+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzie0075 View Post
    You are talking about a guy that couldn't beat out Mike Glennon or Matt Cassel.
    Yes he is.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Honestly, I hope it's Nassib since the Giants traded up to get him, so let's see what he can do. Yeah, the back-up QB isn't the most glamorous position to worry about, but having a competent back-up waiting in the wings in case Eli's iron man streak runs out is a nice insurance policy.
    One of these teams is not like the others

Quote Originally Posted by ozzie0075 View Post
    You are talking about a guy that couldn't beat out Mike Glennon or Matt Cassel.
    No I'm talking about the guy who had 26 TDs 16INTs and a 96 QBR for a full season 3 yrs ago............Eli's highest QBR ever was 91

Feel free to make up some BS retort

LOL

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BParcells777 View Post
    No I'm talking about the guy who had 26 TDs 16INTs and a 96 QBR for a full season 3 yrs ago............Eli's highest QBR ever was 91

LOL
    I like Josh Freeman and think it was a good sining but a little odd because we traded up last year to take Ryan Nassib. If Josh comes in with a good work ethic he will be an excellent back up giving us great chance to win. I just hope he gets some playing time because if he doesn't I dont expect him here for the long haul.

Do you think the hiring of McAdoo has anything to do with all the QB signings?

Hey, how come Jomo picked Ro, but nobody else jumped on. I say give some pads and let's see what happens. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/gia...ntry-1.1771486

Excerpt: "The quarterbacks room at the Quest Diagnostics Training Center may need a few extra chairs this season. They'll at least need them for the upcoming Organized Team Activities (OTAs) and minicamp.

The Giants have spent most of coach Tom Coughlin's tenure with just two quarterbacks on his roster. Right now, after signing former Titans QB Rusty Smith, the Giants have five, two fresh off surgery.

Smith joins the recently signed Josh Freeman, the recently re-signed Curtis Painter and last year's fourth-round pick Ryan Nassib in the competition for the backup job. And then, of course, there is starter Eli Manning, who underwent an ankle procedure earlier this month and isn't expected to be a full-go until training camp.

No matter how much he gets on the field this spring, Manning's going to be the Giants' starting quarterback. He's still the franchise QB making $17.5 million this season. You don't pocket that type of cash to sit on the bench.

As long as he's healthy -- and everything seems to indicate he will be fine come camp -- Manning won't face any serious challenge for his job. The real competition will be for the backup job.

Now at this point, we can only assume what the offense will look like under new coordinator Ben McAdoo. The Giants haven't taken it on a field yet. They're still in the learning mode.

But based on Manning's comments last week that it's McAdoo's offense and it resembles the Packers' scheme, it's probably safe to assume the Giants will be running a West Coast-heavy system this season. That needs to be taken into consideration when trying to handicap the backup competition. Short, quick passes will be the norm. Accuracy will be the key.

As it stands right now, here's my take on the chances for each quarterback to be Eli Manning's primary backup when the season begins in September.

QB: Ryan Nassib

Why: The Giants selected him in the fourth round last year. It's uncommon to give up on a fourth-round pick after one year, especially after the new offensive coordinator only had a few months to work with him. Nassib will be given every opportunity to win and earn the backup spot behind Manning ... if he doesn't get traded. Fortunately, the new offense should work in his favor.

Odds to Win Job: 50%" Read more...
    My gut tells me Josh Freeman will be the back up....

Right now, it all depends on Nassib. If he's ready to go as a backup, he will be the backup. If not, Freeman gets the job and we keep Nassib as a QB3. I can't see Painter surviving cuts at all... as bad as Freeman was in 2013, he wasn't anywhere near as derpy as Painter has been. I'm still kinda surprised Painter beat out Carr last year (although I think that's because Carr's vet min pay scale was getting too high due to accrued seasons...)

All-Pro
    As long as it is not Painter it doesn't matter who it is.

Quote Originally Posted by BParcells777 View Post

LOL
    Freeman would be fine as a back up. I was referring to your statement that him being here would put pressure on Eli. I am 100% confident that Josh Freeman being here won't put any extra pressure on Eli. He is no threat to take over the job.

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    It makes for interesting, if not amusing conversation. But, I agree, so far we have seen nothing from any of the potential backups to think they would be much as starters. But, I am hoping Nassib takes a big leap forward and wins the backup job.

Nassib showed less than nothing last preseason against 2nd string defenses. Just because we drafted him with the 4th pick that we traded up for last yr does not mean that he makes the team this yr. At this point he is not worth a roster spot.