+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gmen46 View Post
    All these 2 links show is that passing stats, per se, are but a small part of what makes for a great QB.

In the case of Rodgers, Brady, Peyton, and Brees, (and to a lesser extent, Roethlisberger), the superior passing stats align with their respective successes in season records and championships. Shocker. Like nobody knew that.

After those 5, the passing stats lose significance, and fast.

The only stat of Orton that compares to Eli's is comp %.

He HAS played for more teams than Eli has--a total of 4--with 1 less year in the league, so I guess that means he's been in more demand by teams than has Eli. So he has that going for him. Which is nice.
    Orton has been an incredibly average QB in organizations that he often didn't have much of a supporting cast. Eli has been an incredibly average QB in a solid organization that has given him some real weapons his entire career. If anything, Ortons accomplishments are more impresive because he's often played on some poor teams. When Eli's weapons falter, such as Plax shooting himself, or Nicks self destructing, Eli doesn't seem to be able to rise to the occassion. Some fans love him, and some fans, like me, have very little confidence in him now. He's the man in this organization right now and we all have to hope he comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by Antwuan View Post
    Best Case Scenario:

When Eli Manning retires Ryan Nassib takes over plays great and leads us to a Superbowl victory, like Aaron Rodgers did after Brett Favre left. Its possible although I see Eli Manning playing at least 4 or 5 seasons with the Giants. Also what if Eli Manning has another bad season, what do the Giants do? Its something to think about. And actually Ryan Nassib would still be a young QB assuming Eli Manning stays for 4 or 5 more seasons.
    ..........and the realistic scenario?
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by gmen46 View Post
    All these 2 links show is that passing stats, per se, are but a small part of what makes for a great QB.
    Pretty much. Orton is fine from his own 20 but tends to clam up as the field shortens. I don't think he's comparable to Eli at all.

Hard to tell what will happen with Nassib without having seen him in a live situation. I'm looking forward to watching him in preseason.

This years passing attack will be much less reliant upon melding Eli's mind with that of his receivers. Gilbride's 'tree' routes should be a thing of the past. Eli and Reuben/Cruz should be on the same page 85% of Eli's passes.

Quote Originally Posted by jintsfan666 View Post
    This years passing attack will be much less reliant upon melding Eli's mind with that of his receivers. Gilbride's 'tree' routes should be a thing of the past. Eli and Reuben/Cruz should be on the same page 85% of Eli's passes.
    This is true. We still need another strong WR. Maybe it will come through the draft and a more simplified O package.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by RagTime Blue View Post
    It's possible Nassib will be a free agent long before Eli is done being our starter.

Eli could have two more seasons like last season, and he'd still be our starter. His job is not in jeopardy at all.
    If Eli plays this season like he did last season, then we'll have a top 5 pick and be in the running for Mariota.

Quote Originally Posted by BParcells777 View Post
    Why isn't Josh Freeman the future? Have you looked at his NFL record?
    If his NFL record were all that and a bag of chips, he would be starting somewhere and would not have been sitting on his couch waiting for a call.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Ryan Nassib is more likely to be a camp cut than the future of this team.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlooded1979 View Post
    Ryan Nassib is more likely to be a camp cut than the future of this team.
    From what he's shown so far definitely! I'd give Freeman way better odds at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by NorwoodBlue View Post
    Orton has been an incredibly average QB in organizations that he often didn't have much of a supporting cast. Eli has been an incredibly average QB in a solid organization that has given him some real weapons his entire career. If anything, Ortons accomplishments are more impresive because he's often played on some poor teams. When Eli's weapons falter, such as Plax shooting himself, or Nicks self destructing, Eli doesn't seem to be able to rise to the occassion. Some fans love him, and some fans, like me, have very little confidence in him now. He's the man in this organization right now and we all have to hope he comes back.
    Eli doesn't rise to the occasion ???? Really?? I guess you were not around for the playoff run on the road on '07. Wow, some if you need a good 10-20 year drought like some of us here have seen in the past so you can learn to appreciate Eli who DOES rise to the occasion in the big games down the playoff stretch and in the big one.