+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dez at the club again!

Starter

Re: Dez at the club again!

[quote user="Ntegrase96"]True but there is a difference between troubled players and players that cause problems within the team.

Not saying one is better than the other. But clearly Bryant isn't disrupting the team like Owens did-- just himself and his possible future. More so like Irvin before he cleaned up his act (a bit at least) rather than Owens.

Owens didn't have off the field issues, just locker room drama that absolutely ruined team chemistry in Valley Ranch.

That's all I'm getting at.
    [/quote]

Didn't Dez create a controversy within the team when he refused to carry pads for other guys like all the other rookies were doing? Maybe he's not a cancer on the level of TO, but let's not confuse that with being a good team guy. He's a punk.

[quote user="sg92"][quote user="Ntegrase96"]True but there is a difference between troubled players and players that cause problems within the team.

Not saying one is better than the other. But clearly Bryant isn't disrupting the team like Owens did-- just himself and his possible future. More so like Irvin before he cleaned up his act (a bit at least) rather than Owens.

Owens didn't have off the field issues, just locker room drama that absolutely ruined team chemistry in Valley Ranch.

[/quote]

Didn't ESPN create a controversy within the team when he refused to carry pads for other guys like all the other rookies were doing? Maybe he's not a cancer on the level of TO, but let's not confuse that with being a good team guy. He's a punk.[/quote]

It was more like that. It was Roy Williams singling out Dez. Roy got him back later by making him pay for an entire team dinner I think. I, along with many other Cowboys fans, didn't mind Dez not carrying the pads. Roy Williams was being a **** because he was afraid Dez was going to take his job (he did) and didn't have veteran type clout anyways.

Veteran

Nt I think your grabbing at straws a bit cause you so want this dynamic talent to be what you think he is and could be.

Jeremy Shockey refused to sing at a lunch his rookie year and fought Brandon Short for it - We all thought that meant he was fiery and overlooked it.

He made terrible off the field decisions - partying hard and saying silly things - but came to play on Sundays so we overlooked it.

Players said all he wanted to do was win and worked hard - so we overlooked it when he threw coaches under the bus.

Rex Ryan told us Santonio was a good teammate. AP told us Plax was a great teammate.

The truth is these off the field issues hurt the team. Not respecting vets as a rookie hurts the team. Ok so perhaps Williams did single him out - so what he was a rook and they all do it.

Yes he was fired up against the Gmen and at times he looks ready to take on the world - but his game study seems to be off and he is hurting the team with his behavior - To me thats not a good teammate. Just as, while plax came to play - toting a gun to a club killed our year.

Its not just about winning and playing hard its about conducting yourself like a pro - sorry thats not dez, at least not yet.

I recently heard pacman jones was a good teammate and so was DeSean - PLEASE.

Veteran

[quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="sg92"][quote user="Ntegrase96"]True but there is a difference between troubled players and players that cause problems within the team.

[/quote]

Didn't ESPN create a controversy within the team when he refused to carry pads for other guys like all the other rookies were doing? Maybe he's not a cancer on the level of TO, but let's not confuse that with being a good team guy. He's a punk.[/quote]

It was more like that. It was Roy Williams singling out Dez. Roy got him back later by making him pay for an entire team dinner I think. I, along with many other Cowboys fans, didn't mind Dez not carrying the pads. Roy Williams was being a **** because he was afraid Dez was going to take his job (he did) and didn't have veteran type clout anyways.
    [/quote]

So, was it or was it not a tradition for rookies to carry pads?

[quote user="jhamburg"][quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="sg92"][quote user="Ntegrase96"]True but there is a difference between troubled players and players that cause problems within the team.

[/quote]

[/quote]

So, was it or was it not a tradition for rookies to carry pads?[/quote]

Not to my knowledge, no. At least not a Cowboys tradition.

It's something I've heard players do around the entire league to haze new guys though.

Something Dez could have done for sure, but I remember him saying something along the lines of he wasn't into playing games. He later participated in other rookie hazing as I stated above so maybe later he was humbled a bit-- maybe felt like he wasn't being singled out.

At any rate it was an early 'incident' between he and a member of the team who was on his way out. All reports are that Dez is a pretty solid teammate in the locker room.

[quote user="dave56dj"]Nt I think your grabbing at straws a bit cause you so want this dynamic talent to be what you think he is and could be.

Jeremy Shockey refused to sing at a lunch his rookie year and fought Brandon Short for it - We all thought that meant he was fiery and overlooked it.

He made terrible off the field decisions - partying hard and saying silly things - but came to play on Sundays so we overlooked it.

Players said all he wanted to do was win and worked hard - so we overlooked it when he threw coaches under the bus.

Rex Ryan told us Santonio was a good teammate. AP told us Plax was a great teammate.

The truth is these off the field issues hurt the team. Not respecting vets as a rookie hurts the team. Ok so perhaps Williams did single him out - so what he was a rook and they all do it.

Yes he was fired up against the Gmen and at times he looks ready to take on the world - but his game study seems to be off and he is hurting the team with his behavior - To me thats not a good teammate. Just as, while plax came to play - toting a gun to a club killed our year.

Its not just about winning and playing hard its about conducting yourself like a pro - sorry thats not dez, at least not yet.

I recently heard pacman jones was a good teammate and so was DeSean - PLEASE.[/quote]

Could be. I don't think I'm grasping at straws though. I've seen several players in this organization alone have off the field behavior issues that in the end didn't matter as well. Namely the guy who wore the same number as Bryant during the superbowl years.

Does that mean I'm expecting Bryant to be an all time great like Irvin was for us? Not exactly. And I'm not saying the minor incidents off the field for Bryant can't blossom into bigger problems. All I'm saying is you have to take it for what it is right now.

Like I said though, he needs a baby sitter when there's no football left to be played.

Veteran

[quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="jhamburg"][quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="sg92"][quote user="Ntegrase96"]True but there is a difference between troubled players and players that cause problems within the team.

[/quote]

[/quote]

So, was it or was it not a tradition for rookies to carry pads?[/quote]

Not to my knowledge, no. At least not a Cowboys tradition.

It's something I've heard players do around the entire league to haze new guys though.

Something Dez could have done for sure, but I remember him saying something along the lines of he wasn't into playing games. He later participated in other rookie hazing as I stated above so maybe later he was humbled a bit-- maybe felt like he wasn't being singled out.

At any rate it was an early 'incident' between he and a member of the team who was on his way out. All reports are that Dez is a pretty solid teammate in the locker room.
    [/quote]

I think he actually said something like "I was drafted to play football not carry pads" which isn't really the kind of attitude you want to see in a rookie. I'll buy that he's a good teammate but I don't think you can just put the whole thing on R. Williams, every team has some type of hazing rituals they go through.

Starter

[quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="JPP"][quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="I Bleed Blue 56"]Sounds like another T.O to me the cowboys will never learn Jerry Jones just loves these SEXY picks lmao[/quote]

Couldn't be more wrong.

Terrell Owens is a cancer in the locker room and an all time great when it comes to WR.
    Dez Bryant is a good teammate whose issues start and end when there's no football to be played.

Terrell Owens was a manipulator who could poison and infect a locker room enough to split it down the middle.
    Dez Bryant sticks up for teammates and gives a 100%. Not really smart enough to be a T.O., but don't get me wrong, not calling the kid dumb.

Terrell Owens was a me player
    Dez Bryant is a team player

Terrell Owens had a lot of drops
    Bryant led the league in the least amount of drops

Owens was a hard worker
    Bryant is a natural talent

I could go on and on, but I can just some this up by saying Bryant is closer to Irvin if we're comparing to former Cowboys players.

That said. This guy needs a baby-sitter.
    [/quote]

Obviously your right those comparisons show different but basically it comes down to this we hear more about him off the football field then on it and that isn't good and it makes it seem like he is more concerned about his jewelry then making an impact on the field. Now we don't know him or know what his personality is like on the field and no one but his team mates does but you can see where people get the idea he is slowly turning into a cancer with all of his off the field distractions. I wish the guy the best of luck though in getting all of these distractions cleared up.[/quote]

True but there is a difference between troubled players and players that cause problems within the team.

[/quote]

They are good points and it would be naive of us to just assume he is another TO just because of a couple off the field issues. I think most of the people in this thread are grasping at straws and hoping more so than thinking that Dez is a cancer. He has all the tools, now you guys just have to hope he wraps it all up nicely and delivers it on game night.

All-Pro

[quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="I Bleed Blue 56"]Sounds like another T.O to me the cowboys will never learn Jerry Jones just loves these SEXY picks lmao[/quote]

Couldn't be more wrong.

Terrell Owens is a cancer in the locker room and an all time great when it comes to WR.
    <U>Dez Bryant is a good teammate whose issues start and end when there's no football to be played.
    </U>

Terrell Owens was a manipulator who could poison and infect a locker room enough to split it down the middle.
    Dez Bryant sticks up for teammates and gives a 100%. Not really smart enough to be a T.O., but don't get me wrong, not calling the kid dumb.

Owens was a hard worker

I could go on and on, but I can just some this up by saying Bryant is closer to Irvin if we're comparing to former Cowboys players.

[/quote]</P>

His issues stay off the football field huh? What about when he made a spat and refused to be hazed as a rookie. The vets did not take kind to that attittude and it created a locker room problem from the get go. Dez thought he was better then that and the vets didnt approve. </P>

Add that to all the off the field stuff, and there you go. </P>

Complete headcase. </P>

Justin Blackmon is going to be better then Dez as a football player and as a person. Much better. As will Nicks be.</P>

[quote user="TuckYou"]

[quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="I Bleed Blue 56"]Sounds like another T.O to me the cowboys will never learn Jerry Jones just loves these SEXY picks lmao[/quote]

Couldn't be more wrong.

<u>Dez Bryant is a good teammate whose issues start and end when there's no football to be played.
    </u>

Owens was a hard worker

[/quote]</p>

His issues stay off the football field huh? What about when he made a spat and refused to be hazed as a rookie. The vets did not take kind to that attittude and it created a locker room problem from the get go. Dez thought he was better then that and the vets didnt approve. </p>

Add that to all the off the field stuff, and there you go. </p>

Complete headcase. </p>

Justin Blackmon is going to be better then Dez as a football player and as a person. Much better. As will Nicks be.</p>[/quote]

http://www.dallascowboys.com/multime...E0E4734196F32D

Bam. The real riffraff behind the pads incident. I already talked about it above.

I don't doubt that Nicks will have the overall better career than Bryant. Justin Blackmon? He's a much more similar WR to Nicks than he is Bryant, so I don't doubt that he could have a better career as well.

Never liked the saying that Dez is a headcase. It just doesn't seem to fit. Immature? Yeah. Headcase? T.O. was a headcase. T.O. suffered from little guy syndrome and had to be fed the ball consistently or he'd throw a tantrum-- and his tantrums tore teams apart.

I'm not overly optimistic that Bryant will reach his full physical potential. But if he does the combination his size, speed, body control, elusiveness, hands, ability to track the ball in the air are second to only Larry Fitzgerald.

+ Reply to Thread