+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    All-Pro
    I don't think anyone has seen enough of Nassib to make a bold statement like "he is our future". But, I do agree with some that are saying if Eli plays like he did last year that we will see an accelerated search for his replacement.

There are those that will say it's the fault of the receivers, O-line etc... but what is missed in that argument is that if the Giants are among the worst in talent on the offense, keeping Eli makes no sense and is unfair to him. It also is of no benefit to the Giants to keep him at that pay scale considering the results last year could be achieved by just about any QB.

Personally, I still hold out hope that he can bounce back. But, if he doesn't I won't be upset if they try some other options.
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

Why isn't Josh Freeman the future? Have you looked at his NFL record?

Quote Originally Posted by RagTime Blue View Post
    It's possible Nassib will be a free agent long before Eli is done being our starter.

Eli could have two more seasons like last season, and he'd still be our starter. His job is not in jeopardy at all.
    i agree at least for another year maybe 2

If he stinks it up again this year he and his mentor are toast

technically yes

as in

hes the future QB of the giants.....because hes going to play a preseason game for them in the future.

thats about all we really know at this point

heck, theres a chance hes traded during or before the draft. Crazier things have happened

Quote Originally Posted by Harooni View Post
    i agree at least for another year maybe 2

NOPE!

If he sucks this year, he wont last the entire 2015 season. He will end up being replaced or he'll be given a phantom injury to save face. Book it!

the giants are NOT that loyal to ELI. Trust me, if he has a season thats between 2012 and 2013 (meaning, not as bad as 2013), then hes DONE in there eyes. He will play out his contract and be gone after 2015

guarantee it

the FO is in the drivers seat as far as contracts go. 2014 will tell the tale of who stays and who is asked to leave politely. though i could see Ekli have a so so year and still get 2015 to turn it around.

Quote Originally Posted by NorwoodBlue View Post
    I've been trying to figure out who out there right now is comparable to Eli statistically. The using Td/Int ratio, and career completon percentage the closest player to him seems to be Kyle Orton, and actually Orton is the better of the two statistically.

http://www.footballdb.com/leaders/ac...ing-tdintratio

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...erc_active.htm

Ortons YPG seems to be about the same too factoring in the attempts and number of games.

Eli has played really well at times; but his overall statistics are really not very impressive. I'm not all that optimistic that he's going to return to really good form in 2014. He seems to be a streak player, and last year he really didn't have many good games. I appreciate the two streaks he put together that ended up with SB titles; but the defense played incredible football during those runs too. Year in and Year out, Eli is an incredibly average QB. Statistically, he's not even average, he's below average. The Eli groupies will hate it; but, this team has to be ready to move on from Eli, perhaps sooner rather than later. Nassib and Freeman will be waiting in the wings this year, and if Eli falters, at some point Coughlin may have no choice but to pull him and give someone else a chance. We can hope that the new system helps him return to better form. Sometimes change is the best thing for a player in a funk like Eli has been for a while now.
    All these 2 links show is that passing stats, per se, are but a small part of what makes for a great QB.

In the case of Rodgers, Brady, Peyton, and Brees, (and to a lesser extent, Roethlisberger), the superior passing stats align with their respective successes in season records and championships. Shocker. Like nobody knew that.

After those 5, the passing stats lose significance, and fast.

The only stat of Orton that compares to Eli's is comp %.

He HAS played for more teams than Eli has--a total of 4--with 1 less year in the league, so I guess that means he's been in more demand by teams than has Eli. So he has that going for him. Which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by BParcells777 View Post
    Why isn't Josh Freeman the future? Have you looked at his NFL record?
    Lmao. You are a funny guy mr stroud.
    Close or you hit the bricks

You have to wonder if Eli is actually mentoring nassib. Brett Favre didn't take Rodgers under his wing.
    Close or you hit the bricks