+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Oline !

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    You know my position here...............I always HOPE for the best. However, we had better not be PLANNING on him helping us because the contrary data and evidence on him are too strong imo. With the huge egg he laid last year (and only one good year in the previous 4) I would be skeptical going into this year BEFORE the injury, which aparently was a serious one.
    fortunately we are picking at the 12 spot this year and will be in a position to correct the mistake made with Beatty and we'll get a good player no matter who is available

I see a few guys here that are in favor of trading back for extra picks, doing that scares me because as a rule the further down you go the lower the talent, thats not always the rule but it is usually the norm . Now for a team like the Giants who seem to need a lot more talented players moving down maybe exactly the wrong way to go because we already have too many guys with that level of talent and isn't that the problem with the team the last few years

I still think Beatty can make the grade. I do think however, that this is a pivotal year for him.

So Beatty is going to be better this year because "for the money he's being paid, he has to." How did that logic work out last year?

I agree with your basic premise that finding a LT to just step in right away is highly unlikely. Still, Beatty set such a low bar last year a rookie upgrade there is not out of the question. Plus, who said the draft would necessarily be a one for one swap at LT? We could draft a RT and give Pugh a try at LT or see what some of the new FAs might be able to do. I just think that counting on Beatty for anything is lunacy and could kill another season for us.

We should view anything good we get from Beatty this year as found money.
    Agree. That's why the idea posited by some where Beatty moves to RT, Pugh to RG, and one of the 3-4 highly touted LTs (like Lewan or Martin) is picked at 12 is so appealing, imo. At least it could very well be a possibility being considered by the drafting crew for day one. Puts less pressure on Snee, as a rotational vet (very helpful to Pugh, I'd think). And, if the OT we pick is as good as it is hoped that a 12th overall pick should be, it is very likely the rookie OT would become a starter by mid season, if not sooner (like Petigout did for us in 99).

Benefit of moving Beatty to RT is pretty obvious, even though his current contract is based on LT scale, and it could alleviate a lot of concerns about him, I think.

Veteran
    So Beatty is going to be better this year because "for the money he's being paid, he has to." How did that logic work out last year?

I agree with your basic premise that finding a LT to just step in right away is highly unlikely. Still, Beatty set such a low bar last year a rookie upgrade there is not out of the question. Plus, who said the draft would necessarily be a one for one swap at LT? We could draft a RT and give Pugh a try at LT or see what some of the new FAs might be able to do. I just think that counting on Beatty for anything is lunacy and could kill another season for us.

We should view anything good we get from Beatty this year as found money.
    This goes back to my point about being dead set against moving Pugh around. Move him to Left tackle and you have a rookie at RT (if you want the 12th pick to start like I would and Beatty is relegated to the bench with that contract per your comments) and a guy who has 1 year of NFL experience at RT playing LT basically making him a rookie again. Same goes for Guard which plays to the assumption that Pugh could beat out Snee a 10 year veteran who is now healthy and grab the RG spot. So if he can't hack it at LT and can't beat Snee out for the Guard spot what are we going to do bench Pugh for a rookie RT if the rookie is playing well? Move the rookie to LT from RT in his rookie year? If the rookie can't handle LT after doing well at RT, bench the 12th pick in the draft because you don't want to bench Pugh because you want to keep Beatty and that massive contract on the bench? They'd be asking for big time trouble if they start moving Pugh around and draft another OT at 12 who may just be on the fringe of being decent and not a sure thing considering this draft and the spot they'll be picking at. Phew, I'm dizzy after typing all that lol.
    Last edited by repeatchamps; 05-02-2014 at 11:11 AM.
    Over 5500 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

Quote Originally Posted by Carter.525 View Post
    where's Beatty?
    Still stuck between Jared Allen and Eli, in the Beatty Sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by gmen46 View Post
    Agree. That's why the idea posited by some where Beatty moves to RT, Pugh to RG, and one of the 3-4 highly touted LTs (like Lewan or Martin) is picked at 12 is so appealing, imo. At least it could very well be a possibility being considered by the drafting crew for day one. Puts less pressure on Snee, as a rotational vet (very helpful to Pugh, I'd think). And, if the OT we pick is as good as it is hoped that a 12th overall pick should be, it is very likely the rookie OT would become a starter by mid season, if not sooner (like Petigout did for us in 99).

Benefit of moving Beatty to RT is pretty obvious, even though his current contract is based on LT scale, and it could alleviate a lot of concerns about him, I think.
    I would move Pugh to LT before guard. No reason to change his position in 2 ways when he was arguably the best tackle from the draft in his rookie year. I think he proved he can play on the outside, and it wouldn't be beneficial to move him inside.

Quote Originally Posted by keyofgmen View Post
    I still think Beatty can make the grade. I do think however, that this is a pivotal year for him.
    If Beatty doesn't improve this year, he shouldn't even start. He was that bad last year. Hopefully he improves but after recovering from his injury, it seems very unlikely because it limited his training...

Is anyone else fascinated by the fact we've been so poor at Left Tackle for so many years? David Diehl was a guard that did OK at best over there, Petitgout was always injured and more fit for RT, Beatty is looking like a bust, Guy Whimper was a bust, and everyone else I can recall since I was a kid was pretty poor at LT. It'd be pretty awesome to draft a legit LT like Lewin or Matthews. We haven't had a legit LT in a LOOOOOONG TIME

I really think training camp has to start before we can even judge Beatty. For all we know he will end up on the PUP list..
    - We put Birds on things.