Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
The deal is this. We need to play the best players and we need to find the best mix we can afford within the salary cap. Nowhere in there did I say we have to play the guys who make the most money. Russell Wilson is the third highest paid quarterback on the Seattle Seahawks right now. Should they be paying the guys who make more? Of course not. Now, the Beatty contract which is an unmitigated disaster obviously presents us with a problem because it makes money more scarce to field a strong team. Playing a guy just because of his contract however is a formula for losing. This is a meritocracy and we need a much better LT in 2014. The good news is that Beatty set such a low bar last year that we can upgrade there without adding another big contract. We are also fully budgeted for rookies so that is not an issue if we choose to go for a LT in the first round. It is all good..........
I agree with all of this, and yet something tells me that the team wants their 37 million dollar man to produce. That's not to say they won't draft one high but at least we have camp competition to hopefully get the right mix of linemen on the field for 19 or 20 games