Thread: Oline !

Quote Originally Posted by DRC View Post
    that's not Beatty.... that's a baby

Quote Originally Posted by Carter.525 View Post
    where's Beatty?
    recuperating and napping
    1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Mookskingdom View Post
    Can't do anything about it though, plus I think were all writing him off a bit prematurely, he had one very bad season after one very good season
    That is true but you can't just cherry pick the last 2 years and ignore what happened before that. It can be summed up as follows: "very little and often injured in his first 3 years in the league". So we've got one very good season out of five and I say, the front office better not count on a guy with a .200 batting average, coming off a mentally weak season punctuated by a serious injury.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    That is true but you can't just cherry pick the last 2 years and ignore what happened before that. It can be summed up as follows: "very little and often injured in his first 3 years in the league". So we've got one very good season out of five and I say, the front office better not count on a guy with a .200 batting average, coming off a mentally weak season punctuated by a serious injury.
    +1

Like Beatty or not I think we invested too much in him to give up so soon. My real issue is that I'm not sold on Walton at center

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
    Like Beatty or not I think we invested too much in him to give up so soon. My real issue is that I'm not sold on Walton at center
    I haven't given up on Beatty. I just don't want the front office COUNTING on him.

He is of course part of the problem and not part of the solution imo.
    He is going to surprise you this season
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Banned
    I haven't given up on Beatty. I just don't want the front office COUNTING on him.
    We don't really have much a choice, were already stuck dumping all that money into a position, in the midst of that were gonna invest a #12 pick into the same position? Other areas are going to suffer greatly from a mistake like that

Veteran
    Fair enough but I guess you are also willing to pay Beatty's salary for the life of his contract so the Gaints don't have to take any cap hits or pay him obscene sums of money to warm the bench. When you or someone else with the means does that then talk to me about cutting/benching him in favor of a rookie Left Tackle who'll likely not be Lewan who suddenly may not be available at the 12th spot of this year's draft due to his stock rising rapidly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mookskingdom View Post
    We don't really have much a choice, were already stuck dumping all that money into a position, in the midst of that were gonna invest a #12 pick into the same position? Other areas are going to suffer greatly from a mistake like that
    Yup.
    Last edited by repeatchamps; 04-30-2014 at 03:12 PM.
    Over 5500 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

Quote Originally Posted by repeatchamps View Post
    Fair enough but I guess you are also willing to pay Beatty's salary for the life of his contract so the Gaints don't have to take any cap hits or pay him obscene sums of money to warm the bench. When you or someone else with the means does that then talk to me about cutting/benching him in favor of a rookie Left Tackle who'll likely not be Lewan who suddenly may not be available at the 12th spot of this year's draft due to his stock rising rapidly.

Yup.
    The deal is this. We need to play the best players and we need to find the best mix we can afford within the salary cap. Nowhere in there did I say we have to play the guys who make the most money. Russell Wilson is the third highest paid quarterback on the Seattle Seahawks right now. Should they be playing the guys who make more? Of course not. Now, the Beatty contract which is an unmitigated disaster obviously presents us with a problem because it makes money more scarce to field a strong team. Playing a guy just because of his contract however is a formula for losing. This is a meritocracy and we need a much better LT in 2014. The good news is that Beatty set such a low bar last year that we can upgrade there without adding another big contract. We are also fully budgeted for rookies so that is not an issue if we choose to go for a LT in the first round. It is all good..........
    Last edited by jomo; 04-30-2014 at 03:34 PM.