+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cornerback Thread

Cornerback Thread

Thought we could start a cornerback specific discussion rather than go back and forth between threads.

I've always had an affinity for the position, and in today's game, it's the counter to the arms race.

Now obviously, the primary debate at hand is which best fits the Giants in skillset, projected draft position and so on, but don't let that be the end all in the discussion.

Morris Claiborne <u>LSU</u> Jr 6-0 185 <FONT color=#1c62b9>vid</FONT>

Dre Kirkpatrick <u>Alabama</u> Jr 6-2 192

Alfonzo Dennard <u>Nebraska</u> Sr 5-10 205 <FONT color=#1c62b9>vid</FONT>

Janoris Jenkins <u>North Alabama</u> Sr 5-10 182 <FONT color=#1c62b9>vid2010</FONT>

Chase Minnifield <u>Virginia</u> rSr 6-0 185

Jayron Hosley <u>Virginia Tech</u> Jr 5-10 172

Stephon Gilmore CB <u>South Carolina</u> Jr 6-1 193

Trumaine Johnson <u>Montana</u> Sr 6-2 204

Brandon Boykin <u>Georgia</u> Sr 5-10 183

Leonard Johnson <u>Iowa State</u> Sr 5-10 202

Coryell Judie <u>Texas A&M</u> rSr 5-11 190

Shaun Prater <u>Iowa</u> Sr 5-10 185

Cliff Harris <u>Oregon</u> Jr 5-11 168 <FONT color=#1c62b9>vid 2010</FONT>

Josh Robinson <u>UCF</u> Jr 5-10 192

Donnie Fletcher <u>Boston College</u> Sr 6-1 195

Omar Bolden <u>Arizona State</u> rSr 5-10 195

Casey Hayward <u>Vanderbilt</u> Sr 5-11 188

Ryan Steed <u>Furman</u> Sr 5-11 190

Jamell Fleming <u>Oklahoma</u> rSr 5-11 192

<font size="1">just quick list pasted from cbs. will update remaining prospects of this year and next as well as vids/reports </font>

Veteran

Re: Cornerback Thread

Of those prospects, Kirkpatrick fits the Giants CB mold the best, but I highly doubt he's around when the Giants draft.

I really like Janoris Jenkins. He's locked down pretty much every top WR he's faced (Jeffery, Julio Jones, and AJ Green when he was at Florida). Unfortunately, he's a nipplehead, and probably wouldn't fare too well in NY.

Hayward out of Vandy could be a good option in the 2nd.

(regardless of how the draft goes, Tryon damn well better be a Giant next season)

[quote user="Raptor22"]Of those prospects, Kirkpatrick fits the Giants CB mold the best, but I highly doubt he's around when the Giants draft.

I really like Janoris Jenkins. He's locked down pretty much every top WR he's faced (Jeffery, Julio Jones, and AJ Green when he was at Florida). Unfortunately, he's a nipplehead, and probably wouldn't fare too well in NY.

(regardless of how the draft goes, Tryon damn well better be a Giant next season)
    [/quote]

Pretty much wrote what I was typing out atm.

Of the current situation, Terrell Thomas obviously should be resigned. I also would like Tryon as he had some bright moments with Indy.

Dre pretty much cemented his early position in the draft. I'm just hoping he doesn't fall to a division rival.

I'm on board for exploring Janoris at this moment [shoot, I was for Jimmy Smith last year as well]. I leave character issues for those doing the player interviews in the draft process. But Jenkins is indeed a midround talent that can possibly slip to late first.

I've seen Steph Gilmore creeping up to the first, but I think he's limited to teams who predominately play zone.

I haven't watched Hosley enough to make an assessment, but from what little I saw I did not care for too much. Was wondering if the VTech CB name was boosting him a bit.

Veteran

[quote user="bLuereverie"][quote user="Raptor22"]Of those prospects, Kirkpatrick fits the Giants CB mold the best, but I highly doubt he's around when the Giants draft.

[/quote]

Pretty much wrote what I was typing out atm.

Of the current situation, Terrell Thomas obviously should be resigned. I also would like Tryon as he had some bright moments with Indy.

Dre pretty much cemented his early position in the draft. I'm just hoping he doesn't fall to a division rival.

I'm on board for exploring Janoris at this moment [shoot, I was for Jimmy Smith last year as well]. I leave character issues for those doing the player interviews in the draft process. But Jenkins is indeed a midround talent that can possibly slip to late first.

I've seen Steph Gilmore creeping up to the first, but I think he's limited to teams who predominately play zone.

I haven't watched Hosley enough to make an assessment, but from what little I saw I did not care for too much. Was wondering if the VTech CB name was boosting him a bit.[/quote]

What worries me about Jenkins more than anything else is that he didn't learn. He got into trouble in Florida... and then went and got into trouble again and had to go into exile in CFB Siberia.

I don't mind "character concerns" if its a mistake of youth (ie: Austin, 'Rio, Bradshaw), but not learning from your mistakes is a much more serious offense in my eyes.

Hence why I am careful to choose the term "explore". Just because I covet the player does not mean I'm not overlooking the person.

Veteran

[quote user="bLuereverie"]Hence why I am careful to choose the term "explore". Just because I covet the player does not mean I'm not overlooking the person.[/quote]

That's the best way to look at it (barring particularly bad behavior)

But I definitely think the Giants come away from this draft with secondary help in one form or another.

I also like Dennard from Nebraska. I don't know if his upside is as high as Prince's, but I think he's more polished at the moment. Also on the S side of things, I think Mark Barron is a prototypical Giants draft pick, and would be a GREAT pickup if Jones either can't make it back, or comes back as a LB.

(Anyone know if there has been any word on that? I know they were going to be asking the Giants what he should work towards sometime in December)

Veteran

I say we go get Claiborne... idc how just do it haha

Bench Player

Taking another CB two years in a row? Thomas must be signed, but there are a bunch a free agent CB and S out there after the seaon. I know the Giants don;t really make huge waves in the free agent market but I think to pick another CB and groom them to be a starter its hit and miss, Flowers and Carr from KC were looking like 2 of the best but this season not so much. Those kind of postion players are hard to have an everyday count on him player.Webster,Thomas Prince, Rolle,KP, when all are heathly could be top DB field in NFL. O-line a must and Linebackers are a huge need. Remember Taylor, Pepper, Banks, Reasons? Wish we could have backers like that again. Imagine the way our front 4 are then 1 or 2 linebackers that can play up to the front 4 level. Wow! Maybe a pipe dream but it's a dream.

It is within the realm of BPA. If the top player available is a corner, then he should be evaluated at the very least.

Even if TT is resigned, there is no guarantee how he will come back after surgery.

It is a new age of NFL, where your secondary is as important as ever. Not to mention, cornerback is the 5th highest paid position. Free Agents carry a much greater premium on the cap than drafted prospects.

And again, this is the general cornerback thread. Not who the Giants will take. So this has nothing to do with Oline and LBs.

[quote user="elitime"]Taking another CB two years in a row? Thomas must be signed, but there are a bunch a free agent CB and S out there after the seaon. I know the Giants don;t really make huge waves in the free agent market but I think to pick another CB and groom them to be a starter its hit and miss, Flowers and Carr from KC were looking like 2 of the best but this season not so much. Those kind of postion players are hard to have an everyday count on him player.Webster,Thomas Prince, Rolle,KP, when all are heathly could be top DB field in NFL. O-line a must and Linebackers are a huge need. Remember Taylor, Pepper, Banks, Reasons? Wish we could have backers like that again. Imagine the way our front 4 are then 1 or 2 linebackers that can play up to the front 4 level. Wow! Maybe a pipe dream but it's a dream.[/quote]

I couldnt agree more. We have much more pressing needs at MLB and OLine. We should wait a ccouple years to draft a sure-thing at db like Tyrann Mathieu from LSU and spend our picks on some big time LBs like Upashaw, Hightower or Burfict

+ Reply to Thread