+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kNicksGiants View Post
    Not sure what those stats even mean. But the reality is Melo is a top 10 player is this league and without doubt the 3rd best sf
    top 10? top 15 maybe. we have different ratings on what best is . Volume scorers with poor defense arent top 10 players to me. He was rated 18th overall in +- last year
    Last edited by Redeyejedi; 07-14-2014 at 05:12 PM.

He's not a poor defender, average at worst. And he's arguably the best scorer in the league. Then you take a look at the trash he's been surrounded with and it's amazing the kind of production he has put up.

His contact is fair. In a couple years Durant and LeBron will be getting contacts around 30 mil per year once the cap goes up. There are very few players with his talent and ability in the league. You can't look at advanced stats that say this player or that player is more efficient or effective when they are the third option on the team and are not the focus of the defense. Also comparing him to a Durant or LeBron is unfair because Melo doesn't have a Westbrook or an ibaka. He doesn't have a bosh or wade.

Melo would average 5+ assists if he wasn't surrounded by players incapable of making wide open jump shots. I think Melo will like playing with calderon because when Melo gets doubled in the post calderon will make them pay unlike Felton.

Plus minus is not a good stat to rate or rank players. You can't use per 48 stats from 3rd options and say they're better than Melo. There is a reason these guys are third options. If they took over the responsibility that a player like Melo has their efficiency would plummet as well as other areas of their games suffering. It's common sense.
    Last edited by kNicksGiants; 07-14-2014 at 07:54 PM.

You know how I can tell you're not a "true" Knicks fan?

Because a "true" Knicks fan would never have to say "I'm a true Knicks fan."
    Finalized divorce from Victor Michael Walker Cruz November 23rd, 2014. 9:16 PM.

Batum, Nicolas POR SF 82 2956 .241 14.9 4.4 17.4 9.9 6.8
    Ariza, Trevor WAS SF 77 2723 .234 13.3 4.2 19.5 8.4 3.4
    Leonard, Kawhi SAS SF 66 1923 .294 11.8 6.1 21.1 10.3 3.3
    George, Paul IND SF 80 2898 .177 10.7 2.4 28.8 9.0 4.7
    Tucker, P.J. PHO SF 81 2490 .200 10.4 3.1 14.7 10.2 2.7
    Iguodala, Andre GSW SF 63 2040 .241 10.2 4.4 13.8 6.9 6.2
    these are the supposed small forwards that are better than Melo? (i left out Bron and Durant) Paul George is the only guy on the list that is a first option and the only guy you could make a real argument for being better than Melo. Leonard has the potential to be at that level, but he's not there yet. The others speak for themselves. Ariza? Tucker? Batum? Iggy? Not a coach or gm in the league would agree they are better than Melo. Even most Melo haters wouldn't be delusional enough to believe that.

He's not a poor defender, average at worst. And he's arguably the best scorer in the league. Then you take a look at the trash he's been surrounded with and it's amazing the kind of production he has put up.

His contact is fair. In a couple years Durant and LeBron will be getting contacts around 30 mil per year once the cap goes up. There are very few players with his talent and ability in the league. You can't look at advanced stats that say this player or that player is more efficient or effective when they are the third option on the team and are not the focus of the defense. Also comparing him to a Durant or LeBron is unfair because Melo doesn't have a Westbrook or an ibaka. He doesn't have a bosh or wade.

Melo would average 5+ assists if he wasn't surrounded by players incapable of making wide open jump shots. I think Melo will like playing with calderon because when Melo gets doubled in the post calderon will make them pay unlike Felton.
    He has had excuses his whole career , if he wanted better players on the team he should of sacrificed some cash or went to chicago but thats secondary to Melo.

Banned
    He is a BUM......as Ralph Kramden would say LOL

Jackson must hav lost his mind.......sign him, trade him......move on

We need to build through the draft and astute moves like San Antonio and The Pacers make.........We had Donnie Walsh and Little man Dolan- Papa's boy
    forced him out.........to personally hire the Team Concept TERMINATOR- SMELLO!!!!

Way to go Dolan..... Donne Walsh has more Basketball knowledge in one of his nose hairs than little boy Dolan has in his whole body

Quote Originally Posted by BParcells777 View Post
    He is a BUM......as Ralph Kramden would say LOL

Jackson must hav lost his mind.......sign him, trade him......move on

We need to build through the draft and astute moves like San Antonio and The Pacers make.........We had Donnie Walsh and Little man Dolan- Papa's boy
    forced him out.........to personally hire the Team Concept TERMINATOR- SMELLO!!!!

Way to go Dolan..... Donne Walsh has more Basketball knowledge in one of his nose hairs than little boy Dolan has in his whole body
    You're a bum. How can you not like what Phil Jackson has done so far with the Knicks? Then again, you're not even a fan to begin. You're just a measly little troll that craves attention.

I feel the need......THE NEED FOR SPEED!!!!!!!!

Banned
    I cannot stand Smello's brand of Basketball I'm sorry

I am old enough to have watched Frazier, DeBusherre, and Willis Reed

I know what a real Knick Basketball team looks like and this is the opposite........you cannot thrive if you have a self centered "star" on your team.....the next pass to a cutter he throws will be his 1st

these are the supposed small forwards that are better than Melo? (i left out Bron and Durant) Paul George is the only guy on the list that is a first option and the only guy you could make a real argument for being better than Melo. Leonard has the potential to be at that level, but he's not there yet. The others speak for themselves. Ariza? Tucker? Batum? Iggy? Not a coach or gm in the league would agree they are better than Melo. Even most Melo haters wouldn't be delusional enough to believe that.
    Not individually better but +- what he is worth to his team per 100 offensive and defensive possessions. There is no more a perfect example in this than Amare Stoudamire Melos teammate. Amare Stoudamire is a very productive offensive player however when he is on the court the Knicks are a worse team defensively if he gives up more points than he scores, is he worth having. My problem with Melo isnt that he is a great individual player , Melo is a fabulous 1 on 1 player but he stagnates an offense as a whole . Melo's numbers while gaudy and show a high level of individual talent dont help a team win basketball games at the rate of pay his salary suggests. Melo refuses to play a brand of basketball that maximizes his teammates. You can say his teammates aren't good enough but thats just a cop out. He sabotaged Dantonis system refusing to alter his game even though it maximized his efficiency. He has done this his whole career , Melo isnt happy until he is bouncing the ball by himself with no 1 moving for 10 seconds at the top of the key . The Knicks have a bunch of young players this season that need to get on the court if the Knicks are going to be able to build a team that can legitimately compete for a championship by the middle of Melos deal. Is Melo going to accept the need to grow the surrounding talent or is he going to demand the Knicks sign Kmart and play JR Smith because they will cave to his brand of basketball. If Melo wants to get paid 35% of the cap the Knicks have to get creative with the roster and the only way to do that is with cheap young players overplaying their salary. Will he accept growing pains and trust the offensive system or is he going to do what he has done everywhere else and say im going to do this alone. As for the players above I would take Paul George , Leonard over Melo right now in a heartbeat. They are younger and cost far less ,id take them and their 20 million + in cap space.
    This isnt the old salary cap where you can spend into oblivion with exceptions . If that was the case I could care less how much Melo gets.
    I think we finally have a guy in Phil Jackson that understands that keeping that flexibility to make sign and trades and be in a position to grab a dumped player is beneficial. This Knick team isnt competing right away so why bother wasting money on players killing cap flexibility and stagnating young player growth for marginal improvement. If you can add Pau for 3.2 million great if you can't move on, be patient and a deal will present itself. Trade Shumpert for a first if the situation presents itself. He probably wont be resigned and doesnt fit the triangle all that well so why not get something. I know you think late draft picks are worthless but without having low contracts on the books to offset Melo's and Love or MGasol or whoever else comes here the Knicks will never build a roster that can legitimately compete.