+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

GIANT UPSETS TO REMEMBER

GIANT UPSETS TO REMEMBER

"Over the past 20 years, the Giants have pulled off several major upsets in
    the playoffs on their way to three Super Bowl titles. The Post’s Tim Bontemps
    takes a look back at their five greatest triumphs as underdogs over the past two
    decades:

2007 NFC Championship Game:Giants 23, Packers 20, OT
    Jan. 20,
    2008 at Lambeau Field in Green Bay, Wis. 7 1/2 -point underdogs

In below-zero temperatures, the two teams entered the fourth quarter with the
    Giants leading by three, 20-17. The Packers eventually got a field goal from
    Mason Crosby to tie the game, and the Giants’ Lawrence Tynes missed two kicks
    that would have given them the win. But Giants cornerback R.W. McQuarters
    intercepted a Favre pass on the second play of overtime and, three plays later,
    Tynes booted a 47-yarder to send the Giants to Super Bowl XLII.

Super Bowl XLII: Giants 17, Patriots 14

Feb. 3, 2008 at
    University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Ariz. 12-point underdogs

Big Blue entered the game confident they could derail the Patriots’ hopes of
    completing a perfect season. The Giants hung with the Patriots throughout the
    game, because of their star-studded defensive line, and won it with a
    last-minute drive — including the incredible helmet catch by David Tyree — that
    was capped off by Eli Manning’s 13-yard touchdown pass to Plaxico Burress with
    35 seconds left and gave the Giants their third Super Bowl title and arguably
    the greatest win in the illustrious franchise’s history.

1990 NFC Championship Game: Giants 15, 49ers 13
    Jan. 20, 1991 at
    Candlestick Park in San Francisco, Calif. 8-point underdogs

During the regular season, the Giants lost to the 49ers, who were 14-2 and
    led by MVP Joe Montana. The Giants were heavy underdogs in the NFC title game,
    as the 49ers were trying to win their third straight Super Bowl. But the
    physical Giants defense kept the game close against the high-scoring 49ers, and
    eventually knocked Montana out of the game. After San Francisco running back
    Roger Craig fumbled with 2:36 remaining, Giants quarterback Jeff Hostetler drove
    Big Blue down the field, setting up kicker Matt Bahr’s 42-yard field goal as
    time-expired — his fifth of the game — to send the Giants to Super Bowl XXV to
    face Jim Kelly and the Bills.

2007 NFC Divisional Playoff: Giants 21, Cowboys 17
    Jan. 13, 2008
    at Texas Stadium in Irving, Texas 7 1/2 - point underdogs

They had beaten the Giants twice during the regular season, and the No. 1
    seed in the NFC hadn’t lost its first playoff game in 20 years. But the Giants
    kept the game close, and took a 21-17 lead early in the fourth quarter on a
    1-yard touchdown by Brandon Jacobs. After the teams traded fruitless possessions
    for much of the fourth quarter, the Cowboys drove deep into Giants territory as
    the clock wound down — only to have Tony Romo throw into the end zone with nine
    seconds remaining and get picked off by Giants cornerback R.W. McQuarters to
    seal the win.

Super Bowl XXV: Giants 20, Bills 19
    Jan. 27, 1991 at Tampa
    Stadium in Tampa, Fla. 6 1/2 -point underdogs

The Giants headed into the Super Bowl with their backup quarterback, Jeff
    Hostetler, in the lineup after Phil Simms had injured his knee in a
    regular-season loss to Buffalo. But Giants coach Bill Parcells and defensive
    coordinator Bill Belichick devised a gameplan to run the ball and control the
    clock on offense, keeping the Bills’ high-powered no-huddle offense off the
    field, and then played a physical style on defense to try and slow down the
    Bills’ highly skilled receivers. The plan worked to perfection, as the Giants
    held the ball for more than 40 minutes and took a 20-19 lead on a short field
    goal by Matt Bahr midway through the fourth quarter. The Giants hung on, and
    wound up winning the game when Bills kicker Scott Norwood’s 47-yard field goal
    attempt famously missed wide-right."

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: GIANT UPSETS TO REMEMBER

Man, we have torn some teams hearts out.

and these were all successful "revenge" games btw

Veteran

Giants 31 49ers 0

Veteran

[quote user="NYSPORTS"]Giants 31 49ers 0

2012[/quote]

Keep up the spirit. Would love to see that.

GIANTS GIANTS GIANTS

Veteran

Good stuff RF!

We are about to add another game to that list tomorrow night!!!!

2000 Championship Game

Giants: 41 - Vikings: GOOSE EGG

That may have been twelve years ago, but I remember the talk on WFAN leading up to that game all week. The Vikings were a 3 pt favorite and how on earth would the Giants stop the NFCs #1 offense from scoring and how would the OL handle the ferocious John Randall on defense. No chance. No way. Even though the Giants were the No 1 seed, they were dismissed.

I remember being sick that Sunday and took a strong dose of Nyquil prior to the start of the game - deciding to tape it as I knew I'd be konked out. The game started at 12:30 on Sunday so I taped it until 4:40 - just in case they pulled it out and I'd get the trophy ceremony.

I woke up around 3:15 and realized the game would be close to over. I turned the tv on and, with my bleary eyes from the couch, saw the score in the upper right hand corner. I thought I hadn't woken up all the way and literally had to get right in front of the tv to be sure I saw it right - Giants 41 - Vikings 0. I literally could not believe it. I couldn't wait for the tape to finish getting the ceremony in so I could rewind and watch.

Seeing the Giants score twice in less than 2 minutes before the Vikings ever touched the ball shocked me. The D shutting down that Viking O was unbelievable. It seems every important game on the line we have shut down high powered offenses - here, the Bills in Supe 25, the Pats in Supe 42.

I'm not predicting anything for tomorrow - just hope that with the Giants history of reaching deep down inside and pulling out everything they've got and sticking it to the opponent will come out and smash GB in the face.

As it was said in the movie '300' - "Give them nothing. But take from them......everything!"

Core webster got that oick in ot vs gb, not r.w.

[quote user="CTLadyBlue"]2000 Championship Game

Giants: 41 - Vikings: GOOSE EGG

That may have been twelve years ago, but I remember the talk on WFAN leading up to that game all week. The Vikings were a 3 pt favorite and how on earth would the Giants stop the NFCs #1 offense from scoring and how would the OL handle the ferocious John Randall on defense. No chance. No way. Even though the Giants were the No 1 seed, they were dismissed.

I remember being sick that Sunday and took a strong dose of Nyquil prior to the start of the game - deciding to tape it as I knew I'd be konked out. The game started at 12:30 on Sunday so I taped it until 4:40 - just in case they pulled it out and I'd get the trophy ceremony.

I woke up around 3:15 and realized the game would be close to over. I turned the tv on and, with my bleary eyes from the couch, saw the score in the upper right hand corner. I thought I hadn't woken up all the way and literally had to get right in front of the tv to be sure I saw it right - Giants 41 - Vikings 0. I literally could not believe it. I couldn't wait for the tape to finish getting the ceremony in so I could rewind and watch.

Seeing the Giants score twice in less than 2 minutes before the Vikings ever touched the ball shocked me. The D shutting down that Viking O was unbelievable. It seems every important game on the line we have shut down high powered offenses - here, the Bills in Supe 25, the Pats in Supe 42.

I'm not predicting anything for tomorrow - just hope that with the Giants history of reaching deep down inside and pulling out everything they've got and sticking it to the opponent will come out and smash GB in the face.

As it was said in the movie '300' - "Give them nothing. But take from them......everything!"[/quote]I bet seeing that score knocked the fever right out of you huh?