+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: What to expect with this offense

Quote Originally Posted by Gimaniac View Post
    You're using running yardage statistics to define smashmouth.
    Again, No I am not.

It sure seems like you did though.

By their very definition:

West coast offense emphasizes the pass.
    Smash mouth football emphasizes the run.

So wtf are you talking about.
    Are you trying to argue that the 49ers aren't smash mouth or that they emphasize the run? Or that Broncos or Redskins under Shanahan? Or even the Jets in recent years? ALL of those are west coast teams that emphasis the run. That completely counters your statement above.

I have given you ample examples and you still have done nothing but challenge grammar and the definition of words, which you yourself have confused.
    Last edited by BlueSanta; 04-30-2014 at 06:16 PM.

Hopefully, they can combine the best of the West Coast Offense with GMen Smash Mouth run game as follows ( which I mentioned in a prior post....and yes I can dream.....)

1st Play - Running Back Counter with Jennings
    2nd Play -RB Draw with Hillis.
    3rd Play - RB Sweep with Jennings
    4th Play - RB Counter with Hillis
    5th Play - WR Post to Cruz ( with TE Option Fake - because we have no TE )

Bring the pain from the GetGo !!!!!!!!
    1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post
    Again, No I am not.
    Actually you did, here is one example.

"Green Bay was 1 of the best rushing teams in the NFL last year."

You're equating running success with smashmouth.

That would be a good point , IF Green Bay was not smashmouth last year. But they were. Eddie Lacy is a power back who tore holes in defenses.

Besides its not like I defined it like this:
    By their very definition:

West coast offense emphasizes the pass.
    Smash mouth football emphasizes the run.

So wtf are you talking about.

Btw, you used 1 example ..green bay. I mentioned multiple offenses. Are you going to say that the Broncos of the 90's weren't Smash mouth? Or the current 49ers? Or the Jets?

You said by definition that a west coast team cannot be smash mouth. YOUR words. So how do you explain those examples? I have asked this multiple times, you keep avoiding it or trying to change the subject. it is a straight forward question. If even 1 team is both smash mouth and west coast then your statement is incorrect. I have listed multiple examples of west coast offenses that are both.
    Last edited by BlueSanta; 04-30-2014 at 06:54 PM.

Did you watch how Eddie Lacy ran last year?

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    Yeah, because Frank Gore and Anthony Dixon shouldent be categorized as Smash mouth and neither should Ryan Grant, James Starks, and Eddie Lacy, right? Santaman is right on. Those teams are both smash mouth run game with west coast passing game. Only difference is the pass sets up the run more so then the run setting up the pass.
    Thats it. It may be also considered lower risk.

I really believe Eli will benefit more than anyone
    as its a faster pace and he can get into a sustained
    rythmn,

well a running game opens the passing game which, keeps defenses honest
    Formerly Brandon Jacobs

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post
    That would be a good point , IF Green Bay was not smashmouth last year. But they were. Eddie Lacy is a power back who tore holes in defenses.
    Well, when you're down to you 3rd string QB, I'd probably do the same. Especially, if I had Eddie Lacy on my team.

But I digress.

West coast offense emphasizes the short pass, opening up the run and long ball.
    Smash mouth football emphasizes the run, opening up the play action pass.

It doesn't matter what your ranking is at the end of the year, or if your back is powerful or not, or whether he smashes people in the mouth when he runs. What matters is your approach at getting the defense to react that defines you.

Well, when you're down to you 3rd string QB, I'd probably do the same. Especially, if I had Eddie Lacy on my team.

But I digress.

It doesn't matter what your ranking is at the end of the year, or if your back is powerful or not, or whether he smashes people in the mouth when he runs. What matters is your approach at getting the defense to react that defines you.
    WCO is a codified offensive system that has formed many different variants and philosophies. Smashmouth is a subjective nomenclature normally attributed to particular style of play, but isn't in of itself and actual offensive system. The two are not mutually exclusive.

But I digress.

Ill repeat myself AGAIN, since you refuse to answer a very simple question

How do you explain the 49ers? They are smash mouth and west coast.

How do you explain the Jets? They are both

Or the Chiefs?

Or the Broncos of the 90's?

How do you explain Green Bay last year?

Again, you said a team cannot be BOTH west coast and smash mouth.....Those were YOUR WORDS. So if any 1 of these examples fit the criteria of being both then your statement was incorrect.

So please, stop correcting grammar. Stop trying to redefine words, stop trying to give incorrect and overly simple definitions of the west coast system.

Just answer the question? How come there are so many examples of teams that are BOTH smash mouth and west coast if the 2 cannot exist together by definition(again, YOUR words)

+ Reply to Thread