+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 86
  1. #31
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Lakenheath AFB England
    Posts
    3,757
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinfarmer View Post
    I think it's possible they had Beckham higher. There are more successful WRs with his height than there are NFL DTs with Donald's. They may have been turned off by that. Sounds like they had several players after Beckham, but before Donald.
    there was a lot more talent in this draft for WR than their was for DT, Donald was worlds apart, where Beckham was the 3rd best receiver.

    Retweeted by Rueben Randle
    @Katdaddyjay 17h
    @RuebenRandle @OBJ_3 @Giants
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ps625a51fb.jpg

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by rainierjef View Post
    there was a lot more talent in this draft for WR than their was for DT, Donald was worlds apart, where Beckham was the 3rd best receiver.
    At 12, I don't think their peer prospects matter. You can't script your draft starting with your top 15 pick. You take the best player on your board. And position rankings can be irrelevant. Sometimes the third rated player at position A can still be more of an impact than the first rated player at position B simply due to the nature of the position.

  3. #33
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Lakenheath AFB England
    Posts
    3,757
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinfarmer View Post
    At 12, I don't think their peer prospects matter. You can't script your draft starting with your top 15 pick. You take the best player on your board. And position rankings can be irrelevant. Sometimes the third rated player at position A can still be more of an impact than the first rated player at position B simply due to the nature of the position.
    There is no exact science to this as we are both assuming, Donald was the #1 DT / Beckham was the #3 rated WR this much we know by the information provided to us. This is the deepest at WR a draft has ever been in a long time, we just lost out premier DT to the vikings, Donald based on the infer we have available to us was the BPA/need combo at 12, there might be something to him that the giants know about that made them look elsewhere, but it could not possibly have been due to the fact that they thought the answer was in-house, because they drafted Bromley and brought in 2-3 DT's in UDFA. I wonder what scared them away from Donald.

    Retweeted by Rueben Randle
    @Katdaddyjay 17h
    @RuebenRandle @OBJ_3 @Giants
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ps625a51fb.jpg

  4. #34
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,909
    Quote Originally Posted by rainierjef View Post
    There is no exact science to this as we are both assuming, Donald was the #1 DT / Beckham was the #3 rated WR this much we know by the information provided to us. This is the deepest at WR a draft has ever been in a long time, we just lost out premier DT to the vikings, Donald based on the infer we have available to us was the BPA/need combo at 12, there might be something to him that the giants know about that made them look elsewhere, but it could not possibly have been due to the fact that they thought the answer was in-house, because they drafted Bromley and brought in 2-3 DT's in UDFA. I wonder what scared them away from Donald.
    Or, maybe they thought Beckham was a better prospect than Donald? I mean that can't be too difficult to believe.Also, the media had Beckham as the third best WR but many scouts including Greg Cossell from NFL films had Beckham as the second best receiver in this draft.

    They were both great prospects but the Giants went with the guy who they had higher on their board and someone who adds a dynamic ability to this offence.

  5. #35
    All-Pro TCHOF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    7,032
    Quote Originally Posted by rainierjef View Post
    there was a lot more talent in this draft for WR than their was for DT, Donald was worlds apart, where Beckham was the 3rd best receiver.
    Big gap between the 3rd and 4th WR's too though . . . .

  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by rainierjef View Post
    Donald was the #1 DT / Beckham was the #3 rated WR this much we know by the information provided to us.
    We don't know how the Giants rated Donald. All we know is that they wanted Beckham more than Donald. We also only know that 1 team for sure had Donald as the #1 DT, not that position rankings mean anything. Should we have taken Richburg at #12 instead of ODB? I mean clearly Richburg was the #1 Center in the draft.
    Earth - Wind - Fire 2.0
    Jennings - Wilson - Williams

    LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (75) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (28.5) -> ???

    The statements in this post reflect the opinions of the poster and don't not reflect the opinion of the the New York Giants, the State of New York or any New York Giants Personnel. These are only opinions and unless specifically called "facts" they should be treated as the opinions of the poster.

  7. #37
    I disagree with the notion that the Giants had ODB at #3 WR. Hopefully, they learned from the recent past in this area and had the scouting department hold a wide receivers ability to go out and grab a football as it's primary skill it's looking for.

    We had already drafted I believe once before that way with Nicks. Wasn't the fastest, or the smartest, but had wonderful hands and could catch anything.He gave us some great plays while healthy and motivated. Where we failed in that draft was Reese grabbed Barden too. The problem with Barden was he only flashed that skill - he was more just tall. It wasn't a shock to me that he's washed out over the years.

    The surprise to the organization was Cruz. Undersized, but he could just plain ball hawk - we all saw that in that Jets game - and run. And he was an UDFA.

    Lessons to be learned here?

    1. We didn't need to draft guys for the slot.
    2. We needed to find guys that could catch the ball.

    We ignored that - braking both lessons - drafting JJ in the 3rd. Great athlete, not so much of a ball hawk.

    Randle, at least conceptually as an outside reciever, showed a great deal of that same hawking ability - so we took him in the 2nd. I get this pick, and Randle's fate is yet uncertain.

    So that lead to the 2014 drafting where we tried to get our mind right. So we went out and grabbed ODB. I think the giants would have had the ball hawk skill set over Evans height or even Watkins speed. It's possible the Gmen had ODB as the #1 WR.

    Compare an every down, ball hawking outside WR with the entire package of maturity, speed, athleticism, and route running (ie intelligence) to an undersized DT that may only be used on 3rd down because he'll get washed out against the run - it's a no brainer. So good call by the Gmen on that, ihmo.

  8. #38
    The two guys ahead of Beckham had great hands too. Evans in particular came away with more contested catches than I can remember. Beckham has the higher drop rate among the three.

    Manningham wasn't a natural hands catcher either. Randle was far from a ballhawk. That was his biggest issue. At 6'3'', he didn't fully extend for the ball as you would have liked. Jernigan was more of a hand plucker than Randle even at his diminutive size.

  9. #39
    Veteran gurujot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    2,314
    Quote Originally Posted by Generation Eli View Post
    wait 3 years. If our 3rd rounder is still on the team, I'll buy you a brand new shiney galaxy s whatever or iphone whatever that year

    cool?

    basically what Im saying is, he sucks and he'll start to show sings of that this year. Cant wait!
    So this post earned me a new phone

  10. #40
    Veteran gurujot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    2,314
    Quote Originally Posted by rainierjef View Post
    There is no exact science to this as we are both assuming, Donald was the #1 DT / Beckham was the #3 rated WR this much we know by the information provided to us. This is the deepest at WR a draft has ever been in a long time, we just lost out premier DT to the vikings, Donald based on the infer we have available to us was the BPA/need combo at 12, there might be something to him that the giants know about that made them look elsewhere, but it could not possibly have been due to the fact that they thought the answer was in-house, because they drafted Bromley and brought in 2-3 DT's in UDFA. I wonder what scared them away from Donald.
    Beckahm wasnt the consensus #3 receiver, he has superior route running and leaps higher than Mike Evans some pundits had him as the highest in draft as well as many that had him at 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts