+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What 49ers Giants playoff games have you people witnessed?

I'm curious as to which ones you folks have actually watched. I'm in my mid twenties, so obviously I wasn't around for the ones in the eighties. The only one I remember in full detail was 2002. I know full detail as to what happened in those games by doing basic research, but you only get so much from looking at a boxscore and even highlights of old games. I'm talking about the entire broadcast. I was able to get my hands on the 1989 and 1990 regular season games with the full broadcast, but the only fully broadcast of the playoffs I've gotten my hands are were 1985 when the 49ers lost 17-3. It was interesting because I had never seen Montana that mad before when he threw a pass to his tight end John Frank who dropped it (49ers were dropping passes all game long) and he mouthed the words "Got damnit catch it please!" in clear frustration. I was going to rewatch the 1990 NFC Championship game again. I think it's on YouTube somewhere.

Re: What 49ers Giants playoff games have you people witnessed?

I have seen every playoff game the Giants/49ers have played.....not sure that is a good thing...just means I am old.Jim Burt and Leonard Marshall hitting Montana and causing turnovers late in games are 2 things I remember best,,,,The 90 playoff game was classic with Matt Bahr kicking a last second field goal to win it and send us to play Buffalo and ending 49ers chance at 3 peat
    "When I was 15, I could not believe how dumb my father was.....when I was 25, I could not believe how much he had learned in 10 years"

1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"

Ive seen em all..
    The first One I saw was the 1981 Diviosional playoff at Candlestick. Colse game until the 4th qauter, then 49ers pulled away.
    I remember a long TD in that game..Brunner to Perkins for like 80 yards or something. That was only the second game I ever seen my Giants in the playoffs,and as a kid it.took me like a month to get over . I rewatched some oft that game on youtube a year ago.

A few years later..they met again in Candlestick..Giants losing a hard fought 21-10 game or something liket that on a rainy day in Candlestick.

Nothing will come close to classic game for the 1990 NFC Championship.

Anyway, heres to a good game and another classic on Sunday. BOL

As a youngster I was casually aware of football... So I vaguely remember catching the tail end of the Steeler dynasty (back then every kid had to pick Steelers, Raiders, or Cowboys, the Giants were a laughing stock). I vaguely remember catching the big games, the early play of LT, knocking out the defending champ 49ers in 1985 and then getting slaughtered by the Bears... Continued like this until...

1990 MNF vs 49ers, both teams were 11-1, regular season matchup of the year. The whole country shut down to go watch that game. Even though the Giants lost, I was so impressed with how hard they fought and the character they showed, I was hooked and needed to pay more attention every week, and transformed into a hard-core fan. Just in time for that 1990 Super Bowl run. The 1990 NFC Championship Game could only cement it, one of the best I've ever seen.

The 1993 playoff game against the 49ers was a trouncing. After battling the Cowboys tooth and nail for the division title and first round bye on the last game of the season and losing, going on the road and losing to the 49ers so badly (44-3) was so deflating. It would be the last time we'd see Phil Simms and LT. And the last good football for about 4 years.

Then there's the 2002 playoff game... Gut wrenching meltdown. That still sticks in the hall of shame. And then to have the refs admit in the press they screwed up on the last play -- why couldn't they recall the game??? Really tough to swallow that, and it ended up being the dagger in the heart of the Fassel coaching regime.

A lot of my Giants memories, good and bad, involve the 49ers. Some of my best memories are Giants losses -- the 1990 MNF loss to the 49ers, the 2007 regular season loss to the Patriots -- because they showed character and that they had the right stuff, and they would get redemption deep in the playoffs. Obviously I'm hoping I get a 3rd one to add to this pantheon of championship memories
    8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

[quote user="Black59Razor"]the only fully broadcast of the playoffs I've gotten my hands are were 1985 when the 49ers lost 17-3. It was interesting because I had never seen Montana that mad before when he threw a pass to his tight end John Frank who dropped it (49ers were dropping passes all game long) and he mouthed the words "Got damnit catch it please!" in clear frustration.
    [/quote]

They did a box set of the Giants' 10 greatest games and that included the 1986 and 1990 playoff runs, both of which included the 49ers...

http://www.amazon.com/NFL-York-Giant.../dp/B00337Y20G

Did you know John Frank is now a hair restoration surgeon in NYC? They had a little sparring segment between him and Sean Landetta on the local Fox news last night...
    8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

How times have changed.Burt would have been thrown out of the game for a hit like that today.

[quote user="Black59Razor"]I'm curious as to which ones you folks have actually watched. I'm in my mid twenties, so obviously I wasn't around for the ones in the eighties. The only one I remember in full detail was 2002. I know full detail as to what happened in those games by doing basic research, but you only get so much from looking at a boxscore and even highlights of old games. I'm talking about the entire broadcast. I was able to get my hands on the 1989 and 1990 regular season games with the full broadcast, but the only fully broadcast of the playoffs I've gotten my hands are were 1985 when the 49ers lost 17-3. It was interesting because I had never seen Montana that mad before when he threw a pass to his tight end John Frank who dropped it (49ers were dropping passes all game long) and he mouthed the words "Got damnit catch it please!" in clear frustration. I was going to rewatch the 1990 NFC Championship game again. I think it's on YouTube somewhere.
    [/quote]

I've seen them all since this playoff rivalry between these two teams began back in 1981, the 49ers first super bowl and the birth of the 9er dynasty. 9ers won that game something like 38 to 24 and went on to win the first of five super bowls!! so there is a long history, 9ers are 4-3 against the Giants. But also a couple of years, the Giants knocked the 9ers off, if it wasn't for that, the 9ers would have 7 Lombardi trophies!!!

I go back to watching the 86 demolition of the 49ers where Burt knocked Montana into the middle of next week with his hit.

I watched the '90 NFCCG but was too young to remember.

Of course, I remember 44-3 and 39-38. Ugh.

This thread reminds me of how it just feels "right" to have a Giants/49ers NFC Championship game again.

I go back to when they beat us in 1984 but I don't remember the game.

I just remember their pompous fans holding up a sign at Candlestick that read "The Giants Never Win Here."

I've hated their asses ever since.
    http://boards.giants.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25347&dateline=138526  4905 Get well, get back #80