+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What the seahawks moves teach us

What the seahawks moves teach us

With the hawks signing earl thomas to 10 mil a year and sherman to a soon to be 10-12 mil a year and RW3 to soon to be (at least) 18 mil a year thats $40 mil to 3 plays. Many of fans assume that's a huge problem. However, the seahawks realize that the salary cap is likely to break $150 mil in 2 years. resulting in an additional 17 million to sign their depth players. I think teams like the giants should look to lock up some young players now, so when the cap expands we'll have the young guys locked up at a below market rate which will allow us to sign other players. Had the hawks waited to do these extensions till all the contracts expired and the cap was at $150 they'd be paying earl thomas 12-14 mil a year, sherman 15 mil a year and RW3 23 mil year (at least). Point is the cap is going to create an additional 17 mil in space over 2 years...time to lock guys up so we can use that cash on oter players

Which young players are worth extending? Even JPP is a question mark at this point.

Banned
    Hasnt taught anything new. Teams have to draft really well to have a small window to go for the ring with a squad of young hungry players but after that you have to decide who your core is and pay them. Then you hope to round out the depth and stay competitive for a few years

The hawks knocked their recent drafts out of the park. Very difficult to do but if you can get one or two great drafts to form your core then you are up and running for a few years

Just wanted to chime in that Earl Thomas was my guy when he came out. Debated a ton on these boards about him.. I liked JPP to, but Earl Thomas was the guy I wanted most..

There really isn't anyone we need to jump on and sign this yr. We hold a 5th yr option on Amukumura if we'd like to except it, which would have Prince in Blue till after the 2015 season. I just see no rush to sign extensions to anyone on the Giants off the top of my head? I'm sure Pugh will get one eventually but no rush..

The comparison fails. Seahawks acheived greatness. Giants underacheived. More of our players need pay cuts rather than contract extensions.
    Do not feed the trolls.

Quote Originally Posted by gmen43 View Post
    With the hawks signing earl thomas to 10 mil a year and sherman to a soon to be 10-12 mil a year and RW3 to soon to be (at least) 18 mil a year thats $40 mil to 3 plays. Many of fans assume that's a huge problem. However, the seahawks realize that the salary cap is likely to break $150 mil in 2 years. resulting in an additional 17 million to sign their depth players. I think teams like the giants should look to lock up some young players now, so when the cap expands we'll have the young guys locked up at a below market rate which will allow us to sign other players. Had the hawks waited to do these extensions till all the contracts expired and the cap was at $150 they'd be paying earl thomas 12-14 mil a year, sherman 15 mil a year and RW3 23 mil year (at least). Point is the cap is going to create an additional 17 mil in space over 2 years...time to lock guys up so we can use that cash on oter players
    There is nothing to learn here. Two dimensional thinking. No two situations are alike or even close and EVERY plan can get blown up by injuries. The Seahawks are last year's champions, NOT this year's champions. You'd do better to study how they got in SB position last year.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    There is nothing to learn here. Two dimensional thinking. No two situations are alike or even close and EVERY plan can get blown up by injuries. The Seahawks are last year's champions, NOT this year's champions. You'd do better to study how they got in SB position last year.
    I think they were able to succeed based on their late round drafting and the fact that they are paying their starting QB $9 an hour. Once they have to pay the guys that got them there, their depth will suffer and the inevitable injuries will do them in.
    Maybe burning the boats isn't the greatest idea just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    +1
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

All it tells me is that good drafting is paramount. We won in 2007 because Reese hit a draft completely out of the park. No real superstars in that draft, but a whole bunch of reliable depth that answered the call and kept the team competitive.

2011, on the other hand, showcased what Reese could do with free agents (both undrafted and from other teams). He had gotten 3 viable starters as UDFA in the previous two years (Cruz, Ballard, and Hynoski), as well as some cheap veteran FA presence like Deon Grant. None of them had bank-breaking contracts at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckKnoxx View Post
    Whatever [Tom Quinn] says to keep a near decade long job has to be truly inspirational for him not to be working at IKEA right now.

it taught us that they are going to choke on those contracts like we did with Baas, Eli, Cruz

at some point you just have to cut and switch bait...... the Seahawks built through low priced Free Agents and the Draft.......they chose wisely.

+ Reply to Thread