+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Toadofsteel post-4/20 fallout mock

With the news that Will Hill was blazing yet again, I feel I need to adjust my mock draft.

Round 1: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, FS, Alabama

I haven't ever mocked this guy to us except as a joke in an April Fools mock. Truth be told, he is a great talent and is guaranteed to be there at 12 without being a reach. Only reason nobody ever mocked him to us is because we had a logjam at the safety position with Hill, Stevie, and Rolle. Obviously, that is no longer the case. I don't want to roll the dice on Stevie being in 2012 form until I see him in action and how his knee holds up, and I have about Marvin Austin levels of faith in Taylor to develop into more than just a career special teamer.

Alternate: Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh

===

Round 2: ASJ, TE, Washington

His stock might have fallen a tiny bit recently, but I still think he's a good pickup in the 2nd round. Amaro (the other TE projected to the 2nd round) is a purely receiving TE. He's also shown that while he has made mistakes in the past (DUI charge in 2013), he is also holding himself much more accountable to both himself and his team, working heavily in this past season on his blocking skills. CBS quotes: "Displayed humility and accountability by serving one-day sentence in jail and speaking to youth (along with the arresting officer, and a mother of a high school-aged student killed in a DUI-related accident) about the dangers of alcohol after pleading guilty to a DUI rather than pleading out and taking a lesser sentence." Sounds like the kind of guy I'd rather have on my team, someone who knows they did something wrong, owns up to it, and works hard to improve himself because of it.

Alternate: Troy Niklas, TE, Notre Dame

===

Round 3: Marcus Martin, C, USC

Still a bit raw as a player, but plays with absolute determination to the whistle (and much of the time, after). Might take a year to develop him into a full-time starter, but after that would become a good solid anchor for us going forward.

Alternate: Dakota Dozier, G, Furman

===

Round 4: Shayne Skov, ILB, Stanford

As much as I love Beason, he's not going to last forever. Skov nominally projects more as an inside linebacker in the 3-4. However, what intrigues me is that he's an inside linebacker who is equally at home defending the run and the pass. He was more over-aggressive earlier in his college career, but is working hard to break that habit. Had a torn ACL in 2011, but by 2013 had recovered almost all of his prior explosiveness. Also was voted a team captain, and could develop into the same down the road for the Giants.

Alternate: Charles Sims, RB, West Virginia

===

Round 5: Khairi Fortt, OLB, California

The former Penn State transfer has shown remarkable patience and discipline in allowing a play to develop and keeping his eye on the ball carrier, as well as doing well when asked to drop into coverage. Main issue right now is working on his tackling form.

Alternate: Taylor Hart, DE, Oregon

===

Round 6: Ethan Westbrooks, DE, West Texas A&M

A bit of a raw prospect that relies on his athleticism more than technique to get to the QB, much like JPP did in 2011. Also would need to spend a year adding some muscle, but his frame should be able to handle that no problem.

===

Round 6 comp: Cornelius Lucas, OT, Kansas State

Lucas is the kind of player who rises to the call. Possesses good skills (especially for what can be had in the back of the 6th round), but needs motivation to help him work on said skills. If he ends up being called upon to relieve a starter, he may very well surprise us. He could also be used in jumbo packages, given that CBS reports that his blocking is more akin to a TE style.

Thank you Reddit for the best gif ever.

I think before the Hill thing, we were stacked at safety. Now we have viable guys. No need to go nuts and grab a safety in the first round. While I think Clinton-Dix could help solidify the secondary, I would rather focus on getting Eli passing targets.

I love ASJ in the 2nd and he is my #2 ranked TE.

I think Martin would be good in the 3rd, but I would like to think the Giants will give Walton a chance and we should address center depth with one of our 5th round selections (Stork, Ikard).

I personally am not a fan of Skov at all. I do not see him translating into a productive NFL player. If Christian Jones is there give me him instead.

No real problems with your other selections, as everyone has their late-round sleeper guys.

Overall, I would not be too happy with it, but that is mainly because of my personal preference on the players you gave us. We definitely hit needs with this draft, though, so who knows

Quote Originally Posted by Plaxicofan7 View Post
    I think before the Hill thing, we were stacked at safety. Now we have viable guys. No need to go nuts and grab a safety in the first round. While I think Clinton-Dix could help solidify the secondary, I would rather focus on getting Eli passing targets.

I love ASJ in the 2nd and he is my #2 ranked TE.

I think Martin would be good in the 3rd, but I would like to think the Giants will give Walton a chance and we should address center depth with one of our 5th round selections (Stork, Ikard).

I personally am not a fan of Skov at all. I do not see him translating into a productive NFL player. If Christian Jones is there give me him instead.

No real problems with your other selections, as everyone has their late-round sleeper guys.

Overall, I would not be too happy with it, but that is mainly because of my personal preference on the players you gave us. We definitely hit needs with this draft, though, so who knows
    Fair enough. The Skov pick was just what I saw in him. Maybe you're right and he'll bust right out of the NFL. But that's why Reese is paid 7 figures, because he has to do ALL the research.

I was also following a trend I see, that Reese has this knack for selecting players in stacked positions a year before they're actually needed, to help them transition into the NFL. JPP came into the league behind Tuck, Osi, and Kiwi. Prince was behind Webster, Ross, and Thomas. Joseph was behind Cofield and Canty. Hankins was in turn behind Joseph and Jenkins. Randle was a #4 receiver behind Nicks, Cruz, and Hixon in 2012.

The only true day 1 starter with this kind of mock would be ASJ (HCD would probably be getting snaps in rotation too, given that he's basically Will-Hill-That-Doesn't-Smoke-Weed). We hit on a lot of needs i free agency to at least be serviceable at every position except TE (and possibly WR). The HCD, Martin, Skov, and Fortt picks are all to give us developmental depth so that we can let a guy like Rolle go, or give us an option if Beason gets injured (definitely don't want Herzlich ever playing MLB again).

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    With the news that Will Hill was blazing yet again, I feel I need to adjust my mock draft.

Round 1: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, FS, Alabama

I haven't ever mocked this guy to us except as a joke in an April Fools mock. Truth be told, he is a great talent and is guaranteed to be there at 12 without being a reach. Only reason nobody ever mocked him to us is because we had a logjam at the safety position with Hill, Stevie, and Rolle. Obviously, that is no longer the case. I don't want to roll the dice on Stevie being in 2012 form until I see him in action and how his knee holds up, and I have about Marvin Austin levels of faith in Taylor to develop into more than just a career special teamer.

Alternate: Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh

===

Round 2: ASJ, TE, Washington

His stock might have fallen a tiny bit recently, but I still think he's a good pickup in the 2nd round. Amaro (the other TE projected to the 2nd round) is a purely receiving TE. He's also shown that while he has made mistakes in the past (DUI charge in 2013), he is also holding himself much more accountable to both himself and his team, working heavily in this past season on his blocking skills. CBS quotes: "Displayed humility and accountability by serving one-day sentence in jail and speaking to youth (along with the arresting officer, and a mother of a high school-aged student killed in a DUI-related accident) about the dangers of alcohol after pleading guilty to a DUI rather than pleading out and taking a lesser sentence." Sounds like the kind of guy I'd rather have on my team, someone who knows they did something wrong, owns up to it, and works hard to improve himself because of it.

Alternate: Troy Niklas, TE, Notre Dame

===

Round 3: Marcus Martin, C, USC

Still a bit raw as a player, but plays with absolute determination to the whistle (and much of the time, after). Might take a year to develop him into a full-time starter, but after that would become a good solid anchor for us going forward.

Alternate: Dakota Dozier, G, Furman

===

Round 4: Shayne Skov, ILB, Stanford

As much as I love Beason, he's not going to last forever. Skov nominally projects more as an inside linebacker in the 3-4. However, what intrigues me is that he's an inside linebacker who is equally at home defending the run and the pass. He was more over-aggressive earlier in his college career, but is working hard to break that habit. Had a torn ACL in 2011, but by 2013 had recovered almost all of his prior explosiveness. Also was voted a team captain, and could develop into the same down the road for the Giants.

Alternate: Charles Sims, RB, West Virginia

===

Round 5: Khairi Fortt, OLB, California

The former Penn State transfer has shown remarkable patience and discipline in allowing a play to develop and keeping his eye on the ball carrier, as well as doing well when asked to drop into coverage. Main issue right now is working on his tackling form.

Alternate: Taylor Hart, DE, Oregon

===

Round 6: Ethan Westbrooks, DE, West Texas A&M

A bit of a raw prospect that relies on his athleticism more than technique to get to the QB, much like JPP did in 2011. Also would need to spend a year adding some muscle, but his frame should be able to handle that no problem.

===

Round 6 comp: Cornelius Lucas, OT, Kansas State

Lucas is the kind of player who rises to the call. Possesses good skills (especially for what can be had in the back of the 6th round), but needs motivation to help him work on said skills. If he ends up being called upon to relieve a starter, he may very well surprise us. He could also be used in jumbo packages, given that CBS reports that his blocking is more akin to a TE style.

I have no problem with HaHa being selected. he is worth the 12th overall and Rolle, whil eno tin a decline yet, is getting up there in age and is extremely expensive. Having Stevie, Hill, and HaHa for the future is a great pick up. And as for this year if Hill is out for an extended period of time and Browns recovery from injury doesn't go as expected HaHa would be invaluable.

If HaHa is the pick then a 2nd round DT is a must. behind Hank the depth is older and nothing to write home about. while I like ASJ I think he will slide even further than the second but is he doesn't, the TE from IOWA (i cant spell his name) is a solid pick in the 3rd

Quote Originally Posted by GiantPride13 View Post
    I have no problem with HaHa being selected. he is worth the 12th overall and Rolle, whil eno tin a decline yet, is getting up there in age and is extremely expensive. Having Stevie, Hill, and HaHa for the future is a great pick up. And as for this year if Hill is out for an extended period of time and Browns recovery from injury doesn't go as expected HaHa would be invaluable.

If HaHa is the pick then a 2nd round DT is a must. behind Hank the depth is older and nothing to write home about. while I like ASJ I think he will slide even further than the second but is he doesn't, the TE from IOWA (i cant spell his name) is a solid pick in the 3rd
    I could roll with that type of draft as well, although I don't quite know who the 2nd round DT would be. We could pick up Fierdowicz in the 3rd or Arthur Lynch in the 4th to bolster the TE position if that was the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    I could roll with that type of draft as well, although I don't quite know who the 2nd round DT would be. We could pick up Fierdowicz in the 3rd or Arthur Lynch in the 4th to bolster the TE position if that was the case.
    hagemen & Tuitt are both late first early 2nd round projections. Easley and Sutton both project in 2nd.

Id take Easley + the NYG were at his workout so maybe he is already their guy in the 2nd incase Donald is gone by 12 or they decide to go in a different direction than DT in the 1st

Veteran
    D. Buccannon in the 3-4th round would suffice if you absolutely needed to draft a Safety to replace Will Hill on the roster, no need to address it as high as 1st round.

Retweeted by Rueben Randle
    @Katdaddyjay 17h
    @RuebenRandle @OBJ_3 @Giants
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ps625a51fb.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by rainierjef View Post
    D. Buccannon in the 3-4th round would suffice if you absolutely needed to draft a Safety to replace Will Hill on the roster, no need to address it as high as 1st round.
    HCD is perfect value at 12 though, and likely would be in the same ballpark with Donald as the BPA when we pick at 12. And with Hill's playing future now in doubt, Safety is as much a question mark as DT, in that we need depth and developmental for beyond 2014 more than immediate starters at this point (Rolle and Stevie are the penciled-in starters at S, while Jenkins and Hankins start at DT), so I would be good with either selection.

Starter
    1) DT Aaron Donald
    2) OT JuWaun James
    3) TE C.J. Fiedorowicz
    4) C Bryan Stork
    5) OLB/S Telvin Smith or WR Jeff Janis
    5) DE Will Clarke
    6) CB Aaron Colvin