+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    5 picks too in those situations and only a 6.35 yard average so what were they really doing there?? Trying to catch and run?

just a testement to how bad the O was. Even with that short average they still managed to turn it over 5 times.
    Considering all the picks Eli threw this year, 5 on third and fourth down is low overall. It means most of his picks came on 1st or 2nd down.
    the "realist" is a lazy piece of crap that works on his tan while sipping a margarita,
    the pessimist changes the sails while complaining about the lazy piece of crap,
    and the optimist changes the sails while hoping the lazy piece of crap will start to do his share of the work.

Banned
    5 interceptions on 3rd and 4th downs with 9+ yards to gain.

Quote Originally Posted by Manning View Post
    5 interceptions on 3rd and 4th downs with 9+ yards to gain.
    you are right. In my defense, it seemed like they were all 9+ yards to gain.
    the "realist" is a lazy piece of crap that works on his tan while sipping a margarita,
    and the optimist changes the sails while hoping the lazy piece of crap will start to do his share of the work.

All-Pro
    Lack of success on 1st and 2nd down was clearly an issue last year. But stats can be misleading. It seems some here are trying to absolve Eli of any responsibility because he was always in 3rd and long situations, as if they never threw the ball on 1st or 2nd downs. Correlation does not equal causation, and this stat is a perfect example of that. They weren't playing poorly because they had a lot of 3rd and long situations, they had a lot of 3rd and long situations because they were playing poorly as a unit.
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Lack of success on 1st and 2nd down was clearly an issue last year. But stats can be misleading. It seems some here are trying to absolve Eli of any responsibility because he was always in 3rd and long situations, as if they never threw the ball on 1st or 2nd downs. Correlation does not equal causation, and this stat is a perfect example of that. They weren't playing poorly because they had a lot of 3rd and long situations, they had a lot of 3rd and long situations because they were playing poorly as a unit.
    Who is absolving Eli from his play on 1st and 2nd down? The attempts figure is an indicator how poor the entire offense was on 1st and 2nd down and how often we were in 3rd and long situations.

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    As I said, "Pathetic, and not just Eli, but the whole offense. "

5 picks too in those situations and only a 6.35 yard average so what were they really doing there?? Trying to catch and run?

just a testement to how bad the O was. Even with that short average they still managed to turn it over 5 times.
    5 picks definietly is not good, but considering those are downs that picks are more likely, it could be worse.

You're reading the yards per attempt stat all wrong, though. The yards per includes the 0 yards on all the incompletions. So, even if we threw it 20 yards downfield and the pass was incomplete, it'd go down as 0 yards for that attempt. How far the ball travelled in the air has no effect on that stat if it's incomplete. We averaged 11.79 per completion.

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    5 picks definietly is not good, but considering those are downs that picks are more likely, it could be worse.

You're reading the yards per attempt stat all wrong, though. The yards per includes the 0 yards on all the incompletions. So, even if we threw it 20 yards downfield and the pass was incomplete, it'd go down as 0 yards for that attempt. How far the ball travelled in the air has no effect on that stat if it's incomplete. We averaged 11.79 per completion.
    ok...I get that..

they still sucked....lol
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

ok...I get that..

they still sucked....lol
    Never said they didn't, but the picture wasn't quite the way it seemed you were picturing it.
    Last edited by Drez; 04-30-2014 at 02:19 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    you are right. In my defense, it seemed like they were all 9+ yards to gain.
    They were. It was only 9 yards if we were lucky

100 bucks we led the league in 3rd and 15+, 3rd and 20+, hell.. 3rd and 30+ and the average yards per play doesn't surprise me at all, if its 3rd and 9+ you know under gilbrides scheme we're exclusively throwing anywhere in the range of a screen to a 4 yard pass, to throw it any further than that would be blasphemy