+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toadofsteel final mock draft

Toadofsteel final mock draft

This is it before the actual draft for me

Round 1: Zack Martin, OG, Notre Dame

Martin has risen a bit in recent weeks. In fact, CBS ranks him as the #12 overall prospect now. He's currently listed as a G, but can play any position on the line really, and would be a better prospect to fit our scheme than Lewan or even Matthews, as he can play T if Beatty is not ready to go, and G once we have him back (As much as everyone in the world wants Pugh to move to G, I think it's a terrible idea). Martin's versatility along the OL also means he can be plugged in wherever there is an injury, and we don't have to completely change our OL configuration every time someone gets hurt, like we did last year.

Alternate: If Martin is somehow gone before #12, that means four OL have been taken and a guy like Barr or Evans will fall to us. If 4 OL, Barr (which means Clowney and Mack as well), Evans (+Watkins), that's 9 picks right there, meaning one of the QBs falls to us and we could potentially be in a position to trade down to a QB-needy team.

===

Round 2: Austin Sefarian-Jenkins, TE, Washington.

I've been fairly locked on to ASJ in my past couple of mocks. Not the greatest value that we could select in the 2nd, but a dependable TE who could start immediately, and can both block and receive. I would take him even if Jace Amaro was still on the board, as Amaro seems to be projected as a pure receiving TE.

Alternate: Troy Niklas, TE, Notre Dame

===

Round 3: William Sutton, DT, Arizona

Sutton is basically a poor-man's Donald. He's a bit undersized like Donald, is good at pass rushing from the DT position like Donald, and is compared to Geno Atkins like Donald. Unlike Donald, however, he wouldn't force us to blow a 1st round pick (and potentially trade up) on what is essentially a rotational DT.

Alternate: Caraun Reid, DT, Princeton

===

Round 4: Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas

I've mocked this guy to us before, and I think he'd be a decent fit to push for playing time at C. Good at making calls on the line and can pull, but not the most athletic freak of nature out on the field.

===

Round 5: Khairi Fortt, OLB, California

The former Penn State transfer has shown remarkable patience and discipline in allowing a play to develop and keeping his eye on the ball carrier, as well as doing well when asked to drop into coverage. Main issue right now is working on his tackling form.

Alternate: Kevin Pierre Louis, OLB, Boston College

===

Round 5-6: Ethan Westbrooks, DE, West Texas A&M

A bit of a raw prospect that relies on his athleticism more than technique to get to the QB, much like JPP did in 2011. Also would need to spend a year adding some muscle, but his frame should be able to handle that no problem.

===

Round 6: Marcel Jensen, TE, Fresno State

Essentially a big receiving TE, though he needs work on his blocking technique. Fairly athletic, but his stock fell dramatically because of a groin injury prior to the Senior bowl. Worth a flyer on the back of the 6th, especially given how thin we are at TE (What with the ONLY tight end on the roster being some guy I had never even heard of and is apparently a poor-man's Pascoe).
    Last edited by Toadofsteel; 05-04-2014 at 11:57 PM.

Thank you Reddit for the best gif ever.

I've been watching a few Arkansas games recently and Swanson is an animal. He was largely responsible for the success of that Razorback running attack of Alex Collins and Jonathan Williams. He's become somewhat of an afterthought among analysts lately. He could be a real steal later in the draft especially if the run on centers goes later than predicted.

Nice mock picks 1-4 are really nice! Especially if Ebron and Donald are off the board then I like this even more. Swanson in the 4th would be a steal! Fortt is solid but I wish I could see more of him to make a better analysis on him. Westbrooks is a good potential pick. He is on my sleeper team. I think he could become a nice player in the league if he develops well.

Jensen is a big guy who I think suffered this season because of the system but I think he could be a pretty decent TE.

Overall pretty dang solid man. Can't really complain with any of these picks. A lot of safe picks mixed in with high potential guys!

S/O to Flip Empty for the sig

Ebron would be a great receiver for whoever drafts him, but from what I know about Coughlin, he wants complete tight ends, not Jimmy Grahams. That's part of why Myers didn't last on this team. I'm still kinda baffled by picking up Myers to begin with. If McAdoo wants a receive-first-block-second TE, then by all means. But if Coughlin wants to run the ball a lot, Ebron is going to be less effective. And since we basically have no tight ends on the roster (a poor-man's Bear Pascoe and the Marvin Austin of Tight Ends is not something you should rely on), I think that whoever we draft, in rounds 1 or 2, needs to be someone that can do it all.

As for Donald, I think that any team taking a guy who is effectively a situational pass rusher before 15 is just reaching. And some team WILL reach for him, whether it's Oakland, Dallas trading up, or us. I just hope it's not us. Donald is still a first round talent, but not a top-15 pick. And both of us have mocked Sutton, who could capture 80-85% of Donald's ability without blowing our first round pick.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing us leaving Ebron and Donald on the board to take ZMartin at all... now Evans, on the other hand, if he falls to 12 you gotta take THAT...

Thank you Reddit for the best gif ever.

I like the Martin, ASJ, Swanson & Fortt picks..

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    Ebron would be a great receiver for whoever drafts him, but from what I know about Coughlin, he wants complete tight ends, not Jimmy Grahams. That's part of why Myers didn't last on this team. I'm still kinda baffled by picking up Myers to begin with. If McAdoo wants a receive-first-block-second TE, then by all means. But if Coughlin wants to run the ball a lot, Ebron is going to be less effective. And since we basically have no tight ends on the roster (a poor-man's Bear Pascoe and the Marvin Austin of Tight Ends is not something you should rely on), I think that whoever we draft, in rounds 1 or 2, needs to be someone that can do it all.

As for Donald, I think that any team taking a guy who is effectively a situational pass rusher before 15 is just reaching. And some team WILL reach for him, whether it's Oakland, Dallas trading up, or us. I just hope it's not us. Donald is still a first round talent, but not a top-15 pick. And both of us have mocked Sutton, who could capture 80-85% of Donald's ability without blowing our first round pick.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing us leaving Ebron and Donald on the board to take ZMartin at all... now Evans, on the other hand, if he falls to 12 you gotta take THAT...
    i agree with this 100% and its exactly how i feel about the situation. i keep projectiing Ebron to us because i believe McAdoo will be looking for that TE. If he's not and we're looking for a TE more like the ones we've had recently then i absolutely think we shouldnt draft Ebron then, i just honestly think thats what the offense will be going to, but i could be wrong.

Also, i love Swanson. He's my #2 center after Weston Richburg. i think Swanson could come in and win the C position in training camp

Great analysis

Very thoughtful analysis.

One thing for sure -- based on the impotence of our offensive line last year, picking a quality OL in the first round makes sense regardless of who else is on the board at 12 -- as it won't mean passing on a top 5 pick.

Nice mock. Good value throughout and takes care of alot of positons of need on the Giants.

Khari Fortt hits like a ton of bricks. He can play MLB and SLB, as hes fluid enough with his hips to turn and get downfield with TE's and WR's, albeit, hes not a stud in the pass game. A good pursuit LB.. Also fairly athletic player..
    Last edited by nycsportzfan; 05-04-2014 at 07:14 PM.

Thats a pretty physical group you mocked which I like...

+ Reply to Thread