+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Omaha and the Mike?

Quote Originally Posted by gurujot View Post
    Well he has to say mike when he points out which LB is the mike on that play and Omaha lets everyone know hes about to snap when hes short on time. I might be a bit off on Omaha but Im pretty sure thats why he yells those.
    The newbies are cute with their serious responses to sarcastic threads lol

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    Maybe he'll switch to Green Eighteen
    That's a possibility, seeing as that's the equivalent verbiage in GB.

I'd imagine that Eli will still be calling out the protections.

He will still call out "Omaha," only now it will mean something completely different! OOH, how mysterious and secret. And once defenses starts to figure it out, they will switch it over to "Talahassee."
    Do not feed the trolls.

Central NJ - the DMZ of Giants/Eagles land
    Rumor says this season he'll say "Let them eat cake, hut, hut!"
    **Fan since 1970**

Quote Originally Posted by Roosevelt View Post
    Will Eli continue to utter these words on every play?

After all, it's April.
    Mike has nothing to do with any particular system

it is identifying the Mike backer... which is not necessarily the MLB.... it is just the "free man " to be picked up in the particular blocking scheme that is in place on that particular down

and Omaha is not really system based either .... simply a cadence call to alter the call to go on one

both are universal football calls
    Last edited by YATittle1962; 04-29-2014 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by YATittle1962 View Post

it is identifying the Mike backer... which is not necessarily the MLB.... it is just the "free man " to be picked up in the particular blocking scheme that is in place on that particular down

and Omaha is not really system based either .... simply a cadence call to alter the call to go on one

after all this talk about Omaha over the years here on the boards and hearing several other QBs use it how come people still dont know what it means and why do they think its a "tell" for the opposing defense?
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

I'm trying to think back to when first heard a QB identify the Mike, and I really don't remember anyone before Eli. I'm sure Peyton must have been doing it though.

Not all system or QB's do it the extent that we have and it will be somewhat interesting to see how these things change if at all.
    http://boards.giants.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25347&dateline=138526  4905

GIANTS IN DA HOUSE !
    1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Roosevelt View Post
    I'm trying to think back to when first heard a QB identify the Mike, and I really don't remember anyone before Eli. I'm sure Peyton must have been doing it though.

Not all system or QB's do it the extent that we have and it will be somewhat interesting to see how these things change if at all.
    really??...I would have thought QBs been doing this for a long long time. Wow....I camt believe its a recent call out.
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

i feel like i read somewhere that the Center is responsible for the line protections on field in the GB offense. If that came over with McAdoo, do you think the Walton or whoever we have starting at center will be the one identifying the Mike for the rest of the line?

+ Reply to Thread