+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: WHO IS THE BEST NYG OFFENSIVE PLAYER YOU'VE PERSONALLY WATCHED

Quote Originally Posted by Carlosinho View Post
    It's good to see Tiki get lots of votes after being really disliked so intensely. Time does heal all wounds.
    +1

I was posting in another thread when something occurred to me....

I know this will ruffle feathers but this thread doesn't specify skill positions and if you are going to talk about the "best ever" offensive players then you at least have to recognize that we have had some of the best Offensive lineman ever come through our doors.

The guy who immediately comes to mind is Rosey Brown. He was before most people here day(including mine) but he was a game changing tackle way ahead of his day. He blocked for a couple of the players mentioned in this thread: Gifford and YA Tittle.

So while I think the OP mean to ask about skilled positions on offense, but since he didn't I have to bring up Rosey as he was the best of his day at his position. Its hard to say that about any other player mentioned in this thread.

As Good as Tiki was, he wasn't the best of his day as long as Fault and Tomlinson played. Simms and Eli couldn't be called the best of their day either. Gifford trailed by miles behind Perry and Jim Brown in his day. But Rosey? He was the best player at his position in the league for several years. At least in my opinion

I had forgotten this but in 1999 Sporting news did a top 100 players of all time. Roosevelt Brown was the NYGs highest ranked offensive player at 57. Its not proof, just evidence that he should be in this conversation.
    Last edited by BlueSanta; 05-01-2014 at 04:07 AM.

I honestly believe if Tiki started a bit sooner then he did and was used more often as a RB his first yr or 2 , he'd of broke tons of NFL record. He had best there ever was type talent. Could do it all. I think it'd be harder choosing who was 2nd best offensive player on Giants you ever seen, rather then 1st, as 1st is easily Tiki Barbers..

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post

I know this will ruffle feathers but this thread doesn't specify skill positions and if you are going to talk about the "best ever" offensive players then you at least have to recognize that we have had some of the best Offensive lineman ever come through our doors.

The guy who immediately comes to mind is Rosey Brown. He was before most people here day(including mine) but he was a game changing tackle way ahead of his day. He blocked for a couple of the players mentioned in this thread: Gifford and YA Tittle.

So while I think the OP mean to ask about skilled positions on offense, but since he didn't I have to bring up Rosey as he was the best of his day at his position. Its hard to say that about any other player mentioned in this thread.

As Good as Tiki was, he wasn't the best of his day as long as Fault and Tomlinson played. Simms and Eli couldn't be called the best of their day either. Gifford trailed by miles behind Perry and Jim Brown in his day. But Rosey? He was the best player at his position in the league for several years. At least in my opinion

I had forgotten this but in 1999 Sporting news did a top 100 players of all time. Roosevelt Brown was the NYGs highest ranked offensive player at 57. Its not proof, just evidence that he should be in this conversation.
    I watched Rosey Brown play

he was unbelievable .... he was light years ahead of O linemen at the time as far as athletic ability

he would get out in front of a back blocking downfield take out 3 of 4 potential tacklers in his path while outrunning the back ...... he was literally faster that the backs..... literally .... straight up in a foot race he would have beat Tucker Frederickson, Ernie Wheelwright, Frank Gifford, Phil King, Alex Webster , by a mile....and probably even Del Shofner

linemen weren't as big as they are today back then so Rosey looked enormous at 6'4 255 (estimating... don't know exactly) ... basically the size of todays LBs

he was a natural born gifted athlete and to my young eyes up in the stands looked like Superman

Lineman are never referred to as "Offensive weapons". We are talking about skill positions

Quote Originally Posted by Geebanga718 View Post
    Lineman are never referred to as "Offensive weapons". We are talking about skill positions
    The title of this thread (which you started by the way) says "best offensive player" not "best offensive weapon"

The title asks who is the best NYG offensive player that you have personally watched?? You said yourself he was before your time. People are answering Tiki because they have personally watched him play.

If you were around to see Rosey play, then great, but that's why nobody is saying him.

Quote Originally Posted by YATittle1962 View Post
    I watched Rosey Brown play

he was unbelievable .... he was light years ahead of O linemen at the time as far as athletic ability

he would get out in front of a back blocking downfield take out 3 of 4 potential tacklers in his path while outrunning the back ...... he was literally faster that the backs..... literally .... straight up in a foot race he would have beat Tucker Frederickson, Ernie Wheelwright, Frank Gifford, Phil King, Alex Webster , by a mile....and probably even Del Shofner

linemen weren't as big as they are today back then so Rosey looked enormous at 6'4 255 (estimating... don't know exactly) ... basically the size of todays LBs

he was a natural born gifted athlete and to my young eyes up in the stands looked like Superman
    I agree with your size estimate. As I recall, he was consistently listed around 250. Whenever an announcer gave his weight, he also mentioned that he had a 30" waist (I think that's the number -- it might actually have been smaller -- I know it was smaller than mine at the time, which was about 32"-34"). He was indeed a supremely gifted player. He even played on defense -- he and Jack Stroud would come in and play the middle spots on six-man line goal-line defenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Astorian View Post
    I agree with your size estimate. As I recall, he was consistently listed around 250. Whenever an announcer gave his weight, he also mentioned that he had a 30" waist (I think that's the number -- it might actually have been smaller -- I know it was smaller than mine at the time, which was about 32"-34"). He was indeed a supremely gifted player. He even played on defense -- he and Jack Stroud would come in and play the middle spots on six-man line goal-line defenses.

absolutely right.... dead on

Quote Originally Posted by YATittle1962 View Post
    absolutely right.... dead on
    In 1999, he was ranked number 57 on The Sporting News' list of the 100 Greatest Football Players ever.

An offensive lineman ranked that high from a bye gone era should convey to the less seasoned crowd here, how dominant and ahead of his time RB actually was.

I wish I saw him in person.
    No one remembers who came in second.

+ Reply to Thread