+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Victor Cruz, One Year Later

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-gia...espnapi_public

Excerpt: "A year ago, as the New York Giants opened their offseason program, star wide receiver Victor Cruz was not present. Cruz and the Giants were working on a long-term contract extension, which they eventually would complete, and Cruz made the decision to stay away from the voluntary portion of the offseason program as long as the deal was not yet done.

This was Cruz's perfect right, as it is the right of every player this time of year not to participate in the voluntary workouts. The criticism of players for their personal decisions not to attend the portions of the offseason programs that aren't required of them is one of my least favorite things about the NFL. "Voluntary" means voluntary, and when coaches and writers and fans get on guys for taking the time off that's available to them, I think that's just plain lousy.

But it happened to Cruz, as everyone from Tom Coughlin right on down to the fan base made it clear they were upset with Cruz for not attending non-mandatory practices. There was concern expressed about his absence's potential effect on the season and what it said about Cruz as a person, a player and a teammate.

Well, the season was a wreck all the way around, and it's hard to say anything that happened in April or May was the reason. But here's what Cruz's absence from voluntary work a year ago said about him as a person, a player and a teammate: absolutely nothing.

As the Giants' mess of a 2013 season unfolded, Cruz was one of the few consistent positives. Yes, I am well aware he didn't catch a touchdown pass after September. But he was playing in an offense that was, in the words of the team's owner, broken. The line couldn't protect the quarterback; the quarterback couldn't stop throwing it to the other team; the running game didn't exist; and the top outside receiver didn't want to play. Once defenses realized Hakeem Nicks no longer cared about trying to get open, they double-teamed Cruz and took the Giants' passing offense's one remaining threat out of the game.

Cruz's reaction to this terrible situation was to continue to play hard, fight his way open whenever possible and work to improve the parts of his game that needed work. For example, Cruz was a liability as a downfield blocker in his first two seasons in the league but a vastly improved one in 2013. He went to his coaches in training camp and told them he wanted to improve that critical and often overlooked aspect, and he did it, earning praise from the coaching staff and teammates behind the scenes. He worked hard in practice, even helping mentor backup slot receiver Jerrel Jernigan and helping develop him behind the scenes to the point that Jernigan was effective in place of an injured Cruz in December." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Nice article.
    Finalized divorce from Victor Michael Walker Cruz November 23rd, 2014. 9:16 PM.

Just wait for the fallout
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Just wait for the fallout
    Don't worry, I got this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    Don't worry, I got this.
    I need your help on bold type

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    I need your help on bold type
    Figure it out, hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    Figure it out, hehe
    GOT IT!

Thanks

# 80

Pretty good article with a couple of soft spots.

They reference him mentoring Jernigan when he came back. How does the writer know this and are we to extrapolate that he wasn't mentoring Jernigan before signing the big contract.

The second silly part was where the writer uses throwaway words to describe Cruz after the contract signing. The writer says that "he came back to the team and worked even harder." How exactly does one measure that? And again by extrapolation can we conclude that he could have worked harder before the contract.

I hate to beat these guys up especially with a pretty well written article like this. I think they can make their points and keep it interesting without using tired throwaway phrases which sound like something important but really convey nothing objective.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post

They reference him mentoring Jernigan when he came back. How does the writer know this and are we to extrapolate that he wasn't mentoring Jernigan before signing the big contract.

The second silly part was where the writer uses throwaway words to describe Cruz after the contract signing. The writer says that "he came back to the team and worked even harder." How exactly does one measure that? And again by extrapolation can we conclude that he could have worked harder before the contract.

I hate to beat these guys up especially with a pretty well written article like this. I think they can make their points and keep it interesting without using tired throwaway phrases which sound like something important but really convey nothing objective.
    Interesting observations, professor.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post

You missed your calling

# 80