+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Veteran

Re: Dwayne Allen, TE Clemson

[quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Shockeyitus"]

[quote user="Spizi"]Why not take him in the 1st? He has a legit shot at being one of those elite TE's. I would definitely give up a 1st round pick for Gronkowski wouldn't you?[/quote]

I know mock drafts are just some*shmucks opinion on what teams should draft. But, lets use them as a gage of how the NFL draft could play out. If you look at the projected late first round picks, would you be willing to pass on these guys?

Vontaz Burfict, ILB

Donta Hightower, ILB

Lamar Miller, RB

Michael Floyd, WR

Whitney Mercilus, DE

Giants should also be considered for 1 or 2 comp picks... Steve Smith, Barry Coefield, Kevin Boss

[/quote] Floyd is gonna be way gone and thats taking 90pct of mock drafts into consideration as all most everyone has him gonna in the 13-20range**** and Hightower dosen't fit our Defense at all as hes 260lb mlb** built for a 3/4 team*** and Burfict has stunk this whole past season and i just don't think hes the answer and he could be gone anyways or drop into round 2*** and i think Whitney is gonna fly up draft boards because hes a Flat out stud*** and there is a ton of depth at RB(david wilson/ chris polk/ bernard pierce/ lamichael james/ vick ballard/ ronnie hillman/ robert turbin etc) that u could wait on RB* if u wanted**** as theres way more solid* RB's then TE's in this draft..* If Whitney is on board** I'd certainly take em*** and u could make a case for miller** but outside of that* none of those other guys really do it for me or seem to fit our team[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. That's why I think Allen is the most logical choice.

[quote user="Spizi"]Why not take him in the 1st? He has a legit shot at being one of those elite TE's. I would definitely give up a 1st round pick for Gronkowski wouldn't you?[/quote] The way TE's are performing u kinda gotta think of em outside of the old way of looking at em which was u dont take TE's in RD 1 unless there just 2special to pass on.. There simply evolving into a ridiculously important positon and with another yr or 2 waiting to realize this u could end up having a tougher time getting a Dwayne Allen type talent at pick 26of rd 1 because teams will just be way to hip to the advantage of having a Jimmy Graham/ Jermichael Finley / Rob Gronkowski/ Jermaine Gresham/ Brandon Pettigrew/ Antonio Gates etc... Giants might be smart to get Allen while its still possible to get game changing TE's in the very late stages of RD 1

[quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Spizi"]Why not take him in the 1st? He has a legit shot at being one of those elite TE's. I would definitely give up a 1st round pick for Gronkowski wouldn't you?[/quote] The way TE's are performing u kinda gotta think of em outside of the old way of looking at em which was u dont take TE's in RD 1 unless there just 2special to pass on.. There simply evolving into a ridiculously important positon and with another yr or 2 waiting to realize this u could end up having a tougher time getting a Dwayne Allen type talent at pick 26of rd 1 because teams will just be way to hip to the advantage of having a Jimmy Graham/ Jermichael Finley / Rob Gronkowski/ Jermaine Gresham/ Brandon Pettigrew/ Antonio Gates etc... Giants might be smart to get Allen while its still possible to get game changing TE's in the very late stages of RD 1
    [/quote]

I understand your logic and I appreciate your ideas that the TE position was changing. With that said, I feel that depending on how the draft falls, there will be other options that Reese will look at in Round 1. If certain players are no longer on the board, the I feel Allen would be a definate option. I still like Eifert or Fleener in round 2.

"Hey, let me buy you a pack of gum. I'll show you how to chew it."

2014 Draft:
    Round 1 - Eric Ebron, TE - North Carolina
    Round 2 - David Yankey, OG - Stanford
    Round 3 - Allen Robinson, WR - Penn State
    Round 4 - Anthony Johnson, DT - LSU
    Round 5 - Rashaad Reynolds, CB - Oregon State
    Round 6 - Andrew Jackson, ILB - W. Kentucky
    Round 7 - ** Traded for Jon Beason **

Veteran

[quote user="Shockeyitus"]

[quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Spizi"]Why not take him in the 1st? He has a legit shot at being one of those elite TE's. I would definitely give up a 1st round pick for Gronkowski wouldn't you?[/quote]*** The way TE's are performing**** u kinda gotta think of em outside of the old way of looking at em* which was u dont take TE's in RD 1 unless there just 2special to pass on..** There simply evolving into a ridiculously important positon and with another yr or 2* waiting to realize this*** u could end up having a tougher time getting a Dwayne Allen type talent at pick 26of rd 1* because teams will just be way to hip to the advantage of having a Jimmy Graham/ Jermichael Finley / Rob Gronkowski/ Jermaine Gresham/ Brandon Pettigrew/ Antonio Gates etc...** Giants might be smart to get Allen while its still possible to get game changing TE's in the very late stages of RD 1
    [/quote]

I understand your logic and I appreciate your ideas that the TE position was changing. With that said, I feel that depending on how the draft falls, there will be other options that Reese will look at in Round 1. If certain players are no longer on the board, the I feel Allen would be a definate option. I still like Eifert or Fleener in round 2.

[/quote]

Who do you see though?? Right now we have the 29th pick, possibly the 32nd.

[quote user="Spizi"][quote user="Shockeyitus"]

[quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Spizi"]Why not take him in the 1st? He has a legit shot at being one of those elite TE's. I would definitely give up a 1st round pick for Gronkowski wouldn't you?[/quote] The way TE's are performing u kinda gotta think of em outside of the old way of looking at em which was u dont take TE's in RD 1 unless there just 2special to pass on.. There simply evolving into a ridiculously important positon and with another yr or 2 waiting to realize this u could end up having a tougher time getting a Dwayne Allen type talent at pick 26of rd 1 because teams will just be way to hip to the advantage of having a Jimmy Graham/ Jermichael Finley / Rob Gronkowski/ Jermaine Gresham/ Brandon Pettigrew/ Antonio Gates etc... Giants might be smart to get Allen while its still possible to get game changing TE's in the very late stages of RD 1
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Who do you see though?? Right now we have the 29th pick, possibly the 32nd.[/quote] I like Eiftert and Fleener as well but Allen is the best TE in this draft as far as complete TE all though those other 2 have ability to be the better pick down the line as u can always be wrong about prospects.. Is Eifert even declaring? Anyhow i agree if someone else is there and they pick em i'm totally Ok with that (allen's not the only player i like) I would also love Whitney mercilus if hes on board! These would be my TOP 5hopeful's trying to be as realistic as possible..

1. Whitney mercilus DE Illinois- I freakin love this kids motor and ability to strip the ball and get to the qb.. I'd be shocked if he didn't fly up draft boards! But as of now going on some mocks i've seen he could possibly be there.. This is Dream Scenario for me!

2. Dwayne Allen TE Clemson- explained throughout thread

3. Chase minnifield CB Virginia- I think this kids gonna be a stud and i like his ability to play the ball and length.. I think Casey Haywards just as good but it seems as of now Hayward is a reach at this point all though i woulden't be surprised if he does go higher once draft arrives..

4. Fletcher Cox DT miss st- This kid can flat out play! A playmaking DT who looks to be a all around DT who does everything well! I'm super high on this kid! I also like Devon Still a ton!

5. Janoris Jenkins CB No Ala- This kid put togheter big games against some super talented wr's when with florida and is not the speediest but can flat out stick with a guy and has solid technique and ball skills! Also could be special return guy at NFL level..

Hon mention= Peter Konz C Wisc and Devon Still DT Penn St

Veteran

[quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Spizi"][quote user="Shockeyitus"]

[quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Spizi"]Why not take him in the 1st? He has a legit shot at being one of those elite TE's. I would definitely give up a 1st round pick for Gronkowski wouldn't you?[/quote]*** The way TE's are performing**** u kinda gotta think of em outside of the old way of looking at em* which was u dont take TE's in RD 1 unless there just 2special to pass on..** There simply evolving into a ridiculously important positon and with another yr or 2* waiting to realize this*** u could end up having a tougher time getting a Dwayne Allen type talent at pick 26of rd 1* because teams will just be way to hip to the advantage of having a Jimmy Graham/ Jermichael Finley / Rob Gronkowski/ Jermaine Gresham/ Brandon Pettigrew/ Antonio Gates etc...** Giants might be smart to get Allen while its still possible to get game changing TE's in the very late stages of RD 1
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Who do you see though?? Right now we have the 29th pick, possibly the 32nd.[/quote] I like Eiftert and Fleener as well** but Allen is the best TE in this draft** as far as complete TE** all though those other 2 have ability to be the better pick down the line as u can always be wrong about prospects.. Is Eifert even declaring?**** Anyhow*** i agree if someone else is there** and they pick em** i'm* totally Ok with that (allen's not the only player i like)****** I would also love Whitney mercilus if hes on board!** These would be my TOP 5hopeful's*** trying to be as realistic as possible..

1. Whitney mercilus DE Illinois- I freakin love this kids motor and ability to strip the ball and get to the qb.. I'd be shocked if he didn't fly up draft boards!* But as of now* going on some mocks i've seen** he could possibly be there..* This is Dream Scenario for me!

2. Dwayne Allen TE Clemson- explained throughout thread

3. Chase minnifield CB Virginia- I think this kids gonna be a stud* and i like his ability to play the ball and length..** I think Casey Haywards just as good but it seems as of now** Hayward is a reach at this point* all though i woulden't be surprised if he does go higher once draft arrives..

4. Fletcher Cox DT miss st- This kid can flat out play!* A playmaking DT who looks to be* a all around DT who does everything well! I'm super high on this kid!* I also like Devon Still a ton!

5. Janoris Jenkins CB No Ala- This kid put togheter big games against some super talented wr's when with florida* and is not the speediest but can flat out stick with a guy and has solid technique and ball skills! Also could be special return guy at NFL level..

Hon mention= Peter Konz* C Wisc*** and Devon Still DT Penn St
    [/quote]

That would be sick to get value like that out of Mercilus but idk about ANOTHER de. I was thinking more like next year not so soon. It's never too soon with Jerry though.

The closer we get to picking at the end of the 1st round, I see our whole outlook on the draft changing...
    I think we may as well forget about a 1st round LB.....
    I see us leaning towards a TE like Allen,interior Line, or possibly DT....there won't be a Safety in the first.....I can't see us drafting a DE,CB,RB,or WR in the first....impact LBs like kuechly,brown,& burfict will be gone....don't see hightower as a fit.....
    Some were discussing Allen as a early-mid 2nd rounder....I see him sneaking into the late 1st, I wouldnt be upset with him,A center like Peter Konz, or a DT...

I'd still like to pick up a LB 2nd-3rd like lavonte David,Travis Lewis, or Danny trevathan...

Replace mckenzie through FA if possible...

Veteran

[quote user="myles2424"]The closer we get to picking at the end of the 1st round, I see our whole outlook on the draft changing...
    I think we may as well forget about a 1st round LB.....
    I see us leaning towards a TE like Allen,interior Line, or possibly DT....there won't be a Safety in the first.....I can't see us drafting a DE,CB,RB,or WR in the first....impact LBs like kuechly,brown,& burfict will be gone....don't see hightower as a fit.....
    Some were discussing Allen as a early-mid 2nd rounder....I see him sneaking into the late 1st, I wouldnt be upset with him,A center like Peter Konz, or a DT...

I'd still like to pick up a LB 2nd-3rd like lavonte David,Travis Lewis, or Danny trevathan...

Replace mckenzie through FA if possible...[/quote]

I think Brown will still be there tbh. With Manningham most likely gone imagine Alshon Jeffery?? That would be the best WR core in the NFL! Still I'd rather have Allen because athletic TEs cause mismatches in the middle that can be a 3rd down/redzone nightmare. No offense to Ballard because he's played well beyond his physical abilities, but no one fears him and he isn't really a dual mismatch. Dual mismatch= Size to beat safetys and speed to beat linebackers.

Gotta throw out Coby Fleener here too. Reminds me more of Gronk than Allen does.

Veteran

[quote user="slipknottin"]Gotta throw out Coby Fleener here too. Reminds me more of Gronk than Allen does.[/quote]

Fleener would be an acceptable late 2nd, but I'm not really sold on him in the 1st. It just doesn't look like he would scare anybody the way Gronk/Gates/Graham/Davis does. More like a more-athletic Boss to me.

(not that that's a bad thing. Fleener could be a good pairing with Ballard)

...does USF have a TE in the draft?

Edit: George Bryan (NC State) and David Paulson (Oregon) could both be mid-later round possibilities, or possibly even risers if they have solid combines/workouts.

Bryan in particular could jump. Everything I've seen about him says he's not only a solid blocker, but he's got hands like glue... The only real knock on him (apart from playing for NC State) is that he's slow. if he can turn in a respectable 40, he could be a steal.