+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Oline !

Quote Originally Posted by sethm View Post
    I'm thinking that the Giants may have some trade interest at 12 . Teams like the 49ers have a ton of picks and they would love a WR. If only 1 QB goes through the top 11 picks teams will be climbing all over themselves to get in front of the Rams to get Bortles. I think the Giants can get a swap of their 1 plus a 2 and 4 for their pick. Get a Lineman late in 1st and a TE and WR in the 2nd Center in the 3rd or 4th
    to move up from 30 to 12 id hope theyd give a little more than a 2nd and 4th lol probably 2 2nds or a 2nd 3rd 6th something like that. wouldnt be cheap to move up 18 spots into the top 12 though

Quote Originally Posted by gibril28wilson View Post
    I think the versatility of Pugh will come in handy, and lets say we draft someone like Martin, his versatility will help also. If Beatty comes back and sucks again, we can go ahead with Martin at LT and Pugh at RT. Lets say Martin does well in LT and Beatty comes back, but Martin is doing so well you dont want to disrupt it, you move Beatty to RT, keep Martin at LT and move Pugh to RG. Or if Beatty comes back and plays well at LT, you dont want to move Pugh from RT, so you move Martin to RG.

Drafting an olineman round 1 basically covers our arse just incase Beatty doesnt come back and/or he sucks when he does come back. If Beatty comes back and kills it, then were left with a plethora of olineman and i could see Snee becoming more of a coach for the younger guys.

But as of right now we have 3 question marks still on the oline with Beatty coming off a broken leg/a miserable 2013, Snee coming off 2 hip surgeries and i believe an elbow surgery as well, and Walton who hasnt played in 2 years.

Either way you look at it, Giants have to draft ATLEAST 1 olineman in one of the 1st 3 rounds and probably looking at atleast 2 olineman drafted throughout the whole draft
    +1 and that is why getting an extra pick or two in a trade down will really help.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by moosedrool View Post
    I think Zack Martin is the pick at 12. He can play OG or OT his rookie year.

Mike Mayock thinks Martin is underrated by most and might actually go in the top 10:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...2014-nfl-draft
    I think Giants pick him up too

Whatever the Oline looks like, the team needs to make this a priority. Eli's horrors can be remedied if the guys in front of him can do the job. I had a bad feeling going into last year, and although the line looks very different this year, I am not convinced that we have fixed the holes yet... I am hopeful, but I am tired of watching Eli get destroyed by opponents' pass-rushers.

Lot's of agreement here. I'm all for trading back, we can definitely use more picks. 2 draft picks to help with the immediate, as well as the future of our oline, will make everyone more confident in the talent there.
    Do not feed the trolls.

Veteran
    It is unfathomable to me that people actually think that any rookie Left Tackle that the Giants will have the ability to select at 12 can just be inserted if Beatty is not healthy or continues to stink and all our problems will be solved at that spot. Pugh worked out last year at the Right Tackle spot but that was damn lucky as most rookie tackles selected beyond the top 2 or 3 (at most) OT's in the draft struggle mightily and may actually be a downgrade over what even Beatty provided last year. I guess people are fine with Eli getting demolished again all season. smh. Beatty is capable of playing better than last year and for the money he's being paid he has to and knowing Coughlin's approach to the O-line, I fully expect Beatty to be the starter if he is 100% come week 1. Any draft pick selected in the top 15 is going to make a ton of money too. Do any of you really think the Giants can afford to pay Beatty and an OT selected 12th overall? Also, when you consider the Schwartz contract, that's a ton of money invested into two spots (just the left ones at that) on the O-line.
    Last edited by repeatchamps; 05-07-2014 at 11:26 AM.
    Over 5500 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

Quote Originally Posted by repeatchamps View Post
    It is unfathomable to me that people actually think that any rookie Left Tackle that the Gaints will have the ability to select at 12 can just be inserted if Beatty is not healthy or continues to stink and all our problems will be solved at that spot. Pugh worked out last year at the Right Tackle spot but that was damn lucky as most rookie tackles selected beyond the top 2 or 3 (at most) OT's in the draft struggle mightily and may actually be a downgrade over what even Beatty provided last year. I guess people are fine with Eli getting demolished again all season. smh. Beatty is capable of playing better than last year and for the money he's being paid he has to and knowing Coughlin's approach to the O-line, I fully expect Beatty to be the starter if he is 100% come week 1. Any draft pick selected in the top 15 is going to make a ton of money too. Do any of you really think the Giants can afford to pay Beatty and an OT selected 12th overall? Also, when you consider the Schwartz contract, that's a ton of money invested into two spots (just the left ones at that) on the O-line.
    So Beatty is going to be better this year because "for the money he's being paid, he has to." How did that logic work out last year?

I agree with your basic premise that finding a LT to just step in right away is highly unlikely. Still, Beatty set such a low bar last year a rookie upgrade there is not out of the question. Plus, who said the draft would necessarily be a one for one swap at LT? We could draft a RT and give Pugh a try at LT or see what some of the new FAs might be able to do. I just think that counting on Beatty for anything is lunacy and could kill another season for us.

We should view anything good we get from Beatty this year as found money.

Beatty is simply going to have to be told that his contract guarantees nothing as far as playing time goes, IMO he will have to beat out the competition to be a starter

Quote Originally Posted by JesseJames View Post
    Beatty is simply going to have to be told that his contract guarantees nothing as far as playing time goes, IMO he will have to beat out the competition to be a starter
    ...........which is as it should be. I hope he earns comeback player of the year. We just shoulnd't be planning around that.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    The deal is this. We need to play the best players and we need to find the best mix we can afford within the salary cap. Nowhere in there did I say we have to play the guys who make the most money. Russell Wilson is the third highest paid quarterback on the Seattle Seahawks right now. Should they be playing the guys who make more? Of course not. Now, the Beatty contract which is an unmitigated disaster obviously presents us with a problem because it makes money more scarce to field a strong team. Playing a guy just because of his contract however is a formula for losing. This is a meritocracy and we need a much better LT in 2014. The good news is that Beatty set such a low bar last year that we can upgrade there without adding another big contract. We are also fully budgeted for rookies so that is not an issue if we choose to go for a LT in the first round. It is all good..........
    I think that if we're going be sincere about fixing the O line then we have to stop thinking about Beatty's contract and look at the position objectively and do what has to be done and that is finding a player who can play LT at the level needed to protect Manning. Beatty's contract was a colossal blunder which can't be fixed and all we can do is hope he can come back and surprise us by his great play or just eat his contract and live with it...