+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oline !

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    The deal is this. We need to play the best players and we need to find the best mix we can afford within the salary cap. Nowhere in there did I say we have to play the guys who make the most money. Russell Wilson is the third highest paid quarterback on the Seattle Seahawks right now. Should they be paying the guys who make more? Of course not. Now, the Beatty contract which is an unmitigated disaster obviously presents us with a problem because it makes money more scarce to field a strong team. Playing a guy just because of his contract however is a formula for losing. This is a meritocracy and we need a much better LT in 2014. The good news is that Beatty set such a low bar last year that we can upgrade there without adding another big contract. We are also fully budgeted for rookies so that is not an issue if we choose to go for a LT in the first round. It is all good..........
    I agree with all of this, and yet something tells me that the team wants their 37 million dollar man to produce. That's not to say they won't draft one high but at least we have camp competition to hopefully get the right mix of linemen on the field for 19 or 20 games
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    He is going to surprise you this season
    You know my position here...............I always HOPE for the best. However, we had better not be PLANNING on him helping us because the contrary data and evidence on him are too strong imo. With the huge egg he laid last year (and only one good year in the previous 4) I would be skeptical going into this year BEFORE the injury, which aparently was a serious one.
    Last edited by jomo; 04-30-2014 at 03:36 PM.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
    Like Beatty or not I think we invested too much in him to give up so soon. My real issue is that I'm not sold on Walton at center
    Nobody should be sold with Walton. Walton is a big gamble considering the amount of money he was given as well.

For Will beatme I think if they make the line stronger around him he will be less of a liability. What he needs to do is put on upper body mass.

Quote Originally Posted by appodictic View Post
    For Will beatme I think if they make the line stronger around him he will be less of a liability. What he needs to do is put on upper body mass.
    Once he's done that he will need to grow a pair. (was that mean?)

I think Zack Martin is the pick at 12. He can play OG or OT his rookie year.

Mike Mayock thinks Martin is underrated by most and might actually go in the top 10:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...2014-nfl-draft

Quote Originally Posted by moosedrool View Post
    I think Zack Martin is the pick at 12. He can play OG or OT his rookie year.

Mike Mayock thinks Martin is underrated by most and might actually go in the top 10:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...2014-nfl-draft
    I thought the same thing to until this article came out. Now, I think this is a smoke screen. Or maybe, the Giants want other teams to think its a smoke screen. For the love of God, draft day needs to happen already...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...iants-favorite

I'm thinking that the Giants may have some trade interest at 12 . Teams like the 49ers have a ton of picks and they would love a WR. If only 1 QB goes through the top 11 picks teams will be climbing all over themselves to get in front of the Rams to get Bortles. I think the Giants can get a swap of their 1 plus a 2 and 4 for their pick. Get a Lineman late in 1st and a TE and WR in the 2nd Center in the 3rd or 4th

Quote Originally Posted by sethm View Post
    I'm thinking that the Giants may have some trade interest at 12 . Teams like the 49ers have a ton of picks and they would love a WR. If only 1 QB goes through the top 11 picks teams will be climbing all over themselves to get in front of the Rams to get Bortles. I think the Giants can get a swap of their 1 plus a 2 and 4 for their pick. Get a Lineman late in 1st and a TE and WR in the 2nd Center in the 3rd or 4th
    Sign me up for that sethm.

I think the versatility of Pugh will come in handy, and lets say we draft someone like Martin, his versatility will help also. If Beatty comes back and sucks again, we can go ahead with Martin at LT and Pugh at RT. Lets say Martin does well in LT and Beatty comes back, but Martin is doing so well you dont want to disrupt it, you move Beatty to RT, keep Martin at LT and move Pugh to RG. Or if Beatty comes back and plays well at LT, you dont want to move Pugh from RT, so you move Martin to RG.

Drafting an olineman round 1 basically covers our arse just incase Beatty doesnt come back and/or he sucks when he does come back. If Beatty comes back and kills it, then were left with a plethora of olineman and i could see Snee becoming more of a coach for the younger guys.

But as of right now we have 3 question marks still on the oline with Beatty coming off a broken leg/a miserable 2013, Snee coming off 2 hip surgeries and i believe an elbow surgery as well, and Walton who hasnt played in 2 years.

Either way you look at it, Giants have to draft ATLEAST 1 olineman in one of the 1st 3 rounds and probably looking at atleast 2 olineman drafted throughout the whole draft

+ Reply to Thread