because if he were durable he could have been one of the all time great forwards. Melo could have been too if he had worked to hecome a complete player but despite being an often brilliant scorer I dont think his legacy will stand the test of time once he calls it a career. If I had to pick one I would have built around AS because he is a better team player. Melo is not a guy I can see leading a team to a ring.

Chandler was never a guy I considered a true starting center. He is a good defender and can contribute a bit on the scoreboard but just doesnt have the strength to be a consistent presense in the paint. To me he is a valuable utility player but not a starter.

Its terrible how defense and team play has become such a lost art in the NBA now. Most of these teams built with pros who have a one on one street ball mentality would get embarrased by the old school championship squads that played team ball as it was meant. Ball control and defense should be the top priority of any basketball team, and in any sport for that matter. You can r***le d***le all you like but the way to win is to control the tempo of the game instead of a scoring race. I have two young cousins that play ball in school and local youth leagues and I always stress defense and solid passing to them first and foremost.

I played 2 years of HS ball and despite being possibly the worst shooter in the history of the game I always had a spot in the rotation by being a tenacious defender. It boggles my mind that so many millionaire pros neglect such a basic neccessity of the game like that.
    Great post. The NBA is a superstar driven league, with the emphasis more on individual players than team; much to the detriment of the sport imo.

Look at the Spurs. Every year they have one of the highest winning %'s and are competing for a title. They don't have any TRUE superstars anymore. Duncan was in his prime, but now he is just very good.(btw how long has he been in the league, seems like he has been there since the 80s!!) Parker is a great PG, but not really on the level of CP3 and others. They win with amazing defense, ball control, sharing the ball, and great coaching. They are the last remnant of the "ols school" mentality, and they win a lot of games.

Good post, but I just want to clear something.

Some of the best defensive teams are playing in the playoffs right now.

Pacers
    Heat
    Clippers
    Chicago

Chicago is struggling with defense now because Wall and Beal are tearing it up, same with the Pacers. Teague is killing them.
    However they are and have been the top 2 defensive teams.

Banned
    In response to the last few posters.

I didnt mean to imply defense is a completely lost art in the NBA but its still criminally overlooked by fans and executives. I dont think thats entirely their fault though because so many kids dont work on their D as much as they should so there arent enough good defenders to go around.

Btw in my 2 years of HS ball I actually shot 50% from the field. I once made a nothing but net 3 pointer that I lobbed up in a panic. Nobody was more shocked than I was. So in 2 years I was 1-2 in shooting lol

...hey I was 2nd string tailback and a Free Safety/ NickelBack on D...and undersized at both during that time. the glory days of senior high lol

Cant blame the guy for want ing a ring before he retires. The knicks didnt pull it off but it was a good effort.
    We'll I agree. However I may be in the minority but I believe Phil Jackson will make this team a winner again with or without Melo. It may not be till 2015 or 2016 but he will get it done.

Wouldn't it be ironic if Melo leaves and they win it all next season...lol. Shades of Tiki Barber
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by miked1958 View Post
    We'll I agree. However I may be in the minority but I believe Phil Jackson will make this team a winner again with or without Melo. It may not be till 2015 or 2016 but he will get it done.

Wouldn't it be ironic if Melo leaves and they win it all next season...lol. Shades of Tiki Barber
    Has Phil Jackson ever coached a team that wasnt loaded? Or rather has he achieved success with one?

Quote Originally Posted by miked1958 View Post

....lol

yeah, I just don't like the Steve Kerr thing....with the "personalities" we have, they need a tough coach who can put you in your place.
    Someone mentioned Lionel Hollins, I like that choice.

Kerr to me is more of an executive type, and I coud see Phil pulling his string from the rafters as it were.

When I watch the play of Lilliard, Paul and Steph paired up with Z-Bo, or LeMarcus, or Blake etc. I feel like why couldn't we have had something like that?

So like you said maybe in 2016, Lord willing, we can have a 1990s renaissance?

Banned
    Knicks probably wont win a championship until spike lee is dead and no longer making a fool of himself at every home game

Melo is all but gone anyway guys... You can tell by the quotes he is putting out there. Plus I REALLY don't think Phil wants him there anyway by what he's saying. It's just the vibe I get.

And for as much as people like to complain about melo's defense, it really wasn't that bad this year. At least he was making an effort. You need at least one guy who is capable of dropping 30 in a night to win. If you don't believe me just look at how awful the Bulls were against the wizards. Doesn't matter how good your defense is if you're scoring less than 70 points.

I'd like to see melo stay but I just don't see it happening.

+ Reply to Thread