+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzie0075 View Post
    The owners are mandating participation they had the opportunity to vote it down.
    I guess I just don't see the connection to the "game" of football. I certainly see the connection of lining someone's pockets
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    As I understand it, the NFL is mandating participation because HBO was having trouble finding teams to volunteer. The contract seems to be between HBO and NFL Films.

The easiest solution then, would be to let the teams who want to participate (those owners voting in favor of the rule) to line up as much as they like and leave the other teams to not participate.
    This is essentially what I posted. My idea was teams can opt-in or opt-out for hard knocks. Teams that opt-in are at risk for being selected, but teams that opt-out will not share in any revenue from the HBO contract itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    This is essentially what I posted. My idea was teams can opt-in or opt-out for hard knocks. Teams that opt-in are at risk for being selected, but teams that opt-out will not share in any revenue from the HBO contract itself.
    Fair enough Toad.....
    No one remembers who came in second.

Are we guessing, or is that a fact? UI've nwever watched the show so I am trying to catch up here. Earlier you mentioned that we had to participate because "that's the rule". What is the "rule", specifically?
    Guessing... Assuming... If not to the owners, where would league profits go? The owners are the "NFL", after all.

As for the rule - it's the one that the majority voted through:

If no team volunteers to appear on Hard Knocks, one may be selected for participation if they:

1. Haven't appeared on the show within the last ten years
    2. Have made the playoffs within the last 2 years
    3. Haven't hired a new Head Coach

Seeing as the Giants meet all those requirements, they are eligible for selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    It's mostly achieved through creative editing, same as any "reality" show...

I just don't get how 75% of the owners can be on board with continuing hard knocks while nobody wants to actualy volunteer and be the team to be filmed. A bunch of hypocrites. [bold]The eligibility of "being volunteered" should have been one rule: If the owner voted yes, your team can be conscripted. Simple as that.[/bold] You'd have a lot less voting in favor if that was the case...
    THAT's what I've been trying to say (though not as concisely).

Banned
    I hope Giants get on Hard Knocks this year. That would be so tight.

Veteran
    How much money is involved?
    T.V ratings, Ad revenue based on viewers if each break time slot has space for 3-4 ads on a primetime showing on an international channel like HBO, then you're talking what approx. 10-20 mill for add space if thats an hour slot and you break it up in to 4 segments thats 12-16 ads per show so 40-80 Mill per show in ad space. then there is a monetary compensation on ratings not sure how that pans out. so if its a 12 series show, on ads alone thats 480-960 Mill. I am sure there is a percentage profit that goes to the NFL and the participating team, once again not sure how that pans out.

just approx. but you can see how that adds up, no wonder why it was voted, money talks but never walks and thats why you have this dilemma of teams not stepping up to volunteer even though they voted pro HK.

Retweeted by Rueben Randle
    @Katdaddyjay 17h
    @RuebenRandle @OBJ_3 @Giants
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ps625a51fb.jpg

The bottom line......
    The league OK'd it.
    Mr. Mara is part of the league.
    Despite his "gates of heaven" remarks (or whatever he said) I would suspect he's enough of a team player to not stand in the way of Hard Knocks coming to the Giants.

Either way....It's probably not happening.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

i wouldnt want to see mara's initial reaction. he would be seriously angry

I guess I just don't see the connection to the "game" of football. I certainly see the connection of lining someone's pockets
    I agree....its nothing but a joke and anyting but reality.
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch