+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    PC Cops in Football

    Tony Dungy was the latest victim to feel backlash from the PC police because he simply expressed an honest opinion when asked a question. I'm ok with a person who expresses an opinion getting rebutted with a civil and constructive opposing point of view, but these PC cops take any news they find contrary to their own to the extreme. They not only want an apology, which I feel is ridiculous in this case, they want to see people fired and or ostercized in public.

    I find the hypocrtical nature of the PC police appaling. Not one peep from them when a man like Tim Teebow is subjected to un-solicited anti-Christian rhetoric. That seems to be perfectly OK.... but let a man like Tony Dungy or David Tyree express an opinion and the PC police (media included) will light them up in a blatant attempt to ruin their career. Its a huge double standard!

    I don't condone the actions of people like Richie Incognito, it was wrong to single out a person and try to make thier life miserable. That is bullying and has no place anywhere. However, I support anyone who is asked a question about thier own beliefs on a topic and they give an honest answer. I don't have to agree with their answer, but I understand they are entiled to thier opinion and respect the fact they answered the question openly and honestly. I don't think they should be demonized.

    Now I'm certain some folks are going to try and turn this thread into something it's not, go off an a heated tagent, and eventually have it closed or deleted. I kept the thread very general in nature because it can apply to a variety of different topics.It is not a hate thread, it is a thread about learning to be tolerant regardless of your point of view.If you think your not going to like the answer someone gives, then don't ask the question. Sometimes I think people ask a person a question, because they already know the answer and just want them to state it out loud so they can go off on tirade. It's stupid and its not fair to that person to be condemned for having an opinion.

  2. #2
    Oh Lord. For the millionth time, Tebow wasn't subjected to anti-Christian rhetoric. If that was the case, then Ray Lewis and every other current or former NFL player who expresses their religious beliefs would be blasted too.

    People are entitled to their beliefs, but when those beliefs disparage a particular segment of society for their race, gender, religion or sexuality then there's going to be a justifiable backlash. It's no different than the backlash Donald Sterling got when his comments went public. Now, while I agree that political correctness was a good idea that went off the rails, these aren't the 'good old days' when you can disparage particular segments of society and get away with it.
    Last edited by kingcap88; 07-23-2014 at 11:45 AM.
    One of these teams is not like the others


  3. #3
    How about a link so we can all know what you're talking about?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by kingcap88 View Post
    Oh Lord. For the millionth time, Tebow wasn't subjected to anti-Christian rhetoric. If that was the case, then Ray Lewis and every other current or former NFL player who expresses their religious beliefs would be blasted too.

    People are entitled to their beliefs, but when those beliefs disparage a particular segment of society for their race, gender, religion or sexuality then there's going to be a justifiable backlash. It's no different than the backlash Donald Sterling got when his comments went public. Now, while I agree that political correctness was a good idea that went off the rails, these aren't the 'good old days' when you can disparage particular segments of society and get away with it.
    There is a distinct difference between someone who openly protests an issue and someone who is asked a question in an interview and they give an honest answer. And yes, Teebow was beat up because of his convictions. I stand by that statement. As for Ray Ray, a guy who found religion shortly after it looked like he may be put on trial for murder..... All I can say is I hope his convictions were real and not just for show.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    164
    tebow was beat up cause he sucks lol.. quite possibly the worst thrower in the history of the nfl

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelfan1966 View Post
    There is a distinct difference between someone who openly protests an issue and someone who is asked a question in an interview and they give an honest answer. And yes, Teebow was beat up because of his convictions. I stand by that statement. As for Ray Ray, a guy who found religion shortly after it looked like he may be put on trial for murder..... All I can say is I hope his convictions were real and not just for show.
    There's not much of a difference if the protest and/or the answer to a question manages to disparage or offend a segment of the population. If a person stands outside protesting an issue or gives an answer to a question stating that they are against an issue it's still going to cause the same backlash if it offends a segment of the population.

    And how was Tebow criticized for being a Christian? He was definitely criticized for being a horrible QB, but people genuinely seemed to like him as a person because he seemed like a decent guy. And by questioning the veracity of Rice's religious beliefs aren't you doing the same thing that you accuse people of doing to Tebow regarding his religious beliefs?
    One of these teams is not like the others


  7. #7
    Veteran BronxBomberBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Suffolk County
    Posts
    2,294
    Quote Originally Posted by kingcap88 View Post
    Oh Lord. For the millionth time, Tebow wasn't subjected to anti-Christian rhetoric. If that was the case, then Ray Lewis and every other current or former NFL player who expresses their religious beliefs would be blasted too.

    People are entitled to their beliefs, but when those beliefs disparage a particular segment of society for their race, gender, religion or sexuality then there's going to be a justifiable backlash. It's no different than the backlash Donald Sterling got when his comments went public. Now, while I agree that political correctness was a good idea that went off the rails, these aren't the 'good old days' when you can disparage particular segments of society and get away with it.

    Excellent post, KC. +1



    The Drive for Super Bowl Championship #5!!!

  8. #8
    Veteran BronxBomberBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Suffolk County
    Posts
    2,294
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelfan1966 View Post
    There is a distinct difference between someone who openly protests an issue and someone who is asked a question in an interview and they give an honest answer. And yes, Teebow was beat up because of his convictions. I stand by that statement. As for Ray Ray, a guy who found religion shortly after it looked like he may be put on trial for murder..... All I can say is I hope his convictions were real and not just for show.

    I wish Dungy was just as critical of Michael Vick being reinstated back into the NFL after killing hundreds of dogs in sadistic ways, as he is of the drafting of a gay player.



    The Drive for Super Bowl Championship #5!!!

  9. #9
    All-Pro TCHOF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    5,919
    Quote Originally Posted by DrFeelgood View Post
    tebow was beat up cause he sucks lol.. quite possibly the worst thrower in the history of the nfl
    +1

    I don't remember anyone ripping Tebow because of his beliefs. What I do remember is that people who held the same beliefs would react violently if anyone suggested that Tebow was not a good NFL QB.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts