+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1

    Giants Rd 1 Pick 2015...DE from Mich State

    We have talented DEs on the roster but they don't have a consistent track record. We need to find the heir apparent to Strahan, Osi, and Tuck to carry the torch of Big Blue pass rushing Defensive Ends. JPP may yet still pan out, but grabbing a DE will cause competition, bolster our defense, jolt our pass rush, etc

    On a side note, In 2015 well probably need the following: will still need a TE. OL help-getting another mauler to pair with Richburg and Pugh will solidify our future and o-line. A playmaking Safety. A scatback type RB with pass catching ability. Defensive end, because we're the NY football Giants. And again, a young linebacker with speed.

    The 2015 DE class is pretty loaded and with prototypical ends, not the plethora of hybrids and tweeters we've seen in recent years. The Giants like big bodied and multidimensional ends who play both the rush and pass with equal aplomb. So even though I think we'll be picking low this year, we will have a chance at one of the several projectsed round 1 DEs. And while I'm always for BPA, if he's there, NJ native Michigan State (we like Spartans) defensive end Shlique Calhoun should be our pick. He's got all the measureables and heck, he sounds like a Giant. He needs to fill out more and needs to develop a bull rush, but he has a lot of potential,

    Then hopefully we can hit 50+ sacks again as a defensive unit. While this is an offensive game, and your secondary needs to be stocked, in the immortal words of Ernie Accorsi, you can never have enough pass rushers.
    Last edited by flimflam; 08-29-2014 at 08:59 AM.

  2. #2
    Giants need a hybrid. Maybe even two. The defense they want to run calls for it.
    Last edited by penguinfarmer; 08-29-2014 at 09:27 AM.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by flimflam View Post
    We have talented DEs on the roster but they don't have a consistent track record. We need to find the heir apparent to Strahan, Osi, and Tuck to carry the torch of Big Blue pass rushing Defensive Ends. JPP may yet still pan out, but grabbing a DE will cause competition, bolster our defense, jolt our pass rush, etc

    On a side note, In 2015 well probably need the following: will still need a TE. OL help-getting another mauler to pair with Richburg and Pugh will solidify our future and o-line. A playmaking Safety. A scatback type RB with pass catching ability. Defensive end, because we're the NY football Giants. And again, a young linebacker with speed.

    The 2015 DE class is pretty loaded and with prototypical ends, not the plethora of hybrids and tweeters we've seen in recent years. The Giants like big bodied and multidimensional ends who play both the rush and pass with equal aplomb. So even though I think we'll be picking low this year, we will have a chance at one of the several projectsed round 1 DEs. And while I'm always for BPA, if he's there, NJ native Michigan State (we like Spartans) defensive end Shlique Calhoun should be our pick. He's got all the measureables and heck, he sounds like a Giant. He needs to fill out more and needs to develop a bull rush, but he has a lot of potential,

    Then hopefully we can hit 50+ sacks again as a defensive unit. While this is an offensive game, and your secondary needs to be stocked, in the immortal words of Ernie Accorsi, you can never have enough pass rushers.
    The Giants in my opinion have DE talent the problem I see is the lack of pure edge rushing talent and Calhaun really isnt that. I dont see Calhaun as much better of a prospect than Moore

  4. #4
    All-Pro TheAnalyst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Original Member since 04-04-04
    Posts
    8,283
    Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    The Giants in my opinion have DE talent the problem I see is the lack of pure edge rushing talent and Calhaun really isnt that. I dont see Calhaun as much better of a prospect than Moore
    I think Moore takes the next step this year though. I really like Nebraska's Gregory though, but he is probably a top 5 pick.
    "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    I think Moore takes the next step this year though. I really like Nebraska's Gregory though, but he is probably a top 5 pick.
    Gregory is quick twitch and long. He looks like a pass rusher.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    The Giants in my opinion have DE talent the problem I see is the lack of pure edge rushing talent and Calhaun really isnt that. I dont see Calhaun as much better of a prospect than Moore
    He can bend and get around the edge. He contains well too. He's go the prototypical 6-4+/260+ classic DE frame, and can fill out more. If he gains strength and develops power pass rush moves, he'l have the chance to be complete DE. We definitely wont, hopefully, be able to get Leonard Williams even though that would rock but its probably means our record sucked.

    I don't think any of the hybrid OLB/DE types who are 6-2 and 230 types can play well in our 4-3. Bruce Irvin plays that way situationally for Seattle though. I hope JPP continues to grow and becomes a star for us.

    If JPP continues his rise and D.Moore reaches his potential and becomes a double-digit sack artist, we'll still be thin at DE. Ayers is solid, and Kiwi is a trooper but theyre not part of our extended future. At any rate we can probably get a talented DE next year. If not a pass rushing capable OLB would be nice since its a missing element from our D, or a top safety to solidify the secondary. Safeties are as important than ever and would love Landoo n Collins from 'Bama to finally have a legendary safety that Shaun Williams and Kenny Phillips were supposed to be. Chad Jones couldve been save for his terrible accident.

    But at draft time next year, we're going to have the always present and vocal "DRAFT AN O-LINEMAIN ROUND 1" adherents.

  7. #7
    The multiple front of Seattle is what they're mimicking. I've already seen a lot of over in the preseason. Chris Clemons was the leo/elephant in Seattle. He's 6'3'' 250. O'Brien Schofiled whom they tried to sign alternates at the position as well as the Sam. He's 6'3'' 242lbs. They've actually shifted Irvin away from that position since he had some struggle rushing the passer.

    Even if they run a traditional 4 man front, they still don't have that speed situational rusher a la Osi.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinfarmer View Post
    The multiple front of Seattle is what they're mimicking. I've already seen a lot of over in the preseason. Chris Clemons was the leo/elephant in Seattle. He's 6'3'' 250. O'Brien Schofiled whom they tried to sign alternates at the position as well as the Sam. He's 6'3'' 242lbs. They've actually shifted Irvin away from that position since he had some struggle rushing the passer.

    Even if they run a traditional 4 man front, they still don't have that speed situational rusher a la Osi.
    They started the transition last year, they went hard after the pieces in the secondary this offseason.
    U can see what they are trying to do,Kennard played multiple positions at USC including the Elephant , I think he was brought in more to be that 2nd guy along with Schofield was their ideal offseason plan. The reason why the Giants havent altered their Defense completely is that they dont quite have all the pieces yet. I think in 2015 they will Draft the hybrid player like Dante Fowler or Noah Spence and the alterations will be complete. The monkey wrench is we may need to draft a QB or a LT next year

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    They started the transition last year, they went hard after the pieces in the secondary this offseason.
    U can see what they are trying to do,Kennard played multiple positions at USC including the Elephant , I think he was brought in more to be that 2nd guy along with Schofield was their ideal offseason plan. The reason why the Giants havent altered their Defense completely is that they dont quite have all the pieces yet. I think in 2015 they will Draft the hybrid player like Dante Fowler or Noah Spence and the alterations will be complete. The monkey wrench is we may need to draft a QB or a LT next year
    Could Vic Beasley fit in a role like that on our team? He's kinda in the mold of Bruce Irvin IMHO

  10. #10
    All-Pro nycsportzfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pittsfield, MA
    Posts
    31,485
    Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    They started the transition last year, they went hard after the pieces in the secondary this offseason.
    U can see what they are trying to do,Kennard played multiple positions at USC including the Elephant , I think he was brought in more to be that 2nd guy along with Schofield was their ideal offseason plan. The reason why the Giants havent altered their Defense completely is that they dont quite have all the pieces yet. I think in 2015 they will Draft the hybrid player like Dante Fowler or Noah Spence and the alterations will be complete. The monkey wrench is we may need to draft a QB or a LT next year
    I was saying, the Giants have built a nice little Defensive line nucleus and I put Kennard in that group as well, as I t hink hes gonna be moved all around and be used to rush the passer as well as be out there at LB on some run downs.. They now have Damontre Moore, Jay Bromley, Jonathan Hankins, Devon Kennard, Jason Pierre Paul as the newest young nucleus on the Dline and adding a early rd pick to kinda complete that group makes a ton of sense. I would be estatic if we added Dante Fowler. The hits we'd see from a group that includes Kennard, Moore, and Fowler would be awesome.

    Obviously unless Nassib does terribly this season, if he plays, I would think hes gonna get 1st crack at Eli's job if it comes to that, so we may be able to avoid drafting a QB real early in 2015. All though going in RD2 or 3 with a QB to bring in serious comp for Nassib makes sense as well. Do you think having Langsdorf will put the giants in the hunt for our guy, Sean Mannion? I don't think Mannion is nessecarily a great fit for McAdoos WC variation offense though. Mannion would of been sick in Gilbrides big bomb offense.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts