+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_Ribs View Post
    That crew of guys Urban Meyer had at Florida was a real Motley one, Tim Tebow not withstanding.

Aaron Hernandez and Reggie Nelson shooting a couple of guys, allegedly.
    Riley Cooper
    Janoris Jenkins had multiple issues
    The Pouncey brothers
    Percy Harvin
    Will Hill

This may be the worst collection of guys put together from a character standpoint that I can remember.

And Cam Newton was the one who got thrown off the team?
    lets see Will Hill smoked some weed and Henandez is a killer..

yeah lets group them together...
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by bansaw View Post
    they get their shot and they cant give up the partying for 5 years, hopefully longer if you play well and stay healthy

I just cant fathom what ****ty work ethic was instilled to be that selfish

too late for that guy but hopefully some of the vets and coaches use him as an example of what pissing away a career looks like
    Heh Ban. How are you.

sad situation for sure but I'm pretty positive the pissing away career already has a poster boy. Lawrence Phillips.

Stupid is as Stupid does. It's difficult for many of these young men to make a responsible transition due to their individual economic conditions they have suffered in their upbringing. Many have been raised with difficult financial situations, then suddenly start making 1 mill or more a year. Then bad decisions are made because they don't know how to adjust accordingly with the $$$$, fame, limelight and " I finally made it" mentality. I am not condoning their irresponsible actions, it's just the way our society revolves.
    1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007, 2011

Get Better #80, Hermano !!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueBoricua View Post
    Stupid is as Stupid does. It's difficult for many of these young men to make a responsible transition due to their individual economic conditions they have suffered in their upbringing. Many have been raised with difficult financial situations, then suddenly start making 1 mill or more a year. Then bad decisions are made because they don't know how to adjust accordingly with the $$$$, fame, limelight and " I finally made it" mentality. I am not condoning their irresponsible actions, it's just the way our society revolves.
    eeh....makes sense but rich kids **** up all the time too. I just think Will Hill doesn't think enough and for some reason cant grasp the idea that he cant smoke weed for now.
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

All-Pro
    Should of just ended with stupid is as stupid does.

Can we blame Universities for stuff like this? They pamper these guys, how does one go through 4 years (or whatever the # is) and still be a moron.

That's true, to an extent. But you see players who have come from poor backgrounds that don't make the same mistakes some of these other guys make. You see players that come from middle class/wealthy backgrounds making some of the same screw-ups. The economic background/upbringing plays a role, but who players choose to associate with and the people around them, schools/agents/fans, giving them a sense of entitlement because they have talent comes into play too.

A young player partying and spending after they come into a lot of money is understandable, because that's what a lot of young people will do if you come into a lot of cash. But some of these players in the pros are still making some of the mistakes (drugs/breaking the law) that they made in college because nobody forces them to start growing up because the people around them are waiting to get their piece of the financial pie. But, at some point, all of these players have to take responsibility for their own actions.
    One of these teams is not like the others

Quote Originally Posted by bandwgn86 View Post

Can we blame Universities for stuff like this? They pamper these guys, how does one go through 4 years (or whatever the # is) and still be a moron.
    having a college education and degree doesn make you or cure you of poor decision making. Lots of morons with degrees

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    having a college education and degree doesn make you or cure you of poor decision making. Lots of morons with degrees
    Hi GT.

I agree but maybe Universities could spend a little more time teaching them life skills while on scholarships instead of pampering them and telling them how great they are.

I'm assuming (again) a kid on a math scholarship is not exactly treated the same as say an athlete on a football scholarship.

People make mistakes, even when they have great opportunities in life. In other news, water is wet.
    I bELIeve in February 1, 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by bandwgn86 View Post

That is my point. We cannot hold everyone to the same standard expectations, even though we would like to. These young men make stupid mistakes regardless. Some have better judgement and some don't. Those that do make better decisions, ultimately will have more positive and enduring careers. That is life.
    1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007, 2011

Get Better #80, Hermano !!