+ Reply to Thread

Derrick Martin unsung hero typifies players' in-season growth

One of the unsung heroes, who many would have thrown overboard during the season.

But, like so many other Giants who stepped up in 2007(-08), Martin has learned some valuable lessons through in-season mistakes. He made one of the most important plays of the game Sunday.

It is also an indication of the quality coaching staff that the Giants organization possesses.

Martin was among the front line that learned a team lesson when an offside kick completely fooled the Giants front line during the season. He, as well as the rest of the line were not backpeddling when the attempted onsides kick occurred in the second quarter, with the score tied at 10. Rather Martin calmly made the play, capturing the ball, and made Mike McCarthy look desparate.

[*]See the play here[/list]
      Martin was a member of the Packers in 2009 where he played in 14 games, with 20 tackles and 5 assists, as well as 5 games there in 2010 (6 and 3).

After coming out with the infamous double penalty on one special teams play, then another penalty later in the year, it must have driven Coach Coughlin crazy. Most outsiders had to think that the Giants needed to get rid of him.

But the Giants didn't let Martin go, and it paid off during Sunday's game with a huge special teams play.

Derrick Martin is a five year veteran from Wyoming. He played his High School ball in Denver. Martin played his first three years in the NFL for the Ravens.

Bench Player

Re: Derrick Martin unsung hero typifies players' in-season growth

That's crazy to see someone else from Wyoming. With the exception of Jay Novacek they are pretty ambiguous at best.

No offense. This postis a stretch. Yes, he got the onside kick, but I was truely shocked to see him on the field after his regular season performances. But falling on a ball that was rolled right into his chest does not quite count as a reason to annoint this guy anything. Seriously???

I've heard Martin's name called quite a few times over the past few weeks. He's doing his part.

He was in on the first fumble that was called back on special teams, as well as several tackles on St's. He showed up yesterday.

[quote user="FishinTheSalt"]No offense. This postis a stretch. Yes, he got the onside kick, but I was truely shocked to see him on the field after his regular season performances. But falling on a ball that was rolled right into his chest does not quite count as a reason to annoint this guy anything. Seriously???[/quote]

Here we go. Another fan just knowing who the Giants should or shouldn't keep. Did you see all his practice time? Did you see him study film and ask questions?

This epitomizes the problem with "fan experts." They are clueless as to 1) how a player progresses; and 2) what other players are out there that may or may not be better replacements; and 3) replacement players that don't mess up the salary cap.

Then, he makes a key play under huge playoff pressure when the momentum is with the Packers at that point, and: "Oh, it's nothing." About forty-two percent of those plays succeed for the offense. If the Giant players were backing off, that one probably would have worked too.

[quote user="GreenZone"][quote user="FishinTheSalt"]No offense. This postis a stretch. Yes, he got the onside kick, but I was truely shocked to see him on the field after his regular season performances. But falling on a ball that was rolled right into his chest does not quite count as a reason to annoint this guy anything. Seriously???[/quote]

Here we go. Another fan just knowing who the Giants should or shouldn't keep. Did you see all his practice time? Did you see him study film and ask questions?

This epitomizes the problem with "fan experts." They are clueless as to 1) how a player progresses; and 2) what other players are out there that may or may not be better replacements; and 3) replacement players that don't mess up the salary cap.

Then, he makes a key play under huge playoff pressure when the momentum is with the Packers at that point, and: "Oh, it's nothing." About forty-two percent of those plays succeed for the offense. If the Giant players were backing off, that one probably would have worked too.
    [/quote]

Backup genius, no expert here, and i said "no offense". Did "you" see him practice/study film?Mygod, where did youget this inside information? (and I want a link)I'm noone to hate on giants players, in fact, I would be considered a homer. You dont know me at all. But just because he fell on a ball that rolled into his lap does not make him a super star. This is the dumbest thing ive ever read.

[quote user="FishinTheSalt"](and I want a link)*But just because he fell on a ball that rolled into his lap does not make him a super star. This is the dumbest thing ive ever read.

[/quote]

You, in your angry replies, miss the whole point. You blow up when you assume he's being called a superstar, when he's not. You minimize a play that was more difficult than you give any credit for.

This team is solidly coached and players not being fooled again by an onsides kick, and a player doing a positive, rather than a negative is the difference we're seeing in this team in the post season.

This is just such a great example of fans seeing a few plays and making a heavy judgment in something they have no business doing. They get passionate enough to actually hate a player for making mistakes. Bizarre.

You don't need to find a way to vent your anger here. Your judgment of my post was no more accurate than assessment of the play of Derrick Martin.

All-Pro

yeah, looking back on it, SF did us a favor ... Martin had his eyes glued on the ball ... he wasn't even thinking of turning and running ... and luckily it went right to him, but can you imagine having 5 huge guys running at you while you try to catch a tumbling ball ... great play kid!!!!!