+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Re: 2011 NFL DRAFT "Sleeper" Thread(Giant MB Traditon!!)

[quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="thegreatone"]RB allen bradford usc. very intrigued by this kid.
    [/quote] Mario Fannin jumped on the list as well.. a impressive combine from him as well...
    [/quote]yeah very fast kid. thought locke would run in the high to mid 4.3's but 4.4 isnt too shabby

[quote user="nycsportzfan"]Well, in what has become a Fun traditon on these boards, i decided to start this yrs SLEEPER thread for the 2011 NFL DRAFT... It was a awesome thread last yr, and its meant for mid to later rd guys who people think are gonna make it in the pro's and help our club or a club... Dosen't have to be Super Star, just a guy or guys who will make it and help and become known on the next level...

A guy i'm liking right now for a 6th-7th and maybe 5th if he does good at the Shrine Game and in Pre Draft workouts is DT TERRELL McCLAIN of S.FLORIDA... Hes got very good size and showed enough production to warrent middish to late rd consideration in hopes of finding a gem..McClain offers a nice mix of Run Stopping and at causing havoc in his penetration.. Coach Holtz said Measurable wise, McClain may be the best prospect they have to offer in this yrs draft.. Watch for him to make some noise in moving up some on the way toward the draft... Think 4th-6th rd with a ceiling of 3rd rd if everything in the world works out

Another player i like for the later rounds is Notre Dame CB Darrin Walls.. I've watched him his whole career as a diehard ND fan, and hes got SUNDAY potential.. Not afraid to mix it up in run support with his solid CB SIZE(6ft 190lb), and plays the ball very well in the air... Very expierenced, and easily the best Player in Notre Dames Secondary... Very solid ST player at ND.. Can play man as well as most CB's in college ball, and has nice speed and agility... A Solid all around player.. Think 4th-6th rd

One more Sleeper for now that i'll mention is Louisville TE Cameron Graham... Hes become one of my fave TE prospects out there, with his length and hands... Had 10games of at least 3catches and can block pretty solidly.. OC mike sanford has said, hes a good blend of on the line blocking TE and recevier, and also mentions, hes not the biggest TE, but he works his but off... Graham was highly recruited jr college player, getting scholarship offers from LSU and Arizona st, but chose Louisville due to playing more quickly... A definete player to keep a eye on going forward... Think 5th-7th with ceiling of late 4th...

[/quote] not bad, on Terrell McClain.. First sleeper of the thread, has done pretty much what i said, and after the combine, may of gotten his ceiling of 3rd rd, we shall see..

Cam Graham on the other hand, wasen't as impressive....

Veteran

i think shane vereen is a guy that stands out to me, i think he's 4-5 round projected not sure. dont know if hs combine performance raised his stock; he can KR/PR catch out of the backfield, the only thing in question is pass protection ability but i think he can be coached into that

Retweeted by Rueben Randle
    @Katdaddyjay 17h
    @RuebenRandle @OBJ_3 @Giants
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ps625a51fb.jpg

[quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Redeyejedi"]

[quote user="nycsportzfan"] I know i mentioned this guy alot on other threads and in mock drafts, but i believe alot in his talent, and that Davonte Shannon SS BUFFALO.... One of the last from the Turner Gill Era... This guys a beast, and i gurantee he gets drafted, and i believe will follow in the Mike Newton and James Starks and Jamey Richard and drew willys mold of buff players in the NFL.... Shannon is a absoulute Top hitter who can jar the ball loose, and has solid ball skills and anticipates very well, hes one of the Top players overall in the MAC, and i think will make a club and make a impact in time, one of my favorite sleepers of this draft season... A double digit tackle machine....

Heres some secondary Sleepers, and i'll do some other positons later on...

Safety's...

Davonte Shannon SS Buffalo- been talking about him for ever now, described above...

Mark Legree S Appalachian St- Ballhawk, is the word to describe Legree, could follow recent app st nfl draftee's all the way to the NFL...

Joe Lefeged SS Rutgers- Hard hitting, snot bubble rocking safety, who will help on special teams and posibly blocking kicks, and has solid ball skills, and could return kicks possibly.. Not a real sleeper, but somewhat, as i see him as a 4th-5th rd guy and Special team Ace, maybe in the Tyree and Kasim Osgood mold of ST ace...

Chris Culliver S/CB S.Carolina- injury plaqued, but a sloid prospect, that if healthy , couldve been in the 3rd rd range, but may fall to the sleeper rds, and has good size, and versatility, can play Safety and CB, and has solid speed and seems like a Perry Fewell type versaile defensive player..

CORNER BACKS

Darrin Walls CB N.Dame- all ready talked about him on Opening Post of this thread, great looking late rd CB. Good in Run recogniton, solid speed and good size, leadership qualities...

anthony gaitor cb fla int- Ballhawking CB from small school... Not super fast or big, but gets it done, and isn't afraid of sticking his nose in on run tackling.... physical player...

marcus gilchrist cb clemson
    - a solid sized, solid speed corner... made move from safety to corner, and did fairly well, has some promise...
    [/quote]This is an intriguing player I believe as well. He is a good Kick returner to which is a plus. Ive been watching alot of him the last few days and believe he can play CB in the NFL. He has the speed and athleticism to mirror receivers in man coverage.He is also very solid in zone.He isnt the most physical run defender as a safety but for a corner he would be above average. He has pretty solid ball skills as well. I could see him as a later round option for the Giants for sure. I think im going to put together a video for him.

I look at the returning SC players and they have a hell of a team. Outside of Alabama they have probably the most returning talent in the SEC. I mean they have a great RB in Marcus Lattimore. Maybe the best receiver in CFB in Alshon Jeffery at least Top 3 with Floyd and Blackmon. They have a Hybrid DE/LB pass pusher in Devin Taylor , A top corner prospect in Stephen Gilmore.An NFL SS prospect in Devonte Holloman, NFL DT in Travian Robertson and a very experienced Senior QB in Stephen Garcia.This is a Pre season Top 10 maybe top 5 team in my opinion. Id only put them behind a few teams for sure Oregon,Alabama,Oklahoma,Stanford after that I mean its wide open

[/quote] Ya, SC is loaded.... I actually am a Lefeged fan, alittle more, but hes not quite as versatile as culliver, but more durable, and also, a ST ace... I think Lefeged can have a David Tyree type effect on the ST coverege teams.
    [/quote] Wow, joe lefeged looked stellar yesterday.. I really could see the giants look at the local kid... I mean, he ran a sub 4.5, he hits like a ruanway truck, he projects to be stellar on ST's, and he plays in the box really well, and makes enough plays in coverge, to not be a question mark there, either...Actually, all the guys from this post, did well at the combine, culliver, legree did ok, Gilchrist was stellar, and Lefeged was stellar... Gilchris, Culliver, and Lefeged remind me of Giant type players, and legree a tad more finesse, but u never know...

[quote user="Redeyejedi"]

[quote user="nycsportzfan"] I know i mentioned this guy alot on other threads and in mock drafts, but i believe alot in his talent, and that Davonte Shannon SS BUFFALO.... One of the last from the Turner Gill Era... This guys a beast, and i gurantee he gets drafted, and i believe will follow in the Mike Newton and James Starks and Jamey Richard and drew willys mold of buff players in the NFL.... Shannon is a absoulute Top hitter who can jar the ball loose, and has solid ball skills and anticipates very well, hes one of the Top players overall in the MAC, and i think will make a club and make a impact in time, one of my favorite sleepers of this draft season... A double digit tackle machine....

Safety's...

Davonte Shannon SS Buffalo- been talking about him for ever now, described above...

Mark Legree S Appalachian St- Ballhawk, is the word to describe Legree, could follow recent app st nfl draftee's all the way to the NFL...

Joe Lefeged SS Rutgers- Hard hitting, snot bubble rocking safety, who will help on special teams and posibly blocking kicks, and has solid ball skills, and could return kicks possibly.. Not a real sleeper, but somewhat, as i see him as a 4th-5th rd guy and Special team Ace, maybe in the Tyree and Kasim Osgood mold of ST ace...

Chris Culliver S/CB S.Carolina- injury plaqued, but a sloid prospect, that if healthy , couldve been in the 3rd rd range, but may fall to the sleeper rds, and has good size, and versatility, can play Safety and CB, and has solid speed and seems like a Perry Fewell type versaile defensive player..

CORNER BACKS

Darrin Walls CB N.Dame- all ready talked about him on Opening Post of this thread, great looking late rd CB. Good in Run recogniton, solid speed and good size, leadership qualities...

anthony gaitor cb fla int- Ballhawking CB from small school... Not super fast or big, but gets it done, and isn't afraid of sticking his nose in on run tackling.... physical player...

- a solid sized, solid speed corner... made move from safety to corner, and did fairly well, has some promise...
    [/quote]This is an intriguing player I believe as well. He is a good Kick returner to which is a plus. Ive been watching alot of him the last few days and believe he can play CB in the NFL. He has the speed and athleticism to mirror receivers in man coverage.He is also very solid in zone.He isnt the most physical run defender as a safety but for a corner he would be above average. He has pretty solid ball skills as well. I could see him as a later round option for the Giants for sure. I think im going to put together a video for him.

I look at the returning SC players and they have a hell of a team. Outside of Alabama they have probably the most returning talent in the SEC. I mean they have a great RB in Marcus Lattimore. Maybe the best receiver in CFB in Alshon Jeffery at least Top 3 with Floyd and Blackmon. They have a Hybrid DE/LB pass pusher in Devin Taylor , A top corner prospect in Stephen Gilmore.An NFL SS prospect in Devonte Holloman, NFL DT in Travian Robertson and a very experienced Senior QB in Stephen Garcia.This is a Pre season Top 10 maybe top 5 team in my opinion. Id only put them behind a few teams for sure Oregon,Alabama,Oklahoma,Stanford after that I mean its wide open

[/quote]They still got rocked by Florida State in the Chick-fil-A- Bowl Game though. lol- Greg Reid says HI Marcus Lattimore-

Safety's...

CORNER BACKS

[/quote] Heres a right up of Riser/Fallers from JBScouting.Com, which emphasizes Small School Prospects..
    After a great workout for Mark Legree, to go with a Outstanding Combine, hes rising.. I would love to have this guy in the 6th - 7th range... Also, Cortez Allen has intriuged me for sometime, and i think is a nice fit late, if we don't go CB early on...

2011 Combine Risers/Fallers

Written by Admin

Friday, 04 March 2011 08:38

COMBINE RISERS AND FALLERS

This year several small schoolers helped themselves with very few posting bad numbers.

Here is a look at those who helped and hurt themselves at the Combine.

RISERS

CB Cortez Allen, The Citadel- Allen
    has elite size at 6012, 197 pounds and ran a very well posting 4.4s in
    the 40-yard dash and elite numbers in the short shuttle (4.01), broad
    jump (10’9), and 3-cone (6.76). He also did well in the bench with 18
    reps and had a solid 35 ˝ inch vertical. We project him to free safety
    in the NFL and believe he will contribute as a gunner and play edge
    containment on kickoff early on. His senior tape wasn’t the best but it
    would not be surprising to see someone take him in the late rounds
    after

C Brandon Fusco, Slippery Rock-
    Looking at his size (6’4, 306) he would fit more at guard if he bulked
    up so it will be interesting to see where he ends up. His workout was
    very good with a strong 26 reps, solid 28 ˝ inch vertical, and a
    terrific 9’0 broad jump, 7.29 3-cone, and 4.43 short shuttle. His
    3-cone, short shuttle, and broad jump are elite for the position.
    Fusco’s results are very good overall and should push him up the board.
    It would not be shocking to see someone taking him in the late 4th round now.

WR Edmond Gates, Abilene Christian- We
    have been told he was a third round projection since September and we
    believe this workout confirmed the grades on tape with outstanding
    results in the 40-yard dash (4.31-4.37), broad jump (10’11), vertical
    (40 inches), and a solid 16 reps at 5116, 192 pounds.

OG/C Daniel Kilgore, Appalachian
    State- The average guard is usually around 6’4 315-320 in the NFL so we
    believe Kilgore will be a center since he matches up much closer to the
    average (6’3, 302) being that he is 6032, 308 pounds. While his 23 reps
    are not up there with the top centers his 32 1/2 inch vertical is very
    good for one and his 8’9 broad jump is quite explosive also. He also
    came in much faster than the averages in the 3-cone with a 7.59 and
    short shuttle with a 4.68. This workout has solidified that he will not
    only get drafted but could push him into the 5th round.

FS Mark LeGree, Appalachian State-
    LeGree certainly helped himself to debunk the rumors he is stiff or too
    slow and confirmed what we have been thinking for the last three years.
    We fell in love with him during his sophomore year and knew he had a
    chance to be a player. Three All-America seasons later and a solid
    Combine workout and he has proven he is a player to watch at the next
    level. LeGree measured in at 5114, 210 pounds and ran in the 4.49-4.59
    range on hand helds in the 40-yard dash. He also posted elite times in
    the 3-cone (6.90) and short shuttle (4.09) as the averages are in the
    7.05 and 4.24 range. His jumps weren’t great at 31 inches and a 9’8
    broad jump but he was strong in the bench with 21 reps and likely tested
    through the roof in the wonderlic compared to other safeties. He was a
    borderline draft pick heading into the combine by many but if this
    didn't solidify a 5th-6th round grade we don’t know what will.

TE Schuylar Oordt, Northern Iowa-
    Oordt has the size at 6056, 261 pounds and ran well (mid 4.6s) on hand
    helds. He also had a very good 36-inch vertical, 9’11 broad jump, and
    posted elite times in the 3-cone (6.83) and short shuttle (4.25). It
    would be shocking if he was not taken in the late rounds with these
    numbers.

DT Martin Parker, Richmond- Parker lit
    up the combine in the speed, quickness, and initial burst drills. His
    size is slightly below average at 6021, 303 pounds but he is very
    athletic showing speed (4.95-5.03 40) and great times in the 3-cone
    (7.56), short shuttle (4.57), and a solid 29-inch vertical. On tape you
    can tell he needs to get stronger and work on lower body power which
    showed in the bench (just 22 reps), and average broad jump (8’8). We
    believe this Combine solidified and confirmed what we saw on tape but
    showed he has elite quickness and speed making him a solid mid round
    developmental prospect who could have fallen out of the draft if not for
    the good all around times.

QB Josh Portis, California PA- Because
    of his arm strength we won’t say he needs to change positions but if he
    wants to he can certainly play receiver with his workout results. At
    6027, 211 pounds he would make a good sized receiver and he ran very
    posting a 4.59 40-yard dash on some hand helds. His other numbers are
    elite for quarterbacks and well above average across the board for
    receivers with a 40-inch vertical, 10’6 broad jump, 6.84 3-cone, and
    4.12 short shuttle. This could very easily get him drafted but either
    way we see him as a developmental quarterback you put on the practice
    squad or a total project at receiver. Either way he has upside and will
    either be a good one down the road or will end up in the CFL where he
    could potentially be a star. This workout likely puts him on many
    teams’ draft boards and gives him a chance to be given a stronger look
    in training camp.

WR Cecil Shorts, Mount Union- Shorts
    measured in at 5116, 205 pounds and while he is not a great jumper (36
    inch vertical, 9’10 broad jump), he ran in the average in the 40-yard
    dash (4.50-4.59) and posted very good times in the 3-cone (6.50) and
    short shuttle (4.07). Both of those last two times are well above
    average. It would be hard to see him going higher than the 5th round but this workout should certainly guarantee him a spot in the late rounds, at the very least.

CB Buster Skrine, Chattanooga- We will
    first caution our readers when we say this because he did get burned
    for three touchdowns and had five pass interference calls in two games
    (Elon and Auburn) showing he does not have the skills against pass heavy
    teams. He isn’t elite enough to start but despite being 5094, 186
    pounds someone is going to over draft him after his fantastic workout.
    He is quick, physical, and explosive but needs to work on man cover
    skills, making him a likely a cover two nickel corner who must earn his
    keep on special teams. With that said he clocked as low as a 4.37-40
    yard dash from the watches we saw and posted outstanding times in the
    short shuttle (3.90) and 3-cone (6.44) and then was explosive in jumps
    with a 37-inch vertical and 10’2 broad jump. His 20 reps were solid as
    well and should only improve as he gains more weight. Because of this
    workout he likely lands in the 4th or 5th round in
    our opinion but is a priority free agent or borderline draft pick in
    terms of value. His core value is on special teams right now making him
    a guy we would take later in the draft and plug in as a gunner, return
    man, etc.

FALLERS

CB Justin Rogers, Richmond- Yes he ran
    pretty well (4.4s) on hand helds at 5103, 183 but he was expected too.
    His other drills were well below average for the most part only
    managing 14 reps, a 33-inch vertical, a poor time in the 3-cone (7.21),
    and below average 9’6 broad jump. Rogers was in the 5th to 6th
    round range heading in but we now believe he is a borderline draft pick
    and might not even get drafted, despite the media hype. We see him as a
    7th-PFA projection right now.

ILB/OLB D.J. Smith, Appalachian State-
    His workouts showed us what we thought on tape. He’s a tweener who was
    great in college but lacks the change of direction skills, strength,
    and ideal size despite having average NFL straight line speed. Smith
    only measured in at 5105, 239 pounds (two inches shorter than the
    average ILB) but clocked in the 4.71-4.78 range on most hand helds. His
    other drills were below average or poor across the board only managing
    21 reps, a 31-inch vertical, 8’8 broad jump, and 4.45 short shuttle.
    All of those times were below average while his 7.35 3-cone is about .20
    slower than the average NFL ILB or OLB. He likely solidified a free
    agent grade and will have to make a roster on special teams tucked away
    on a practice squad or possibly on active roster as a player that is
    probably inactive for most of the year, unless injuries occur.

JEKYLL AND HIDE (CONCERNS)

WR Ricardo Lockette, Fort Valley
    State- If you look at the workout alone Lockette hit a home run coming
    in at 6021, 211 pounds and ran in the mid 4.3 range in the 40-yard
    dash. He then had a very good workout posting a 10’7 broad jump and
    4.19 short shuttle. His vertical was solid at 35 ˝ inches but his
    3-cone time was a concern falling well below the average 6.9 with a

Either way his workout was solid
    making you believe this kid dominated the D2 ranks like Edmond Gates did
    with this athletic ability. Well like we said you would think he
    dominated. Looking back at the numbers and the tape we are baffled how
    he did no produce. His best value comes in the kickoff return game
    where he only managed 24.1 yards per return and was just third on the
    team in receiving with 23 catches for 262 yards and one touchdown.
    Their leader was tight end Tony Davis who ran in the 4.9s at their
    junior pro day recently and clearly outperformed Lockette.

We also have off field concerns as he
    showed that he focused on his 40-yard dash time and didn’t worry about
    just being fast on the field when talking to the folks at ESPN First
    Take. He also told everyone at the press conference he would lead all
    receivers in the bench press and would be the fastest man at Indy but
    was not that close to the fastest and he didn’t even bench. He also
    told scouts his poor quarterback play was why he did not do well during
    the season but failed to record a catch with better quarterbacks at the
    HBCU Game and had multiple drops in the NFLPA Game. While he is very
    athletic we believe he is an outstanding track guy who just isn’t a
    football player right now. We are also concerned about the fact he
    failed a drug test in 2009 and missed the season. The explanation we
    have received there doesn’t add up either. We will see though… To sum
    it up he is rising on the boards of NFL teams but his lack of
    production with his athletic ability causes concern and makes us feel he
    is a track/workout shorts athlete but just not a football player right
    now. If being a great athlete in workout shorts makes you a guy to
    develop every time then we want Usain Bolt on our team because he has
    better speed numbers than anyone out there.

NOTES

All of the projected guards will need
    to bulk up to be average among NFL guards while they all were solid in
    drills none of them really stood out.

Did not put Pat Devlin in risers but
    he had a solid workout. Just didn’t look like a riser compared to Portis
    but don’t be fooled, he has good numbers among his position.

Denarious Moore is a nice looking Sleeper WR for someone... Had some pretty explosive games, and has decent size, and elite speed... Reminds me of a Mario Manningham/Domenik Hixon type

Veteran

I haven't seen his name mentioned here (or much of anywhere for that matter), but the Giants (along with the Colts) had private meetings with Prathon Wilkerson (CB) from Albany State.

The only tape I could find was this highlight vid

Could be a good late-round sleeper.

[quote user="nycsportzfan"]Denarious Moore is a nice looking Sleeper WR for someone... Had some pretty explosive games, and has decent size, and elite speed... Reminds me of a Mario Manningham/Domenik Hixon type
    [/quote]Yeah he was one of the best players on the field in the Texas Nation game

giants apparently met with ollie ogbu a guy ive really like since the Shrine Bowl. didnt have a great year but really stood out to me. glad giants are looking into him.