+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What We Might Learn From GM Jerry Reese's Pre-Draft Presser

What We Might Learn From GM Jerry Reese's Pre-Draft Presser

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs...2-f6e01f3a1f73

"Giants.com's Dan Salomone investigates what we might learn from GM Jerry Reese's predraft press conference

Jerry Reese is known for not tipping his hand in press conferences. It’s just good practice for NFL general managers.

Nevertheless, he will hold his annual pre-draft session with the media tomorrow afternoon at the Quest Diagnostics Training Center. And while you’ll be hard-pressed to hear him mention a prospect by name, Reese will field questions about the personnel department’s biggest day of the year as well as broader topics surrounding the team.

Giants.com looks ahead at those subjects and what fans may find out at Thursday’s pre-draft press conference, which will be streamed live on Giants.com beginning at 12:30 p.m. ET.

1. Addressing the offensive line. The tone was set the day after the Giants’ 2013 season ended when president and chief executive officer John Mara said, “I think our offense is broken right now and we need to fix that,” while pointing out that the offensive line was his biggest concern. The Giants began the process of correcting it when they waived/failed physical an ailing David Baas and signed offensive linemen Geoff Schwartz, J.D. Walton, John Jerry, and Charles Brown in free agency. Expect Reese to be asked about where the organization stands at that position as well as what he sees from the linemen coming out in the draft.

2. Complementing Cruz. In the wake of Hakeem Nicks’ departure in free agency, Victor Cruz recently said, when asked to play GM on an NFL Network segment, he would go wide receiver with the No. 12 pick to help fill that void. He’s not the GM, but Reese is. Let’s hear what he has to say on the receiving corps.

3. Quarterback moves. In the last month the Giants have announced procedures undergone by quarterbacks Eli Manning and Curtis Painter, while shoring up the position room with free-agent additions Josh Freeman and Rusty Smith. We’ll see what led to those decisions from the general manager’s viewpoint and how he envisions the competition behind Manning.

4. The effect of a new offense on draft day. While we won’t fully see Ben McAdoo’s system until Week 1, it will be interesting to hear Reese talk about working with a new offensive coordinator for the first time since 2007 in regards to the draft. Speaking back in February, McAdoo said the offense “depends on what type of personnel you feed it” and that the system is built around the roster, not the other way around. We’re getting closer to seeing the next crop.

5. Trading up or down. This year’s prospects have been heralded as one of the deepest groups in recent memory. First, we’ll get a sense if Reese sees it the same way. If he does, then what effect does it have on teams trading up, trading down, stockpiling picks, etc.? But in the end, something tells us that Reese will say the Giants evaluate everything in looking for the best player available. After all, it’s a rite of spring."
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

I know we'll get very little out of him but I am looking forward to it anyway maybe because it means the draft is that much closer.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    I know we'll get very little out of him but I am looking forward to it anyway maybe because it means the draft is that much closer.
    Lol Reese definitely has the say a lot of words but really say nothing at all thing mastered.

Quote Originally Posted by TooEasy2 View Post
    Lol Reese definitely has the say a lot of words but really say nothing at all thing mastered.
    What?

Quote Originally Posted by JB456 View Post
    What?
    He is going to talk a lot at the press conference but once it is over you will have no new information at all.

I hate it but I would do the same thing if I were up there before the draft. Why tip your hand? It is hard to figure out why they even schedule these things. If my GM got up and told the truth about our draft plans to the world, I would fire him. lol

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    I hate it but I would do the same thing if I were up there before the draft. Why tip your hand?
    I think I would have fun with it:

"Yes I am absolutely targeting Johnny Football in this draft, if we can't move up to get him Derek Carr is my guy at 12."

I think I would have fun with it:

"Yes I am absolutely targeting Johnny Football in this draft, if we can't move up to get him Derek Carr is my guy at 12."
    That would be funny and the league might fine him!

Shhhhhhhhhh.......it's top secret JR style........can't wait......
    1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007, 2011

We will learn that his lips could move and nothing could come out

+ Reply to Thread