+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    The lesson has already been learned by the caps increase this year, hopefully! Prices go up not down and I'm certain that the FO understands the dynamics of this. The other points are more philosophical. More will be revealed! Go Giants!

All-Pro
    There are talented scouts in the NFL and every team has there own staff of them but
    as much as there is skill to the process there is also a great deal of luck
    and timing involved.

For the seahawks they were able to get a bit of both.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    "Great team for years" has yet to happen.
    I'm not talking about them specifically when I say that, I'm just saying keeping a great core in tact is the only way to make a team great for years and if they're that good you do it at whatever price it costs and you worry about the surrounding pieces later

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    Which young players are worth extending? Even JPP is a question mark at this point.
    We're probably going to get tarred and feathered but I agree. When JPP is 100% healthy he is almost unstoppable but when he is injured he is just good. Figuring out a contract for JPP is going to be a nightmare and if he has a similar year in 2014 like he had in 2013, I could see him walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Mookskingdom View Post
    I'm not talking about them specifically when I say that, I'm just saying keeping a great core in tact is the only way to make a team great for years and if they're that good you do it at whatever price it costs and you worry about the surrounding pieces later
    That is a noble goal but a really tall order imo. Locking down a core of players to me says 8 or 10 guys maybe more. Injuries in today's game are just so random that such a strategy could easily backfire with bushells full of dead money. Locking down a QB or a couple of OL or a lockdown CB is one thing. However, I think the real winning strategy is to keep reloading in the draft with relatively cheap players.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    There are talented scouts in the NFL and every team has there own staff of them but
    as much as there is skill to the process there is also a great deal of luck
    and timing involved.

For the seahawks they were able to get a bit of both.
    Well said

Bench Player
    I think you guys are really missing OP's point. Of course drafting and winning is important...

He's saying that there's an unusual advantage to locking up players now rather than a few years down the line. A few years from now the market for all players will be higher as everyone's contracts really begin to adjust to a much much higher salary cap. Locking down long-term players now at the current market rate is beneficial as we would be paying them a contract based on the current market value and not the way more inflated market value in a few years that a booming salary cap creates.

I think it's a good theory to keep in mind when observing other teams' personnel decisions and maybe even our own in the short-term future. Unfortunately, I think very few young players on the giants roster right now should be considered under this "strategy".

Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    Just wanted to chime in that Earl Thomas was my guy when he came out. Debated a ton on these boards about him.. I liked JPP to, but Earl Thomas was the guy I wanted most..

There really isn't anyone we need to jump on and sign this yr. We hold a 5th yr option on Amukumura if we'd like to except it, which would have Prince in Blue till after the 2015 season. I just see no rush to sign extensions to anyone on the Giants off the top of my head? I'm sure Pugh will get one eventually but no rush..
    me too....I liked him more than Eric Berry and one of my buddies still debate who's better till this day

To be honest, I think they're just fortunate enough to have guys like Thomas and Sherman. Any team, even the Jags would do whatever is necessary to re-sign and keep players like that.

What the Seahawks did teach me, or rather re-confirm for me is that defense still wins championships. Peyton last year and Brady in '07 were 2 of the best offenses in the history of this league and they were both neutralized (in Peyton's case flat-out embarrassed) against a menacing defense.

IMO, locking up Prince at around $7M/year was not a bad idea that was being bandied about. He's not elite, but he's very good at coverage and $7M/year will be worth it for him.