+ Reply to Thread

A fans perspective as to why bad officiating bothers me!

In years past I always felt most bad calls do even out as the game and season wears on. Yet the last 2-3 years there have been obvious/glaring bad calls for not only the Giants but other teams. (Mid way through the season I posted on all the bad calls we were getting, and some felt I was blowing it out of proportion, yet its just getting worse)

But I will say this is the reason it bothers me. We know how much time and effort the Teams FO, Coaching staff, and players put into the game. Do not forget the fans who follow the teams.

While the game is for our entertainment and fun, we also put in our time to watch and prepare for the games. We have our emotions locked into our teams hence the word fan (fanatic). While some take it to another level and others may not, we still all put in time of a minimum of 3 hours a week.

Now after all that cheering, rooting, debating about our team, to have an official(s) make calls that can affect a season in its most important stage(s) is atrocious. The NFL says they are here for the FAN EXPERIENCE, but how can hundreds of thousands to millions of fans feel if they feel their team got screwed after all they went through to get there? (Do not forget about the fans who travel, and spend a lot of money to watch their team, not even talking about merchandise)

I remember how pissed/upset/annoyed I was after the SF 2002 debacle. After all that cheering, and rooting for our team, it all was taken away by a NON-CALL that should have been called, especially when they knew the player was eligible (I guess you can see it bugs me to this day, yet not close to what it was when it happened(can't imagine the feeling it was for the team))

Then you may say I cannot take a loss. Well that is incorrect as two years prior we got killed by the Ravens, and I felt the better team had won, with no excuse or exceptions.

We are cheering for our team, and most can handle a bad call or two, but not in the way it has been happening recently. And listening to some just poo-poo it like its not a big deal, or its just a game or entertainment (well then call it NFE (National Football Entertainment, like the WWE and then I understand the product i am dealing with(remember they tried that and it did not work well)) or hey you won so who cares (yea thankfully, but what if we didn't, and worst yet, what about the following week? Is that something we need to worry/concern ourselves about?)

Just a fans perspective. Take it as you will.

Peace,
    DragonSoul

Twitter Account! https://twitter.com/DragonSoul

Re: A fans perspective as to why bad officiating bothers me!

but if you look at it from a whole game perspective the calls, while they sucked, shaped the game. The game's result is what it was because of the calls and non calls.....

The results are what matters most....

Like Rolle said..."they stay focused no matter what" Bad calls or bad plays.....keep the focus.

"Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

[quote user="GameTime"]

but if you look at it from a whole game perspective the calls, while they sucked, shaped the game. The game's result is what it was because of the calls and non calls.....

Like Rolle said..."they stay focused no matter what"* Bad calls or bad plays.....keep the focus.

[/quote]I guaruntee you none would be talking that way if they did not win.

Btw in the past (including this season), they have lost focus more then a few times. Which have cost us. I was actually worried they would be demoralized and/or lose focus since we have seen it before, but TC and the players manned up and got it done. And hats off to them for that. Was very impressive.
    Peace,
    DragonSoul

I'm with you DS, I have little tolerance for poor officiating. And it makes no difference to me who wins the game.

Most importantly officials need to call a "balanced" game. They need to call it both ways. But yet we watched Eli get taken down after a pass with excessive force by Matthews. We watched Eli get a hand to his face and then a helmet to his back, and yet the officials call Osi for some phantom foul.

Bottom line is those officials should have called their last game. They obviously are incapable of doing that job.

http://boards.giants.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25347&dateline=138526  4905

Torque it till it breaks, then back off a quarter turn.

[quote user="Roosevelt"]I'm with you DS, I have little tolerance for poor officiating.* And it makes no difference to me who wins the game.*

Most importantly officials need to call a "balanced" game.* They need to call it both ways.* But yet we watched Eli get taken down after a pass with excessive* force by Matthews.* We watched Eli get a hand to his face and then a helmet to his back, and yet the officials call Osi for some phantom foul.

Bottom line is those officials should have called their last game.* They obviously are incapable of doing that job.*

[/quote]So true.

I have always said, call it the same way for both sides, or do not call it at all. Amazing how Snee got called for a questionable call if you saw the replay, but on 2 plays on JPP were not help, especially one on 3rd down that Rodgers ran for a 1st. That was when Buck said look at JPP throwing his hands up because he is frustrated he cannot get to JPP. NO IDIOT HE IS FRUSTRATED BECAUSE HE IS BEING HELD AND ITS NOT BEING CALLED.
    Peace,
    DragonSoul

[quote user="DragonSoul"][quote user="Roosevelt"]I'm with you DS, I have little tolerance for poor officiating. And it makes no difference to me who wins the game.

Most importantly officials need to call a "balanced" game. They need to call it both ways. But yet we watched Eli get taken down after a pass with excessive force by Matthews. We watched Eli get a hand to his face and then a helmet to his back, and yet the officials call Osi for some phantom foul.

Bottom line is those officials should have called their last game. They obviously are incapable of doing that job.

[/quote]So true.

I have always said, call it the same way for both sides, or do not call it at all. Amazing how Snee got called for a questionable call if you saw the replay, but on 2 plays on JPP were not help, especially one on 3rd down that Rodgers ran for a 1st. That was when Buck said look at JPP throwing his hands up because he is frustrated he cannot get to JPP. NO IDIOT HE IS FRUSTRATED BECAUSE HE IS BEING HELD AND ITS NOT BEING CALLED.[/quote]

lol. That is amazing Buck is that stupid.
    http://boards.giants.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25347&dateline=138526  4905

Torque it till it breaks, then back off a quarter turn.

The playoffs are supposed to be the "best of the best" so far thru all the playoffs not just Giants games. We have seen the "worst of the worst".

Veteran

[quote user="DragonSoul"][quote user="GameTime"]

Like Rolle said..."they stay focused no matter what" Bad calls or bad plays.....keep the focus.

[/quote]I guaruntee you none would be talking that way if they did not win. Btw in the past (including this season), they have lost focus more then a few times. Which have cost us. I was actually worried they would be demoralized and/or lose focus since we have seen it before, but TC and the players manned up and got it done. And hats off to them for that. Was very impressive.[/quote]

It is hard to say they kept focus because at the end of the day both the Osi call and the non-fumble call were not scoring plays. The Giants were a bit shell-shocked after both those plays and did end up giving up TD's not right away but a few plays later. Luckily they were inconsequential as both sides of the ball made key plays at other times to squash any hopes GB had to take advantage. They kept their focus for 95% of the game but were definitely a little stunned after the bad calls when they happened (who wouldn't be)and it hurt them.

Bottom line though is they won and did so convincingly against thedefending champsthat had the best record in the NFL on their turf so who cares about the miniscule 5%lol!

Over 5500 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

[quote user="Gianthunter"]The playoffs are supposed to be the "best of the best" so far thru all the playoffs not just Giants games. We have seen the "worst of the worst".[/quote]Agreed. The thing was, people were kind of tongue and cheeking it that it will happen again and get screwed in the playoff game.

I honestly felt if anything it would be called down the line, and at best there would be no issues at all. Since this was a big time game, many would be watching, and there were some questionable calls in the previous games.

Yet they were even worse then the original GB vs NYG. I couldn't believe it.
    Peace,
    DragonSoul

Late day bump
    Peace,
    DragonSoul