+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Dwayne Allen, TE Clemson

George Bryan, David Paulson? There are better options in Round 2 or 3 than them.

Fleener, Eifert.... Orson Charles could be an interesting option in Round 3 or 4. Super athlete but not the typical size that we need.

"Hey, let me buy you a pack of gum. I'll show you how to chew it."

2014 Draft:
    Round 1 - Eric Ebron, TE - North Carolina
    Round 2 - David Yankey, OG - Stanford
    Round 3 - Allen Robinson, WR - Penn State
    Round 4 - Anthony Johnson, DT - LSU
    Round 5 - Rashaad Reynolds, CB - Oregon State
    Round 6 - Andrew Jackson, ILB - W. Kentucky
    Round 7 - ** Traded for Jon Beason **

Veteran

[quote user="Shockeyitus"]

George Bryan, David Paulson? There are better options in Round 2 or 3 than them.

Fleener, Eifert.... Orson Charles could be an interesting option in Round 3 or 4. Super athlete but not the typical size that we need.

[/quote]

I was thinking end of rounds 3-5, depending on combine numbers.

[quote user="slipknottin"]Gotta throw out Coby Fleener here too. Reminds me more of Gronk than Allen does.[/quote] Oh ya Fleener is certainly a nice looking TE.. Allen reminds me of Antonio Gates kindaTE and Fleener is in the mold of that Tall lean pass catching TE kinda like last yrs 2nd rounder Kyle Rudolph(who i really liked)

[quote user="Raptor22"][quote user="slipknottin"]Gotta throw out Coby Fleener here too. Reminds me more of Gronk than Allen does.[/quote]

Fleener would be an acceptable late 2nd, but I'm not really sold on him in the 1st. It just doesn't look like he would scare anybody the way Gronk/Gates/Graham/Davis does. More like a more-athletic Boss to me.

(not that that's a bad thing. Fleener could be a good pairing with Ballard)

...does USF have a TE in the draft?

Edit: George Bryan (NC State) and David Paulson (Oregon) could both be mid-later round possibilities, or possibly even risers if they have solid combines/workouts.

Bryan in particular could jump. Everything I've seen about him says he's not only a solid blocker, but he's got hands like glue... The only real knock on him (apart from playing for NC State) is that he's slow. if he can turn in a respectable 40, he could be a steal.
    [/quote] Ya George Bryan's stock dropped because of this past season but that had more to do with the loss of Russell Wilson who had a good repoire with Bryan .. THe new State QB(glennon) didn't really gel with Bryan all that well it seemed. If u get George Bryan in RD 4 or 5 you got yourself a steal.. I think he'll do wonders with a good throwing QB like Eli.. I like that Temple kid Evan Rodriguez and i'd take a gamble on Brian Linthicum outta michigan st as well in the mid to late rounds if we wait on picking a TE

[quote user="Spizi"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Spizi"][quote user="Shockeyitus"]

[quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Spizi"]Why not take him in the 1st? He has a legit shot at being one of those elite TE's. I would definitely give up a 1st round pick for Gronkowski wouldn't you?[/quote] The way TE's are performing u kinda gotta think of em outside of the old way of looking at em which was u dont take TE's in RD 1 unless there just 2special to pass on.. There simply evolving into a ridiculously important positon and with another yr or 2 waiting to realize this u could end up having a tougher time getting a Dwayne Allen type talent at pick 26of rd 1 because teams will just be way to hip to the advantage of having a Jimmy Graham/ Jermichael Finley / Rob Gronkowski/ Jermaine Gresham/ Brandon Pettigrew/ Antonio Gates etc... Giants might be smart to get Allen while its still possible to get game changing TE's in the very late stages of RD 1
    [/quote]

I understand your logic and I appreciate your ideas that the TE position was changing. With that said, I feel that depending on how the draft falls, there will be other options that Reese will look at in Round 1. If certain players are no longer on the board, the I feel Allen would be a definate option. I still like Eifert or Fleener in round 2.

[/quote]

Who do you see though?? Right now we have the 29th pick, possibly the 32nd.[/quote] I like Eiftert and Fleener as well but Allen is the best TE in this draft as far as complete TE all though those other 2 have ability to be the better pick down the line as u can always be wrong about prospects.. Is Eifert even declaring? Anyhow i agree if someone else is there and they pick em i'm totally Ok with that (allen's not the only player i like) I would also love Whitney mercilus if hes on board! These would be my TOP 5hopeful's trying to be as realistic as possible..

1. Whitney mercilus DE Illinois- I freakin love this kids motor and ability to strip the ball and get to the qb.. I'd be shocked if he didn't fly up draft boards! But as of now going on some mocks i've seen he could possibly be there.. This is Dream Scenario for me!

2. Dwayne Allen TE Clemson- explained throughout thread

3. Chase minnifield CB Virginia- I think this kids gonna be a stud and i like his ability to play the ball and length.. I think Casey Haywards just as good but it seems as of now Hayward is a reach at this point all though i woulden't be surprised if he does go higher once draft arrives..

4. Fletcher Cox DT miss st- This kid can flat out play! A playmaking DT who looks to be a all around DT who does everything well! I'm super high on this kid! I also like Devon Still a ton!

5. Janoris Jenkins CB No Ala- This kid put togheter big games against some super talented wr's when with florida and is not the speediest but can flat out stick with a guy and has solid technique and ball skills! Also could be special return guy at NFL level..

Hon mention= Peter Konz C Wisc and Devon Still DT Penn St
    [/quote]

That would be sick to get value like that out of Mercilus but idk about ANOTHER de. I was thinking more like next year not so soon. It's never too soon with Jerry though.[/quote] Whitney mercilus would be the exception pick for going DE in rd 1.. Hes outstanding and i think hes gonna be one of the bigger impact defensive players to come outta this draft.. Also one yr to the next u can see what seems like a strength become a weakness.. U gotta keep stocking what your team uses as a identity and for us its Defensive Line

[quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Spizi"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Spizi"][quote user="Shockeyitus"]

[quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Spizi"]Why not take him in the 1st? He has a legit shot at being one of those elite TE's. I would definitely give up a 1st round pick for Gronkowski wouldn't you?[/quote] The way TE's are performing u kinda gotta think of em outside of the old way of looking at em which was u dont take TE's in RD 1 unless there just 2special to pass on.. There simply evolving into a ridiculously important positon and with another yr or 2 waiting to realize this u could end up having a tougher time getting a Dwayne Allen type talent at pick 26of rd 1 because teams will just be way to hip to the advantage of having a Jimmy Graham/ Jermichael Finley / Rob Gronkowski/ Jermaine Gresham/ Brandon Pettigrew/ Antonio Gates etc... Giants might be smart to get Allen while its still possible to get game changing TE's in the very late stages of RD 1
    [/quote]

I understand your logic and I appreciate your ideas that the TE position was changing. With that said, I feel that depending on how the draft falls, there will be other options that Reese will look at in Round 1. If certain players are no longer on the board, the I feel Allen would be a definate option. I still like Eifert or Fleener in round 2.

[/quote]

Who do you see though?? Right now we have the 29th pick, possibly the 32nd.[/quote] I like Eiftert and Fleener as well but Allen is the best TE in this draft as far as complete TE all though those other 2 have ability to be the better pick down the line as u can always be wrong about prospects.. Is Eifert even declaring? Anyhow i agree if someone else is there and they pick em i'm totally Ok with that (allen's not the only player i like) I would also love Whitney mercilus if hes on board! These would be my TOP 5hopeful's trying to be as realistic as possible..

1. Whitney mercilus DE Illinois- I freakin love this kids motor and ability to strip the ball and get to the qb.. I'd be shocked if he didn't fly up draft boards! But as of now going on some mocks i've seen he could possibly be there.. This is Dream Scenario for me!

3. Chase minnifield CB Virginia- I think this kids gonna be a stud and i like his ability to play the ball and length.. I think Casey Haywards just as good but it seems as of now Hayward is a reach at this point all though i woulden't be surprised if he does go higher once draft arrives..

4. Fletcher Cox DT miss st- This kid can flat out play! A playmaking DT who looks to be a all around DT who does everything well! I'm super high on this kid! I also like Devon Still a ton!

5. Janoris Jenkins CB No Ala- This kid put togheter big games against some super talented wr's when with florida and is not the speediest but can flat out stick with a guy and has solid technique and ball skills! Also could be special return guy at NFL level..

[/quote]

That would be sick to get value like that out of Mercilus but idk about ANOTHER de. I was thinking more like next year not so soon. It's never too soon with Jerry though.[/quote] Whitney mercilus would be the exception pick for going DE in rd 1.. Hes outstanding and i think hes gonna be one of the bigger impact defensive players to come outta this draft.. Also one yr to the next u can see what seems like a strength become a weakness.. U gotta keep stocking what your team uses as a identity and for us its Defensive Line
    [/quote]

Now that I think we will hang on to Osi for another year, I am not sure we would go DE in the first round. If we did take Mercilus, I would not be upset but I think MLB, TE, or a RT/G would be our pick.

Veteran

[quote user="tdawg1413"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Spizi"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Spizi"][quote user="Shockeyitus"]

[quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Spizi"]Why not take him in the 1st? He has a legit shot at being one of those elite TE's. I would definitely give up a 1st round pick for Gronkowski wouldn't you?[/quote]*** The way TE's are performing**** u kinda gotta think of em outside of the old way of looking at em* which was u dont take TE's in RD 1 unless there just 2special to pass on..** There simply evolving into a ridiculously important positon and with another yr or 2* waiting to realize this*** u could end up having a tougher time getting a Dwayne Allen type talent at pick 26of rd 1* because teams will just be way to hip to the advantage of having a Jimmy Graham/ Jermichael Finley / Rob Gronkowski/ Jermaine Gresham/ Brandon Pettigrew/ Antonio Gates etc...** Giants might be smart to get Allen while its still possible to get game changing TE's in the very late stages of RD 1
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Who do you see though?? Right now we have the 29th pick, possibly the 32nd.[/quote] I like Eiftert and Fleener as well** but Allen is the best TE in this draft** as far as complete TE** all though those other 2 have ability to be the better pick down the line as u can always be wrong about prospects.. Is Eifert even declaring?**** Anyhow*** i agree if someone else is there** and they pick em** i'm* totally Ok with that (allen's not the only player i like)****** I would also love Whitney mercilus if hes on board!** These would be my TOP 5hopeful's*** trying to be as realistic as possible..

1. Whitney mercilus DE Illinois- I freakin love this kids motor and ability to strip the ball and get to the qb.. I'd be shocked if he didn't fly up draft boards!* But as of now* going on some mocks i've seen** he could possibly be there..* This is Dream Scenario for me!

3. Chase minnifield CB Virginia- I think this kids gonna be a stud* and i like his ability to play the ball and length..** I think Casey Haywards just as good but it seems as of now** Hayward is a reach at this point* all though i woulden't be surprised if he does go higher once draft arrives..

4. Fletcher Cox DT miss st- This kid can flat out play!* A playmaking DT who looks to be* a all around DT who does everything well! I'm super high on this kid!* I also like Devon Still a ton!

5. Janoris Jenkins CB No Ala- This kid put togheter big games against some super talented wr's when with florida* and is not the speediest but can flat out stick with a guy and has solid technique and ball skills! Also could be special return guy at NFL level..

Hon mention= Peter Konz* C Wisc*** and Devon Still DT Penn St
    [/quote]

That would be sick to get value like that out of Mercilus but idk about ANOTHER de. I was thinking more like next year not so soon. It's never too soon with Jerry though.[/quote] Whitney mercilus would be the exception pick for going DE in rd 1..* Hes outstanding and i think hes gonna be one of the* bigger impact defensive players to come outta this draft..* Also* one yr to the next u can see what seems like a strength become a weakness..* U gotta keep stocking what your team* uses as a identity* and for us* its* Defensive Line
    [/quote]

Now that I think we will hang on to Osi for another year, I am not sure we would go DE in the first round. If we did take Mercilus, I would not be upset but I think MLB, TE, or a RT/G would be our pick.
    [/quote]

See that's the way we the fans think. But as a GM you can't think like that. I think that we can wait until the 2013 draft to get a DE because of Osi being gone, and Tuck getting older and in a contract year but what if there isn't one then?? That's why Mercilus honestly might make sense.

[quote user="Spizi"]At this point in the draft process my guy is Dwayne Allen. To me he seems like a guy who we have a realistic shot at getting, and he makes a lot of sense for the Giants. Did you see what Gronkowski just did tonight?!?! or as a matter of fact what he has done all year?!?!

We need a legit pass catching TE and Allen is our answer. He is also a solid run blocker. This means he would not only take our passing game to the next level, but he would also help out our running game.

Look at the Elite offenses this year NE (Gronk) NO (Graham) GB (Finely) Philly (Celek) SD (Gates) DET (Pettigrew) hello great TE's in all of them. Allen would take our offense to that top tier.

Thoughts?[/quote]

When I was perusing the mock drafts (especially after we beat the Packers) I was thinking of this guy too.

Unless they decide to go corner (and the guys available at the end of the first are all small with speed question marks) I could see Dwayen Allen being a REALLY sexy pick.

Unfortunately we also have need at OT, LB, CB and possibly DE (depending what happens with Osi next year).

We'll also need to be looking at RB heavily.

But I really like Dwayne Allen in the first and no way he's available at the end of the second round.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

[quote user="tdawg1413"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Spizi"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Spizi"][quote user="Shockeyitus"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote] Ya but u gotta remember just a bit ago Osi was missing games with yet another injury and if anything u should be smart and realize the guys value isn't gonna go up better then it is right now thanks to this playoff run and u gotta think outside of what hes doing now and think about his entire career and how he is yet another yr older and playing for his next and probably last contract and the fact hes oft injured and what not.. I see this little run by OSI as a great opp for us to actually get something for him as a few weeks ago we'd of been lucky to get a 4th rounder for him

Dwayne Allen is hyped and over rated, his blocking is ok, but just look at his draft analysis on youtube, he has ALOT of drops, actually kinda reminds me of Ballard has some similarities. Please don't waste a first on Allen when Paulson, Coby Fleener, Nick Provo, Orson Charles(needs improvement blocking) are all coming into this draft. Tyler Eiffert woulda been perfect shockey reincarnate with less attitude but don't think he's entering the draft?