+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Bench Player

Re: Cornerback Thread

instead of resigning TT to even a 1 yr contract why not look elsewhere.
    i would like us to sign BCarr from KCT. someone is a quality player (though not a star) and doesn;t have an injury history.
    a secondary of webster-carr-phillips- rolle w/ prince would be nice.
    i would draft someone in the 4th (Hayward) or 5th round such as Asa Jackson, a kid with blazing speed and can double as a good punt returner.

[quote user="deekay7685"]instead of resigning TT to even a 1 yr contract why not look elsewhere.
    i would like us to sign BCarr from KCT. someone is a quality player (though not a star) and doesn;t have an injury history.
    a secondary of webster-carr-phillips- rolle w/ prince would be nice.
    i would draft someone in the 4th (Hayward) or 5th round such as Asa Jackson, a kid with blazing speed and can double as a good punt returner.[/quote]

The cost of signing a cornerback like BCarr who will ask for starting CB money will be far more pricey than signing TT to a short term deal to reestablish his value in a healthy season.

Some of my notes and observations from Senior Bowl practice:

Janoris Jenkins has been up and down in competition, but for the most part has been battling throughout nicely.

On the other end, Alfonzo Dennard hasn't looked good at all. He has a great break to the ball on the short routes, but has looked horrible in off man to say the least. It looks like there are only three corners who deserve a first round selection right now.

Everyone's favorite Casey Hayward has looked solid and consistent. He lacks speed as he got beat on some of the deep routes, but hard to blame him when they're playing one on one with no safety help. Doesn't bite on many moves, and in the few times he got "beat" on shorter and intermediate routes. he was in great position to make a play and just missed out on an awkward throw and one-hand catch from Criner.

This Bentley kid from Louisiana Lafayette has probably had the finest practices thus far. Looks dwarfed next to some of these receivers, but has held his own, especially against Dwight Jones who probably has a good 6" on him.

Leonard Johnson from Iowa is someone I know nothing about but heard raves about from commentary. Haven't seen what exactly they are seeing though from practices. Looks best matched up at the line, but not so much i coverage.

Is George Iloka a FS or CB?

[quote user="bLuereverie"]
    Is George Iloka a FS or CB?[/quote]

FS, but he has experience playing CB.

I'm not very high on Gilmore. He's just too inconsistent IMO.

It's unfortunate Dre Kirkpatrick will be gone by the time we draft, but there's another guy on that Alabama squad we need to seriously consider in Dequan Menzie, although he's just shy of 6ft. His cover skills are great and his tackling is very impressive. He also beat out D. Milliner at Alabama, a 5 star player that had started the year before Menzie got to campus.

Josh Norman is a tall/rangy CB to watch for. 6ft about 200lbs, long arms and good speed. Him and Trumaine Johnson are guys with great measurables and speed that could turn into elite CBs but would start off as projects IMO.

I also like Brandon Boykin. He's a little on the small size but his cover skills really impressed me this year. He'd also be a good return man.

[quote user="critters"] Dequan Menzie, although he's just shy of 6ft.[/quote]

Hes just over 5'10, actually.

Like every alabama prospect, he measured shorter than expected

Gilmore played plenty of zone and at best, press bail in college. He looks explosive to the ball and to the run, but limited to teams who play zone like perhaps NE. I just didn't find anything footage with him playing any man.