+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    I can't really see Mara doing anything if the Giants get picked for Hard Knocks, except accepting it. He can scream, shout or yell, but not much else. Especially after the NFL played a Super Bowl at MetLife earlier this year, which probably put more money in his pocket and put more money into the New York/New Jersey area. If Mara ever wants to host another Super Bowl, which he probably does, fighting the NFL about the Giants being on Hard Knocks isn't the way to go about doing.
    One of these teams is not like the others

Quote Originally Posted by YATittle1962 View Post
    Mr. Mara is much more concerned with what is good for the NY Giants

and Hard Knocks is not one of those things
    Good thing that wasn't his father's attitude when he brought revenue sharing to the league.
    Wellington Mara's attitude was quite different that the way you're describing John Mara's.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap88 View Post
    I can't really see Mara doing anything if the Giants get picked for Hard Knocks, except accepting it. He can scream, shout or yell, but not much else. Especially after the NFL played a Super Bowl at MetLife earlier this year, which probably put more money in his pocket and put more money into the New York/New Jersey area. If Mara ever wants to host another Super Bowl, which he probably does, fighting the NFL about the Giants being on Hard Knocks isn't the way to go about doing.
    he doesn't have to fight anyone

John Mara holds more league clout in his pinkie than Roger Goodell

the owners own Goodell.... and the Mara and Rooney family are at the top of that list

I just dont think nfl teams want this? It is like they are being forced to do it. Why was Hard Knocks even introduced to the NFL? and why are teams being made to do it? What dotted line nonsense did NFL teams sign?

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Good thing that wasn't his father's attitude when he brought revenue sharing to the league.
    Wellington Mara's attitude was quite different that the way you're describing John Mara's.
    his father would never let cameras inside those walls... not in a million years

Wellington Mara would not see a TV show documenting training camp something that benefitted the league whatsoever

Quote Originally Posted by rbsp7 View Post
    https://twitter.com/LooneyonFox/stat...71588507779072

‏@LooneyonFox
    HBO and the NFL have narrowed down the HARD KNOCKS teams to a list of three: Bears, Giants, Steelers
    Quit wasting your time on this nonsense because it's not going to be the Giants on Hard Knocks!
    John Mara said that the team would appear on the show over his dead body, which sounds pretty much like a NO to me.

Wellington Mara would not see a TV show documenting training camp something that benefitted the league whatsoever
    I'm speaking more as a general philosophy. If the owners, through their charter, agree that Hard Knocks is a desired broadcast to promote the league, even if Mr. Mara stood in dissent, doesn't he have an obligation to participate when his turn comes?

It's like when Jerry Jones said that he would never allow his team to waste a home game on a London game. He could be overruled by the appropriate majority.

Why is this different?
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    I'm speaking more as a general philosophy. If the owners, through their charter, agree that Hard Knocks is a desired broadcast to promote the league, even if Mr. Mara stood in dissent, doesn't he have an obligation to participate when his turn comes?

It's like when Jerry Jones said that he would never allow his team to waste a home game on a London game. He could be overruled by the appropriate majority.

Why is this different?
    The owners voted to mandate that one team appears every year. So if the Giants are picked Mara likely doesn't have much recourse. If he refuses the franchise would be penalized in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzie0075 View Post
    The owners voted to mandate that one team appears every year. So if the Giants are picked Mara likely doesn't have much recourse. If he refuses the franchise would be penalized in some way.
    Maybe John Mara is prepared to accept the consequences. I suppose we should wait to see if the team is picked out of the hat.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

I've been reflecting on this for the past few days YA. The announcement of surgery on Painter's knee is another perfect example of how little we get to know as fans of this team. Do we know when he hurt it? Do we know how he hurt it? No and no. Do we know anything about Ryan Nassib's development with the team after a full year here? No

Did we ever hear anything about the progress of our backup OL like Petrus and Brewer and the rest of the lunk heads? No

I get the whole secrecy thing. We don't want our competitors to know what our needs are and where our holes are.

On the other hand we are spoon fed tiny little morsels that are polished up little nothings, often delivered by some veteran like Tuck who loses his voice with the fans when he's overexposed. We need to hear more from the coaches and GM imo.

I find it all frustrating. I would even call it a little insulting (maybe just to me).

Other than what we see in the games on Sunday, we really know prescious little about our belived Giants.

This may be part of what is driving some people to want us on Hard Knocks. They want to know more about their team and although I don't want Hard Knocks the Giants version I am sympathetic to the emotion of those who do.
    No one remembers who came in second.