+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Giants' QB Competition: Setting The Odds On Who Will Be Eli Manning's Backup

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/gia...ntry-1.1771486

Excerpt: "The quarterbacks room at the Quest Diagnostics Training Center may need a few extra chairs this season. They'll at least need them for the upcoming Organized Team Activities (OTAs) and minicamp.

The Giants have spent most of coach Tom Coughlin's tenure with just two quarterbacks on his roster. Right now, after signing former Titans QB Rusty Smith, the Giants have five, two fresh off surgery.

Smith joins the recently signed Josh Freeman, the recently re-signed Curtis Painter and last year's fourth-round pick Ryan Nassib in the competition for the backup job. And then, of course, there is starter Eli Manning, who underwent an ankle procedure earlier this month and isn't expected to be a full-go until training camp.

No matter how much he gets on the field this spring, Manning's going to be the Giants' starting quarterback. He's still the franchise QB making $17.5 million this season. You don't pocket that type of cash to sit on the bench.

As long as he's healthy -- and everything seems to indicate he will be fine come camp -- Manning won't face any serious challenge for his job. The real competition will be for the backup job.

Now at this point, we can only assume what the offense will look like under new coordinator Ben McAdoo. The Giants haven't taken it on a field yet. They're still in the learning mode.

But based on Manning's comments last week that it's McAdoo's offense and it resembles the Packers' scheme, it's probably safe to assume the Giants will be running a West Coast-heavy system this season. That needs to be taken into consideration when trying to handicap the backup competition. Short, quick passes will be the norm. Accuracy will be the key.

As it stands right now, here's my take on the chances for each quarterback to be Eli Manning's primary backup when the season begins in September.

QB: Ryan Nassib

Why: The Giants selected him in the fourth round last year. It's uncommon to give up on a fourth-round pick after one year, especially after the new offensive coordinator only had a few months to work with him. Nassib will be given every opportunity to win and earn the backup spot behind Manning ... if he doesn't get traded. Fortunately, the new offense should work in his favor.

Odds to Win Job: 50%" Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

I think Freeman should be the back up.........put a little pressure on Eli, he needs it

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BParcells777 View Post
    I think Freeman should be the back up.........put a little pressure on Eli, he needs it
    Way to ruin the thread before it even started

Does anyone care who Eli's backup is, really? (I know there are some loons who do)
    If we go to war with Eli's backup we are screwed so it doesn't matter if the backup is Nassib or Painter or Freeman or Roanoke.
    Let's obsess over something that matters..........
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    Does anyone care who Eli's backup is, really? (I know there are some loons who do)
    If we go to war with Eli's backup we are screwed so it doesn't matter if the backup is Nassib or Painter or Freeman or Roanoke.
    A good backup helps the team in practice, the film room, and on the sideline during games. It definitely matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    A good backup helps the team in practice, the film room, and on the sideline during games
    Exactly, not terribly important except in a polically correct sort of way.

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    It makes for interesting, if not amusing conversation. But, I agree, so far we have seen nothing from any of the potential backups to think they would be much as starters. But, I am hoping Nassib takes a big leap forward and wins the backup job.
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

The only problem I have with this many qbs is after the preseason cuts, there will be a number of qbs available that know our new offensive scheme/playbook.

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    It makes for interesting, if not amusing conversation. But, I agree, so far we have seen nothing from any of the potential backups to think they would be much as starters. But, I am hoping Nassib takes a big leap forward and wins the backup job.
    It is interesting I won't lie, just wanted to frame the obvious which is that if Eli is not able to answer the bell, we will all be watching college basketball early.

Quote Originally Posted by BParcells777 View Post
    You are talking about a guy that couldn't beat out Mike Glennon or Matt Cassel.