+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Oline !

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by strahantuck1 View Post
    Is anyone else fascinated by the fact we've been so poor at Left Tackle for so many years? David Diehl was a guard that did OK at best over there, Petitgout was always injured and more fit for RT, Beatty is looking like a bust, Guy Whimper was a bust, and everyone else I can recall since I was a kid was pretty poor at LT. It'd be pretty awesome to draft a legit LT like Lewin or Matthews. We haven't had a legit LT in a LOOOOOONG TIME
    I don't disagree but it goes to back my point that after the first 2 or 3 OT's (at most) selected you do not get that type of quality and at 12 (Lewin and Matthews look to go early and the Giants appear concerned about Lewan's off-field issues so he may not be an option even if he is available) that quality will be lacking and selecting an OT at 12 with what will be left will be a huge stretch for a guy who may not even be able to beat out the guys already here as well as accounting for Coughlin's approach to the O-line in the past and we are left with a bench warmer out of the 12th pick which won't be cheap either.
    Last edited by repeatchamps; 05-02-2014 at 04:16 PM.
    Over 5500 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

as far as Lewan goes and his off field issues I think we need to rethink our thinking on not taking players with issues because in todays world its becoming all to common that more and more of these young guys have issues, I know the Giants have always tried to stand their ground with these types of guys but there comes a time when you have adjust your thinking, I 'll bet they wish they could have another chance at Vontez Burfict who a lot of teams wouldn't touch because of issues but turned out to be an outstanding player, teams have to adjust to the times and stop hoping to find choir boys and start looking for tough talented football players who help their teams win games

Quote Originally Posted by repeatchamps View Post
    I don't disagree but it goes to back my point that after the first 2 or 3 OT's (at most) selected you do not get that type of quality and at 12 (Lewin and Matthews look to go early and the Giants appear concerned about Lewan's off-field issues so he may not be an option even if he is available) that quality will be lacking and selecting an OT at 12 with what will be left will be a huge stretch for a guy who may not even be able to beat out the guys already here as well as accounting for Coughlin's approach to the O-line in the past and we are left with a bench warmer out of the 12th pick which won't be cheap either.
    I believe cost was more of an issue prior to the last agreement, Rookie contracts are no longer absurd like they used be; highly drafted players could be the highest paid at their position

Quote Originally Posted by repeatchamps View Post
    This goes back to my point about being dead set against moving Pugh around. Move him to Left tackle and you have a rookie at RT (if you want the 12th pick to start like I would and Beatty is relegated to the bench with that contract per your comments) and a guy who has 1 year of NFL experience at RT playing LT basically making him a rookie again. Same goes for Guard which plays to the assumption that Pugh could beat out Snee a 10 year veteran who is now healthy and grab the RG spot. So if he can't hack it at LT and can't beat Snee out for the Guard spot what are we going to do bench Pugh for a rookie RT if the rookie is playing well? Move the rookie to LT from RT in his rookie year? If the rookie can't handle LT after doing well at RT, bench the 12th pick in the draft because you don't want to bench Pugh because you want to keep Beatty and that massive contract on the bench? They'd be asking for big time trouble if they start moving Pugh around and draft another OT at 12 who may just be on the fringe of being decent and not a sure thing considering this draft and the spot they'll be picking at. Phew, I'm dizzy after typing all that lol.
    You make a lot of good points there. Did you do it all without taking a breathe?
    Sometimes I do it all on one breathe but I use the space bar to make it look like I am all calm and stuff.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    You make a lot of good points there. Did you do it all without taking a breathe?
    Sometimes I do it all on one breathe but I use the space bar to make it look like I am all calm and stuff.
    Lol. I took some breaths but edited it about a billion times too lol.
    Over 5500 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35