+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sharick88 View Post
    If this stuff ends up being true, he should be finished. His track record speaks for itself. Just not too long ago, he was considered the worst owner in all of sports. Worse than Jerry Jones and James Dolan.
    I think he's the only person who could be considered a worse owner than James Dolan (who happens to own 2 of my fav teams ) I think what he said is disgusting and people should boycott the clippers because if mark cuban could get fines left and right for his actions they HAVE to at least suspend him. The NBA, their players, and the fans should collectively boycott the clippers until he is gone, dont go to their games, dont buy their merch, dont even have it on the shelves until this hate monger is out of there
    Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6, and like us on facebook 'NYG Scarf Soldiers'

Well...I can guaranteed I won't spend a dime at the LA Clipper's home stadium cause I'm on the East Coast. lol

All-Pro
    He is a nobody. Why is everyone stressing over it? Do you know how many racist people of all skin colors exist? He is another one that should not be paid any mind.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueAllDay View Post
    Well...I can guaranteed I won't spend a dime at the LA Clipper's home stadium cause I'm on the East Coast. lol
    If you even tune in to a game you are making him money?

Quote Originally Posted by n420p69 View Post
    He is a nobody. Why is everyone stressing over it? Do you know how many racist people of all skin colors exist? He is another one that should not be paid any mind.
    He is the owner of an NBA team that employs thousands of people and has endless sponsors and stockholders. This situation is a big deal. There is plenty at stake in a ton of levels. Again, I am not going in on exactly what he allegedly said for the respect of the message board. I am expecting the league to make a huge deal out of this. They have no choice.
    Close or you hit the bricks

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap88 View Post
    Sterling's not just some no-name person on the street that people can ignore. He's the owner of a pro team that employs minorities in a league dominated by minorities. That puts him in a position to do damage not only to black players, coaches and executives, but to the league itself. Plus, he's got a history of discriminatory practices in some of his other business ventures.

And, yes, racists come in all colors. Let's say if Michael Jordan as an NBA owner made racist comments about whites, in a league dominated by white owners, it would be equally offensive and couldn't just be brushed aside. Because Jordan, as an owner, would be damaging the league's image and he could do damage to white players, coaches and executives.
    I definitely get what you are saying, but I have to respectfully ask you to chill out on the race thing because I don't want them to delete this nice thread. I do agree that this thing is a huge deal. It will affect all of sports to a degree.
    Close or you hit the bricks

On one hand, I don't think his team should be taken from him. I think in a capitalist society, the consumer has the option to punish him or give him some kind of reprieve if they're truly disgusted.

But on the other hand, sport franchises are a different animal. If a hardware store owner was caught saying something like this, he'd likely feel the wrath in the way of loss of profit. However, Sports franchises have a hold on people's hearts rather than their logic. People are still going to pour money into this man's franchise.

I saw an ironic fan sign from a clippers fan at one of the games that said "I brought a black person to the game" (and his friend had a sign that said "Black Guy"). While that may bother Sterling, he's still getting that person's money.

So I wouldn't mind if the NBA took the necessary measures to remove him from his position, since ultimately they have to deal with the PR perspective of it all.

I just listened to the audio of this, and I am somewhat confused. He says over and over that he has no negative feelings towards minorities, but doesn't want his wife/GF to have pictures with black people so he doesnt have to deal with his friends annoying him about it (I guess they are racists?)? Is that what the story is here? Obviously some of what he said about his GF not being able to take pictures with black people is racist and wrong and just straight out stupid, but is that all that this whole story is about? Or is there more? I mean, he is with a black / latina girl. I feel like it was bad what he said, but NOTHING compared to what Riley Cooper has said. I didnt hear any N bombs or extremely rasict talk. He said he didnt want Magic Johnson to go to Clippers games? Every time the GF brought up skin color he argues with her about its not about that. He said it several times.

Eh, whatever. I think it is slightly overblown compared to other stuff that has gone on. I understand people being very upset with it though. And since he is an owner of a sports franchise, everything is magnified. It would be kind of hard for "his" players to play for him now right?
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the mouth."

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    I just listened to the audio of this, and I am somewhat confused. He says over and over that he has no negative feelings towards minorities, but doesn't want his wife/GF to have pictures with black people so he doesnt have to deal with his friends annoying him about it (I guess they are racists?)? Is that what the story is here? Obviously some of what he said about his GF not being able to take pictures with black people is racist and wrong and just straight out stupid, but is that all that this whole story is about? Or is there more? I mean, he is with a black / latina girl. I feel like it was bad what he said, but NOTHING compared to what Riley Cooper has said. I didnt hear any N bombs or extremely rasict talk. He said he didnt want Magic Johnson to go to Clippers games? Every time the GF brought up skin color he argues with her about its not about that. He said it several times.

Eh, whatever. I think it is slightly overblown compared to other stuff that has gone on. I understand people being very upset with it though. And since he is an owner of a sports franchise, everything is magnified. It would be kind of hard for "his" players to play for him now right?
    I agree that the comments weren't as visceral as I expected. Kind of sounds like an insecure guy whose concerned about what his friend will think/boyfriend inferiority complex to some degree.

I think Sharick is really trying to avoid the issue of actually talking about the comments because that can easily devolve and turn into a debate of what is racist and what is not, and then further devolve into a racist witch-hunt, etc.

So I'll leave it at this. This is not the first documented evidence of Sterling's feelings toward minorities. And I think that's why this is gaining even more traction.

Quote Originally Posted by sharick88 View Post
    I definitely get what you are saying, but I have to respectfully ask you to chill out on the race thing because I don't want them to delete this nice thread. I do agree that this thing is a huge deal. It will affect all of sports to a degree.
    I was addressing a point that the poster made about racists coming in all colors, which is true. But I get where you're coming from. But it's hard to avoid discussing the topic of race at all when that's what's at the very core of the Sterling controversy.
    One of these teams is not like the others