+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gmen46 View Post
    And that's the core of the debate on this thread. It should not be mandatory.

Sorry, but I don't agree with your premise of hypocrisy. I'm an NFL fan. I'm a Giants fan. For 45 years. Not watching or wanting to watch Hard Knocks--with or without my team in it--does not make me (or anyone else sharing that point of view) a "one dimensional hypocrite".

Not being a creepy fanboy who wants to watch the players in the showers and snapping towels in the locker room does not make me a one dimensional hypocrite.

I'm a fan of the game itself. I like watching (and rooting for) players on my team to make plays. Beyond what the team itself is willing to share with the public, I have no desire to be the fly on the wall that overhears players and coaches in meetings and on the practice field or a player's problems off the field or at home.

Just like the players enjoy having fans but don't really want to be friends with specific fans.

There's a line between being a fan and being a voyeur or a stalker.

Anyone who wants to watch that hyped circus called Hard Knocks, fine. Free country and all that.

I just believe that a team that does not want to participate and subject itself to that narcissistic exercise should not be forced to. I also believe it's curious and telling that so few teams have wanted to do the show that collectively many of those same teams voted to force themselves to do it.

I think, however, it's presumptuous to label any Giants fan who has absolutely no interest in watching the show (even with the Giants) as being a one dimensional hypocrite. If anything IS hypocritical, it is to not like the show and/or not want the Giants to perform in it, but then watch the show because the Giants are in it.
    Have you ever watched the show?

Banned
    And that's the core of the debate on this thread. It should not be mandatory.

Sorry, but I don't agree with your premise of hypocrisy. I'm an NFL fan. I'm a Giants fan. For 45 years. Not watching or wanting to watch Hard Knocks--with or without my team in it--does not make me (or anyone else sharing that point of view) a "one dimensional hypocrite".

Not being a creepy fanboy who wants to watch the players in the showers and snapping towels in the locker room does not make me a one dimensional hypocrite.

I'm a fan of the game itself. I like watching (and rooting for) players on my team to make plays. Beyond what the team itself is willing to share with the public, I have no desire to be the fly on the wall that overhears players and coaches in meetings and on the practice field or a player's problems off the field or at home.

Just like the players enjoy having fans but don't really want to be friends with specific fans.

There's a line between being a fan and being a voyeur or a stalker.

Anyone who wants to watch that hyped circus called Hard Knocks, fine. Free country and all that.

I just believe that a team that does not want to participate and subject itself to that narcissistic exercise should not be forced to. I also believe it's curious and telling that so few teams have wanted to do the show that collectively many of those same teams voted to force themselves to do it.

I think, however, it's presumptuous to label any Giants fan who has absolutely no interest in watching the show (even with the Giants) as being a one dimensional hypocrite. If anything IS hypocritical, it is to not like the show and/or not want the Giants to perform in it, but then watch the show because the Giants are in it.
    We all need a chill pill this offseason. Its the thunderdome in here lol.

Can some one please give ANY example of any type of "circus" or exploitation they have seen on the show?..... From those that have actually seen it?

The show is more documentary than anything - there's more drama in this thread than in any previous season of hard knocks that I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruttiger711 View Post
    Can some one please give ANY example of any type of "circus" or exploitation they have seen on the show?..... From those that have actually seen it?

The show is more documentary than anything - there's more drama in this thread than in any previous season of hard knocks that I've seen.
    I don't think those who would rather it not happen have anything against the effort or the quality of the product. Speaking only for me, I'd prefer this team, coming off such a horrible season, not have the distraction it brings.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    I don't think those who would rather it not happen have anything against the effort or the quality of the product. Speaking only for me, I'd prefer this team, coming off such a horrible season, not have the distraction it brings.
    I could be wrong, but I think I read you haven't watched either.... So while I wouldn't say it won't have some effect, I don't think it's tangible.

The players own iPhones are probably more of a distraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruttiger711 View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think I read you haven't watched either.... So while I wouldn't say it won't have some effect, I don't think it's tangible.

The players own iPhones are probably more of a distraction.
    We can agree to disagree. The players aren't allowed to have electronic devices at practices.

I haven't watched it but that doesn't change my hope we don't get involved.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

We can agree to disagree. The players aren't allowed to have electronic devices at practices.

There you go - there's a reason not to allow certain distractions while you're learning. Game time is a different story, cameras and people watching, screaming, etc... I don't know how deep they get into the playbook or the players' personal lives on these shows, but there's no possible theory anyone can give as to how this will help them improve.

Quote Originally Posted by rainierjef View Post
    you forget international market, displaced fans in different states.
    every year the Super Bowl breaks the spike in viewers to the previous year, why is it hard to believe that depending on which team is on hard knocks the viewing will spike.
    You're conflating viewers of networks (Super Bowl carriers) at no extra monthly charge with HBO, which is subscribers only.

Quote Originally Posted by TCHOF View Post
    Have you ever watched the show?
    Yes.

Ever watched a "Sights and Sounds" feature that the Giants have put out? The filming of Hard Knocks would be less invasive than that.

Not being a creepy fanboy who wants to watch the players in the showers and snapping towels in the locker room
    You really should watch the show before attempting to judge it.
    Last edited by Flip Empty; 04-30-2014 at 10:01 PM.