+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Yea. He's about as explosive as Jake Ballard. Which says something because Ballard is the opposite of explosive.
    He looks like he should be explosive though right? I always liked his tape though. I dont think he is an elite level talent but I didnt see a huge gap between him and C.J. Fiedorowicz. He could easily flameout before camp starts but I gave a draftable grade to Ballard and he looked like an NFL player before he got hurt
    Last edited by Redeyejedi; 05-20-2014 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Yea. He's about as explosive as Jake Ballard. Which says something because Ballard is the opposite of explosive.
    Yet he was a key part in our superbowl run. Him and Pascoe. ITs the kind of TE we love. McAdoo did not change that.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the mouth."

CBS ranked him as the 293rd prospect, 17th best TE in 2014, a 7th-UDFA pick.

STRENGTHS: Grimble looks like a power forward on the field, possessing broad shoulders and a well-built frame. While he isn't exactly light-footed, he has deceptive speed down the seam due to his long strides and is an imposing runner after the catch who can bull his way through would-be tacklers.

He can extend to make the tough catch and is a solid run blocker who keeps his shoulders square and has long, strong arms to lock out his opponent. Good vision and hand-eye coordination to track the ball over his shoulder. Uses his frame well to buy space and can make the contested catch with defenders draped over him. Coming off a poor season and could slip in the draft to the point where he's a steal. Draft stock took a hit from being considered a mid-round prospect entering his junior season.

WEAKNESSES: Isn't an elite athlete. Lumbers off the snap, showing little burst, quickness or straight-line speed to generate separation from defenders. Possesses just adequate balance and can be knocked to the ground by smaller defenders who take out one of his legs. Missed much of the 2013 spring practices with a chest fracture, as well as parts of several games last season with a shoulder injury.

COMPARES TO: Kellen Davis, Seattle Seahawks - Like the well-built (and well-traveled) Davis, Grimble looks better walking off the bus than he does on tape. He possesses good enough hands and overall athleticism to serve as a short to intermediate threat, especially in the red zone (11 career touchdowns) and has the frame and strength scouts are looking for as a run blocker. He can play the role of a traditional security blanket tight end but a new-age hybrid seam threat, he is not.

Player OverviewWhile star wideout Marqise Lee's struggles with durability in 2013 played a well-documented role in the Trojans' inconsistencies early in the season, nagging injuries to Grimble, another talented pass catcher, also had a big impact.

Grimble earned honorable mention All-Pac-12 honors in 2012, catching a career-high 29 passes for 316 yards and five scores to earn recognition in a conference boasting some of the elite tight ends in the country. Rather than build upon his breakout campaign, however, Grimble struggled in 2013, catching just 25 passes for 271 yards and watching his touchdowns plummet to just two on the season.

The lack of ideal production led Grimble to announce as late as Dec. 10 that "it probably would be best for me to return to school." Instead, he surprised the Trojans and scouts by announcing that he was giving up his final year of eligibility to head to the NFL a year early.

Grimble isn't an elite athlete but he does possess the frame as well as the strength and experience in a pro-style offense scouts are looking for. He isn't an elite receiver but has functional hands and is bullish after the catch.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...xavier-grimble

Slow a foot and lack of production last year had him riding the pines during the Draft. There is certainly potential there, potential practice squad guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    He looks like he should be explosive though right? I always liked his tape though. I dont think he is an elite level talent but I didnt see a huge gap between him and C.J. Fiedorowicz. He could easily flameout before camp starts but I gave a draftable grade to Ballard and he looked like an NFL player before he got hurt
    exactly my point. there were elements of grimbles game that i liked much better than fied and even ASJ. And TE's dont need to be burners they just need to be quick enough to threaten the seam at an intermediate level and grimble certainly can do that. i also doubt he's slower than the other TE's outside of Ebron by enough of a margin to warrant going undrafted.

plus you factor in what a mess USC was. I dunno, confusing. but i'll take it. I've read the CBS scouting report. i also read other reports that had him up there with the other TE's 2-5. hes a big man who has some agility and athleticism. MB wasnt some speed threat. i dunno, id think Grimble would have went drafted but there has to be some off field issue or interview issue i dunno...he was a top recruit. he has athleticism and talent and potential and had 11 TD grabs compared to what did Ebron have? 3 last yr? no way im buying Grimble was that much worse than the 2-5 rated TE's to go undrafted.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
    Slow a foot and lack of production last year had him riding the pines during the Draft. There is certainly potential there, potential practice squad guy!
    Production doesnt mean much to me, USC hasnt thrown the Ball to a TE since 2007

I guess there may be some upside with this kid considering that M-Lee also had a down year this year.

Was the issue the QB at USC?

Quote Originally Posted by BleedingBlue123 View Post
    I guess there may be some upside with this kid considering that M-Lee also had a down year this year.

Was the issue the QB at USC?
    Part of it.

Grimble is no JPP of TE's, but can be an inline TE, excellent blocker and can catch the football. An Eli type tight end.