+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bench Player

So, what can we say about Fewell now?

I personally think he's doing a great job as I'm sure everyone else probably feels. The thing is, it seems like there were no significant changes in the scheme, just players playing with that extra confidence and attitude to win games. So that brings up the question-where the Giants just a little lazy during the regular season on D or maybe had little to no confidence in themselves? Where the defensive plays that needed to be made always there and they just didn't have the heart to execute correctly? Just asking because everybody wanted Fewell gone not to long ago (me included) lol. But. I'm not the one to dwell on the past, just curious since all games aren't playoff games and clearly those games are when we have the most confidence. That said I'm loving what I'm seeing and even if (big IF) we loose next week I think Perry deserves another chance next season. Great game yesterday

All-Pro

Re: So, what can we say about Fewell now?

Well clearly it shows that the coach can only call the plays. The players need to execute his plays. Injuries and not trusting one another was a huge problem.

it shows why you don't fire coaches mid season.

One thing I'll give Fewell credit for is simplifying the Defense. I wish he would have done it sooner but better late then never.'

We're also seeing much less of the dredded three man rush and we're actually blitzing on third and long so its not just a matter of the player playing better. PF has stepped his game up as well.
    My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Burier: Yes.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of Super Bowl 46: Do you promise?

Burier: Yes. I promise.

One thing I'll give Fewell credit for is simplifying the Defense. I wish he would have done it sooner but better late then never.'

We're also seeing much less of the dredded three man rush and we're actually blitzing on third and long so its not just a matter of the player playing better. PF has stepped his game up as well.
    My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

[quote user="nybeatmaker"]I personally think he's doing a great job as I'm sure everyone else probably feels. The thing is, it seems like there were no significant changes in the scheme, just players playing with that extra confidence and attitude to win games. So that brings up the question-where the Giants just a little lazy during the regular season on D or maybe had little to no confidence in themselves? Where the defensive plays that needed to be made always there and they just didn't have the heart to execute correctly? Just asking because everybody wanted Fewell gone not to long ago (me included) lol. But. I'm not the one to dwell on the past, just curious since all games aren't playoff games and clearly those games are when we have the most confidence. That said I'm loving what I'm seeing and even if (big IF) we loose next week I think Perry deserves another chance next season. Great game yesterday
    [/quote]

I don't agree with your statement that he made no significant changes in the scheme. When we were losing, Fewell was using a three man rush a lot. He changed to a four man line which improved the defense by getting a rush on the QB and hiding the weaknesses in the secondary which are still there. There were several wide open Green bay receivers which were open because of blown assignments that are still happening. We still have them and they need to be addressed. Keep the pressure and we win in SF.

[quote user="burier"]One thing I'll give Fewell credit for is simplifying the Defense. I wish he would have done it sooner but better late then never.' We're also seeing much less of the dredded three man rush and we're actually blitzing on third and long so its not just a matter of the player playing better. PF has stepped his game up as well.[/quote]

if you listen to all the D players and coaches they all insist they didnt "simplify" anything. They just all do their "own" job now and trust that your team mate will do his.

Great example on the other side of the ball last night.........3 WRs in for the Hail Mary and ONLY Nicks jumps!!! If Cruz jumped or Thomas jumped to try and make the play all at the same time.....that catch never gets made...

The players are following the scheme on both sides of the ball........

"Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

[quote user="GameTime"]

[quote user="burier"]One thing I'll give Fewell credit for is simplifying the Defense. I wish he would have done it sooner but better late then never.' We're also seeing much less of the dredded three man rush and we're actually blitzing on third and long so its not just a matter of the player playing better. PF has stepped his game up as well.[/quote]

if you listen to all the D players and coaches they all insist they didnt "simplify" anything. They just all do their "own" job now and trust that your team mate will do his.

Great example on the other side of the ball last night.........3 WRs in for the Hail Mary and ONLY Nicks jumps!!! If Cruz jumped or Thomas jumped to try and make the play all at the same time.....that catch never gets made...

The players are following the scheme on both sides of the ball........

[/quote]

I'll buy that. Though I'm still happy to see pressure on third down.

All-Pro

yeah how funny do all those discussions seem now ... now that the players are healthy, we are playing well ... what an amazing concept!!!

i dunno, is it the chicken or the egg?

did we start calling more blitzes because our coverage improved?

either way, they're playing way better.

Something underappreciated from the packer game was how many times AR couldn't find anyone to throw to. never mind the pass rush, he was looking alot without alot of options.

a team with an awesome QB and an awesome TE, couldn't find enough open guys to throw to, with a perry fewell giants defense.

chew on that for awhile.